It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2005, 09:02 AM   #1
(female)

movin slo HB User
Arrow Cpap machines

Hi Family !
I was just wondering if any of you use Cpap machines for sleep apnea.
I have to and boy oh boy, what an experience! Some nites it helps and sometimes not. I have costaphobia (sp). They started me with a full mask. now I use a nasal thingy and I do get some sleep. Just wondered if it is just me having problems with this machine. I hate takeing meds. But it is either take relaxers and sleeping meds or I get as little as 1 hour a nite for a week or more.
Best wishs to all

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2005, 10:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Re: Cpap machines

Hi Movinslo,

My husband has a CPAP machine, but doesn't use it very often. He finally went to the full mask, but still can't get use to the machine. He doesn't try as hard as I think he should, but then again I take sleep meds and don't have a problem. He has stopped smoking and that has helped him some, so I know if he would lose the 30 to 40 extra pounds he has on him it would help more and he wouldn't need the machine. That will happen eventually, we are taking baby steps here first the smoking and we will ease into the exercise and giving up the hot fudge sundaes!!!

Anyway there is a lady on the lupus board and I think she might check in here once in a while, her name is Patience and she is using the CPAP and I ask her about it a while back. She said it takes a long time to get use to. She had some great information if you would go to the lupus board and just put a question out for Patience50 I know she could help you.

Were you put on the CPAP because of breathing problems and snoring problems while you sleep ( I think that is what sleep apnea is?) or because you have the fibro problem of not being able to fall asleep and go into a deep sleep and stay asleep?

I ask because I will be having a sleep study done soon and my hubby keeps telling me I will find out what it is like to try to use the CPAP. I keep arguing, my problem is that I can't fall asleep and I can't stay asleep when I finally do get to sleep. So I don't see what good a CPAP can do for that. I take sleep meds and muscle relaxers and I don't have a problem with them, but the rhuemy wants a sleep study done so I will do it.

Keep us posted.

Glojer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2005, 10:27 AM   #3
(female)

movin slo HB User
Re: Cpap machines

Hey Glojer,
Thank you for the response. I will give Patience 50 a shout. Yes, I had 2 sleep studies done. I had surgery on both feet and the surgent referred me to the sleep study. Yes it was because of snoring and bolting upright in bed when my brain said HEY,breathe! lol. I still go sometimes 2-4 days with little(2hr.) to no sleep. I too take muscle relaxers and sleeping pill both perscribed meds a long with a bunch of others. I hope you fair well on your sleep study. The machines are a P A I N.

Let me know how it goes for you

Closed Thread