It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2005, 08:57 PM   #1
(female)

june789 HB User
can one have fibromalgia without tendor points?

Hello~

can you have fibromalgia without tendor points?

thinking back my appointment with rheumatologist, I wasn't senstive to most of trigger points/tendor points that fibromalagia shows except one on the neck.
however, I have a pain on thick muscle (eg, upper arm and thigh) when pressure is applied or when I tap the table, my fingertips hurt.

I was first told that I might have RSD, then fibromalgia, and now recently I'm told that I have early signs of having psoriatic arthritis.
I'm just trying to figure out source of my symptoms.

thank you for reading

Last edited by june789; 08-07-2005 at 08:58 PM.

Old 08-07-2005, 11:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Re: can one have fibromalgia without tendor points?

Sounds like your Drs are pulling whatever they can out of the air. About the only sure fire way Drs can diagnose fibro is the tender points, it's the only diagnostic tool they have for this syndrome. RSD, have you had any injuries or surgeries that might account for RSD? I have RSD in both hands and it is excruciating at times. P Arthritis, do you have psoriaisis? From your post it just sounds like the Drs are guessing and not really testing or searching for answers. I'd push for some tests beyond tender points or guessing games.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2005, 07:52 AM   #3
(female)

june789 HB User

thank you for the reply~

and yes, I had injured thumb flexor tendon on both hands. and a week later the injury, my left hand spasmed so bad and it got so cold too. afterward I kept getting more spasms and burning pain. So first dr s thought I have RSD, but I wasn't sensitive to touch and my x-rays didn't have any sign of lose of bone density (although x-rays were taken only 3 months later the onset, I don't know how long it takes one to see the loss of bone density with RSD)
So initially they thought of RSD and now they says it's fibromalgia, and lastly radiologist found that I'm losing a space in the joints on couple of my finger

I'm not sure what else dr s can do since my symptoms don't show classical symptoms of both RSD nor fibromalagia.

I'm sorry to hear that you have RSD, how long did it take for dr s to diagonise you? do you have classical symptoms like being sensitive to touch?

thank you for reading

Old 08-08-2005, 05:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Mine are classical, it was probably 7 months after the surgery on the left hand that I started showing signs of it, I also ended up with reactive arthritis in that hand as well. It took a year to determine it was RSD. With the type of surgery I had (carpal tunnel and ulnar nerve release)it takes about ayear to know what path it took, or even if it worked, it didn't and it left me with arthritis and RSD in left hand . The right hand I only had carpal tunnel release 5 yrs ago and it came back along with arthritis. The RSD kicked in last year after I fell and landed on it, duh!!! Anyway you look at it both Fibro and RSD are funky syndromes and Docs have a hard time diagnosing them until they are in full bloom. I know that thumb flexor problem, those thumbs can be down right painful, both of mine are very arthritis now. So maybe they will be able to diagnose better later on down the road, it took a year and 3 Drs to finally see it as RSD on me. I didn't know bone density was part of RSD, at least they have never mentioned it. I have osteoporosis anyway so my bone density is already very moderate to severe so why tell me I guess.

Closed Thread