It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2005, 07:55 AM   #1
(female)

What next! HB User
mri results

Hi

Had my result from mri and it reads

MRI brain and cervical spine did not show any changes compatible with MS or other significant pathology. The studies were withiun normal limits with only small osteophytes in the cervical vertebrae bones but no significant disc lesion.

Does anyone know what this means, I am in lot of pain in my hips and have loss of muscle strength in my arms and legs are burning on excercise.

Thanks in advance

PS I was dx with TMJ 2 weeks ago also

Old 08-08-2005, 08:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Re: mri results

Hello there,

I am not a medical doctor but I have a little information for you:-

The medical term for bone spurs is osteophytes, and they represent an enlargement of the normal bony structure. Basically, osteophytes are a radiographic marker of spinal degeneration (aging) and are by and large a normal finding as we age. Over the age of 60, bone spurs are actually quite common.

The term "bone spurs" is really a bit of a misnomer, as the term "spurs" implies that the osteophytes are "poking" some part of the spinal anatomy and causing pain. However, this is not at all true. Bone spurs are in fact smooth structures that form over a prolonged period of time, often causing back pain.

From what I am reading into it, it means that it is normal wear and tear. From what you describe in muscle strength loss and burning of same, this definitely sounds fibro related. Maybe a bit of arthritis in your hips?

The tmj diagnosis - I had this and it caused me a lot of pain, then just my luck I was involved in a car accident and it became worse. Different things i.e. gentle exercise of the jaw, not forcing your jaw open say at the dentist surgery, and so on work differently for each person. It is a case of trying to devise something that is best for you.

As I say these are only my own ideas. Someone else might be abe to help you further.

Take care

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 08-08-2005 at 08:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2005, 09:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

If you have loss of strength, is it because you haven't been able to exercise or get around much? Could the burning on exercise be the normal burning you get when your muscles are weak and you over exercise? Just a couple of suggestions.

Like Golden says some of your symptoms sound like fibro. I just went to exercise class today for the first time in a long time and I could really feel it and I know I will feel it tonight and tomorrow.

Old 08-08-2005, 10:18 AM   #4
(female)

What next! HB User

Hi

Thankyou very much for your replies.

4 years ago I started with having hot hands, I needed to put them on a cold surface every now and then. 2 years ago I started with burning in legs.

I didn't think much of it until October last year when rather quickly I became very weak in my arms, when lifting anything more than a couple of kilo.

I also started with numbness, well not complete numbness, just a weird dead arm sort of feeling, in both legs and arms.I told doctor who said it may be carpal tunnel syndrome, went to hospital, they said it wasn't, i had x ray to check for an extra rib, there wasn't one.

he said it was postural and sent me to physio therapy. At the physio, they were really concerned about all my reflexes being abnormal. They sent me to a neurologist.

He had an mri scan done as per results in original post. I have many sharp , like pains go from nape of my neck through my head.

Then 2 weeks ago after years of constant ear infections,and being passed to and fro from dentist to doctor, due to excema in ears I was told it was TMJ.

I am mother of 3 (one being autistic)
I am 37 years old and am overweight.

I think now I will concentrate on losing weight and wait until see neuro again.
I have managed so far so will also try swimming as opposed to work out at gym. See what happens.

What tablets suggest for the burning?
So Sorry for the length of post

Thanks in advance

Closed Thread