It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2005, 12:45 AM   #1
(female)

Lindalt HB User
Question Newly Diagnosed

I am 31 and have just been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.

My Rheumatologist prescribed some anti-depressant - but I am reluctant to take any anti-depressants.

Is this a normal practice for them to prescbribe anti-depressants for Fibromyalgia?

Old 08-08-2005, 05:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Re: Newly Diagnosed

Hiya Lindy,

Welcome to the family. You really have come to a brilliant place for support and understanding. You can ask whatever you wish here and someone will always come and answer you. Ask the questions that you feel are important to you, don't hold back, everyone is so understanding.

I can only speak from my own experience of course, others no doubt will come and tell you theirs. I was only diagnosed with fibro about a year ago. I have lupus and lots of other medical conditons, so diagnosing fibro was a smack in the eye for me he he !!

I was prescribed AD's and I thought, "hello I'm not depressed about this, just very annoyed that I have something else to put up with". The doctor explained to me that if I took these, then the muscles and so on in my body would relax more and then I would not have as much pain to deal with.

This is the way it was explained to me. There have been quite a few discussions here on the board about this issue, maybe if you scroll down and go back on the topics pages you will find the talk on the pros and cons of AD's.

I look forward to speaking to you often. Take care.

goldenwings

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2005, 09:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Hi Lindy, Yes it seems that anti D's are the standard for prescribing for fibro. I took the first one prescribed amitryptilin and it didn't work as a matter of fact it gave me a hangover. After that when the doc suggested it was time to try a new anti D I said NO. I didn't want to fall in that category of here is an anti D get happy and don't bother me. Please don't get me wrong, I know they work for a lot of people and are a wonderful drug for some. I just can't take them and I wanted meds that would address the fibro pain and symptoms without stoning me out. All I really use now is ambien for sleep and muscle relaxers. I take prednisone for my lupus joint pain and synthroid for hypothyroid.

That is something you need to check on also, make sure your thyroid is in range between 1and 3 (not 5) that can help a lot. The medications you take are your choice!! Be proactive in your healthcare and make the docs work with you to find the meds and alternative options that may help you. Good Luck.

Old 08-08-2005, 05:16 PM   #4
(female)

ksp HB Userksp HB Userksp HB User

Welcome Lindy,
I was diagnosed with Fibro about 3 years ago and I too was perscribed ADs. I think the reason they do this is to keep your stress level down, also I read on this poard in one of the sticky-posts that Fibro can attack the grey matter in the part of your brain that regulates the seratonin (happy fluid). I like Glojer, stopped taking my ADs and don't really see a diffrence after being on them for about 2 years, and now off of them for about a year. Everyones body reacts diffrently to meds so you need to make your own decisions. Any more questions feel free to ask, we're all here for you.

KSP

Old 08-11-2005, 05:23 PM   #5
(female)

need2talk2 HB User
Question Re: Newly Diagnosed

I was on Celexa when diagnosed and he added Wellbutrin to it. I also said that I didn't need it. Maybe I do. This sure is depressing. My appetite, especially craving for sugar is "out of control" - any suggestions.

Old 08-12-2005, 10:08 AM   #6
(female)

Lost Robin HB User

Hello everyone,

My doc prescribed Cymbalta and I'm now on the max dose. While it doesn't really do anything to help my pain, I think I do benefit from it because the way my life has been for the past couple of years, it's a miracle that I haven't just allowed myself to curl up in a corner and die. I have such severe pain, fatique and brain fog that I have almost NO quality of life. If this weren't bad enough, I have a 17 year-old son who has been seriously ill for the past year. Meantime, I'm trying to work full-time in a demanding job managing 2 regional offices and give time and attention to my lovely 14 year-old daughter. I'm divorced and their father is no help at all.

I'm terrified I'm not going to be able to work much longer. I'm 50 years old with very little money in my retirement plan (my ex wouldn't let me have a retirement plan when we were married), and I'd have to finish raising my children on a measley disability check.

I've never felt so scared and lonely in my entire life.

Gosh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to start a self-pity party. It's just that this is the way I really feel and I have no one else to talk to.

My brain fog is settling back in and I can't remember right now what this thread was all about.

have a nice day everyone.

Robin

Old 08-15-2005, 02:08 PM   #7
(female)

DecLady HB User

My first Doc visit had me walking out with amitriptyline, and vicoden prescriptions. I took the amitrip for about a year...had periodontal issues from the dry mouth, weight gain, and eventually was waking up 6 to 10 times a night..which was way worse than when I started. I then tried Nortriptaline...which was no better. So, after some online research....I stopped taking it. And told my doctor no more . About 4 months later he wanted me to try Prozac...but I said no..too many risks...not worth it for me. After a detailed conversation...he finally understands where I stand on my care, and has been more willing to work with me.
All that being said, I know that some people have success with those meds. So, you have to decide if you want to try them or not.
I am 3 year post dx...and my big issues now are pain, for which I take vicoden, and fatigue, which I work around as best I can. My sleep issues seem to have evened out and I get between 7 to 8 hours every night. I am only getting disrupted sleep when I am in a flare and the pain wakes me up! But, if I am smart and have brought the vicoden upstairs with me...I can take one and get back to sleep. Thank good ness that isnt' too often.

Old 08-15-2005, 02:58 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Declady that is great about your sleep, I just can't fall asleep and when I eventually do sleep it is only for a few minutes at a time and sometimes actually one or two hours. I take the sleep meds, which is the point about each individual choosing what works for them. I didn't take the amitriptyline for more than a month and I knew that wasn't for me. I felt I gave it a good enough try, it did not help my sleep problem so I moved on to other meds (ambien). It is our choice!

Closed Thread