It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2005, 10:16 PM   #1

QuestionGuy101 HB User
Sleepless nights

My friend has been having fibromyalgia for about 2 years by now. Of all the usual symptoms, the hardest one for her to deal with is the sleepless nights. She cannot remember the last time she had a really deep and long sleep because of the constant pain in one side of her body from shoulder to waist and the racing heartbeats which usually speed up after she falls asleep. Her doctor is not much of help to make the situation better for her.

I hope you can share your experience or knowledge. Is there any way to improve the quality of her sleep? Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

Old 08-06-2005, 09:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Re: Sleepless nights

Sleepless nights are a problem for a lot of us fm'ers. We have had threads on this in the past, you may want to look them up.

I take ambien 10mg and a muscle relaxer (zanaflex generic) 6mg and 25mg of OTC benadryl. I take the ambien and zanaflex everynight, and most nights the benadryl. I could not fall a sleep or stay asleep without it. I have tried Sonata, another sleep med, but did not like it. It did not work as fast and I would wake up every two hours. I have taken ambien and zanaflex for about 2yrs. now and have not had any problems with it. Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2005, 09:42 AM   #3
(female)

fibrogirl HB User

Tell her to write me....I'll be up. I, too, suffer sleepless nights. I am very lucky if I get 3hrs in a night. So tired during the day, but too tired to sleep (if that makes any sense). My doc put me on Trazodone low dose to help with sleep and it helps getting me to sleep, but I can't stay asleep. I wish her the best of luck. I know how awful she feels.

Old 08-12-2005, 10:20 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

I know how insomnia can do a number on your body and mind.

I have had a life time of insomnia. I actually at one time in my life went a full week with no sleep. I was younger than and so use to not sleeping that I was still able to work, although I did not drive. I finally went to a doctor who in harsh words told me how dangerous it was in no uncertain terms to not have slept for such a long period of time. Now mind you, that was a full week of no sleep and by then I was hallucinating...

I was so used to it that when I got Fibro it didn't bother me so much. It has been more of an issue the older I get since when I do not sleep my pain level escalates and I cannot bound back as easily. I do know how horrible she feels.

I too take ambien and a muscle relaxer. One of the things I went back to is Melatonin, a natural substance in our bodies that is usually in low doses when we are not getting enough sleep. I have found that even with taking a sleeping medication and relaxer, they do not work well enough for me unless I take Melatonin with it. You can get melatonin in most drug stores in the vitamin section and of course in health stores and such.

I too get the racing heart, I wonder if it is our bodies trying to run on adrenaline since we are not getting enough rest. Tell your friend that if her doctor isn't helping her with sleep problems, she may need to see a new one. No sleep or little sleep equals more pain and more anxiety. Being too tired to sleep makes a lot of sense to me, and for most of us FMr's, sleep is a constant problem.

Tell her she must be her own advocate in many ways with her health and if she is not finding the right guidance she may need to seek it elsewhere. I stress this since it is so important to have a doctor that listens and can help with sleeping. For me it is very critical.

Good luck, sometimes eventually our bodies will let us sleep. I know it sounds silly, try not to worry about it and you will get more sleep. As Glojer suggested, she might want to look up some of the old threads on sleep.

I hope you friend gets some good rest. Even when I cannot sleep, I feel that since I am at least laying down and resting my body it is helping. A lot of this is mind tricks I have learned to use through out the years of not sleeping.

Peace and love, Hangin

Old 08-12-2005, 02:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

I too lay in bed and rest even if I can't sleep, it just seems to help. Well said Hangin, very good advice.

Closed Thread