It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2005, 10:04 AM   #1
(female)

hummingbirdhope HB User
physical Therapy and burning sensation

Has anyone tried this (PT) for FMS. I am currently getting treatments 3x aweek, TENS Heat, and sonogram treatments to my back and neck, but as soon as it is over it is over. When I go to my car to drive home the pain is just as severe in my back as it was before they started. They keep asking if I am getting relief but I do not think I will as long as I have to remain in a sitting position for over 10 minutes. Just wanted to know if and how these treatment helped or if they helped at all. Also after the therapy my skin feels like it is burning and stinging, has anyone experienced this after therapy. Thanks

Last edited by hummingbirdhope; 08-05-2005 at 02:58 PM.

Old 08-05-2005, 08:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User
Re: physical Therapy

I've started PT. They tried mysofascial release, which did nothing, so I asked if they could do ischemic compression. It hurts like crazy when they do it, but it helps my tight back and neck muscles (after I stop being sore for a few days afterwards)>
Next week they'll try a TENS unit.
Do you mean you have to remain sitting while the therapy goes on? Or that sitting in general is impossible for more than l0 minutes?
For me, I have found that very intense massage w/concentration on painful trigger points helps, temporarily. And that's done w/me lying down.

I hope something works for you soon.

Seaturtle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2005, 06:55 AM   #3
(female)

hummingbirdhope HB User

Seaturtle,
As You Can See I Can Not Get My Thoughts And Word Sout Correctly, What I Was Trying To Say About The Sitting Is When I Leave I Have To Drive Home About 30 Minutes And About 10 Minutes After Getting In The Car My Back Is Hurting As Much Or More. I Do Not Know How I Will Ever Get Relief. But Thanks

Old 08-06-2005, 09:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

I have had PT for the neck and back pain of FM and it has helped. Of course the pain returns, but I do get relief for a while. It's about time for me to go again although I try to do all the things at home I know they are going to have me do. It is just that they do that extra massage and manipulation thing that seems to help so much in the beginning.

Old 08-07-2005, 08:02 PM   #5
(female)

vnels HB User

I have been trying a new therapy. I tried traditional PT, pool therapy, chiropractic...nothing seemed to be of much help, and except for the pool therapy, it often made me feel worse! Right now the therapist is using the Fendenkrise method...I know that isn't the way it is spelled, but it is a very easy redirection of my muscles. To me it feels like she is just laying her hands on me and then gently encouraging my muscles to go to a position that does't hurt. It is amazing to me. They have a web site that you might be able to google and see it there is a therapist near you. Good luck with trying to find something that works for you!
Vicki

Old 08-08-2005, 05:40 PM   #6
(female)

ksp HB Userksp HB Userksp HB User

Hummingbird,
I was diagnosed with Chronic Myofacial Pain Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, and the beginning of Osteoarthritis 3 years ago and I'm only 27 (living in a 90 year old body). I have tried PT,(did nothing) Biofeedback, (what a joke I can't relax my muscle for 2 seconds) Massage therapy, (after massaging and taping me several times she gave up) Chiropractors, (hurt worse than when I came in) Trigger point injections, (worked for about 2 days) Botox, (to kill the muscles on my shoulder- didn't work) and many many pain meds, sleep meds, and NSAIDS. Currently I take nothing for any of it (I just deal with it) but I do have Morophine that I only take when I can't stand the pain anymore. The only trouble with that is that it doesn't take the pain away, it just makes you not think about it for 12 hours. I hope you find something that works for you and let us know if you do....
KSP
PS:The burning and stinging after PT is from them working on your muscles, and from the Tens unit.

Old 08-10-2005, 02:51 PM   #7
(female)

ksp HB Userksp HB Userksp HB User

Just a quick message.
I just read that if you take a hot bath in Epsom Salt and ground Ginger that it can help to keep you from being in more pain after gointg to PT.

KSP

Closed Thread