It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2005, 06:41 PM   #1
(female)

ksp HB Userksp HB Userksp HB User
Question Question about back pain

Does anyone here have a CONSTANT burning sensation (like you put Ben Gay on) in your mid back or shoulders? I was reading the Fibro symptoms and I didn't see that on there so I'm curious. I have had this for many years but I've always blamed it on my Scoliosis. My shoulder thing I blame on what the docs call Chronic Myofacial Pain Syndrome. Any info would be great!

KSP

Darn Fibro fog, I've forgottten how to spell, glad this thing has an edit option...

Last edited by ksp; 08-09-2005 at 06:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2005, 10:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Re: Question about back pain

Hiya again ksp,

My we do have some of the same things going on. Yes, I have the burning pain in the back and upper shoulders when I am using my pc, or doing anything that requires me to be fairly immobile in the upper body area. It is because I am in quite a set position. Because of my disabilities, I find it difficult to move about a lot whilst I am sitting. What I do to relieve this is a set of shoulder and neck exercises I devised. It loosens things up and the burning dissipates somewhat. Mind you short breaks away from the pc should be taken as we know.

Take care

goldenwings

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2005, 11:37 AM   #3
(female)

rachellepeters HB User

Yes, I did have that too. It seemed to get worse as the day progressed, sometimes went away overnight, sometimes even sleep wouldn't make it go away.

Old 08-10-2005, 12:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

i get the same thing to. it is constant and sometime it is worse on some days. if i stop and keep still i can always feel it. my mid back happens to be my worst area for pain. it will get really bad if i have been doing alot of cleaning. even washing dishes makes it worse.
i will usually put heat or ice and it will help a little.
robin

Old 08-10-2005, 03:09 PM   #5
(female)

Thanks for all the responses.....
Golden- Are those exercises something you can try to explain on the board. I do some rolling of my neck (as long as I don't get a muscle spasm from doing it) and I kind of massage my own soulders and arms but is seems worse when I do. Hey, don't you have lupus too? How do you decipher wich one is causing this?
Rachelle- You say you did have that as in past tense??? If so, what made it go away. Mine is all day every day for many years. Mine gets worse at night when I'm resting, like right now.
Girl75- Thanks for the advise, for me if I put ice on it long enought it will numb my shoulder/back then I can't feel it because it's numb! I know what you mean about the cleaning thing, I dread it, but I'm also a perfectionist so I must. We moved into a house with no dishwasher except my 2 hands. Vaccuuming I think is the worst for me, I have to use 2 hands to even push the thing and lord help me if we don't have about 1900 square feet of carpet in this house!!
Hope this finds all of you well

KSP

Old 08-10-2005, 04:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya ksp,

I can separate the two out, the lupus pain and the fibro. Lupus is an illness I have had since I was young, so I can distinguish the pain. I have never been in remission long enough to feel better, so with lupus I have symptoms every day. I can only increase my steroids to bring the inflammation down. The problem for me is I can't take NSAID's, so I am stuck. The flares are different from fibro flares to me personally because with lupus I can actually feel my insides, brain and skin get more and more inflamed, and I can feel the increase of my symptoms. Lots more things happen, but this is a brief description. The whole of my system begins to flare up and I run high fevers. I am unable to function properly as I lose a lot of my ability to coordinate my body. With fibro I get the aching and muscle pain in definite places, so I know that the fibro is kicking off.

OK here is my own exercise regime. Please take care when trying this. This as I say is only something I devised for myself and it does help me. I am not advising you in any way medically, and I can't take responsibility for any broken limbs he he !! I need to say this so that I don't get into any trouble.

If you feel slightly dizzy, stop at once. Then if you feel like it, you can try again later. You will hear at first crunching, crackling and so on. Don't worry. This is because you are using parts of your body that are normally not used a lot. Gently is the keyword here.

All of these to be done - if you can - 5 times each, twice per day. Or failing that just as many as you can do comfortably.

Slowly lower your chin onto your chest, and bring it back slowly so you are then looking slightly up.

Slowly turn your head to "look" over your left shoulder. Repeat looking over your right shoulder. I personally go from left to right, rather than 5 times each side.

Slowly lower your left ear to your left shoulder. Repeat on the right side. Again left to right.

Hunch your shoulders up to your ears, gently let them drop.

If you can, after all of that he he, rotate your shoulders to loosen them up.

I know this is a full workout, so I don't know how you will fare. I can only do bits at a time, but it does feel looser in those places when I have done it. Even just doing your neck bit each day will help. As you do it more and more, you can definitely feel the ease coming through. It gets less tight in time. You have to try and do a bi each day though if you can. I know how hard that is, I don't always do as I recommend he he !!

I know I will try anything, so I hope that this might help in some small way.

Take care.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 08-13-2005 at 10:59 AM.

Old 08-10-2005, 04:48 PM   #7
(female)

Hey Golden thanks,
I can do some of it. The ear to the shoulder thing, not a chance, I can just barely tilt my head from side to side. The other things, though it hurts, I can do. I don't know if you recall this but I was on the lupus board back in April or May because I was diagnosed with Fibro and CMP under what I believe was "something for the doctor to say because he didn't know what it was." I still have the "rash" on my cheeks and nose, but I haven't gone to a dermie yet. Take care

KSP

Old 08-11-2005, 02:52 PM   #8
(female)

Pyramid56 HB User

Hi everyone! I too will join the group that has constant back pain. Pretty much how my adventure began.

I guess my question is, does anyone get a really sensitive spot on their back where one can't touch it or sit back on it? Every now and then a part on my lower back gets so sensitive that I can't even sit back in a chair. Sometimes it will be right on the spine like almost inbetween vertebraes or it will be on either side. Of course this is one of the many things that I haven't gotten an answer for. I moved recently and I have my first doc's appt on Monday with my new doc, maybe this one will have answers for me

Take care and stay cool!

Old 08-11-2005, 04:44 PM   #9
(female)

Pyramid56, My back is like that all the time, except I have a very high pain tolerance. My pain starts in the vertebrae about 3 inches below my bra line and radiates a burning pain all around the outside of that. If I'm sitting on the couch, or on the computer, I ALWAYS use pillows behind my back. It softens the blow so to speak. I am a side sleeper so I can't help you with the bed time thing. I think what it is, is a trigger point or points.

KSP

Old 08-11-2005, 05:01 PM   #10
(female)

hummingbirdhope HB User

I also have the very sensitive spot in my back you can not touch, that is really how my dx got started after a thousand other test, i told my dr about these. As far as the burning I have had these in my neck area for years, I just thought my clothes wre itrritating my skin, I still get burning sensations in my back but they do not stay long, I think the neurotin is helping that.

Old 08-12-2005, 09:34 AM   #11
(female)

aaronon HB User

hey all,

I have this same pain all the time. I swear sometimes I am not going to make it. It is the most excruciating pain that I have. It's always between my shoulder blades, the worst of it. And, it's at the base of my skull where your neck connects. It just goes on and on and on.

a

Old 08-15-2005, 05:33 PM   #12
(female)

judith4d HB User

Hi KSP. You put the right words on it. I as trying to put pain on back of rib cage into words. You're closer than I could with my steel wool rubbing on it. doesn't take much to cause pain. clothes rubbbing. sittiing wrong. I'm up a lot like we're supposed to do. This whole thing so "inhales excessively". translate thats folks. I'm getting some good questions to put to the fibro doctor when I ever get to see him. So much for PCP who originally thought I was a hypochrondiac. Hey, she'd only seen me twice. I fired the other one in a real snit. He had it coming. I'd still be sitting with an ice pack on my ribs. We need to stand up and recognized that an MD is not a god. Despite what my brother-in-law may think of himself. Judy

Old 08-17-2005, 12:50 PM   #13
(female)

nean612 HB User

Burning between shoulder blades, to the point i will only wear a bra when I have to. It is worse if i do dishes (like you, i am THE dishwasher), also folding clothes....and sometimes i feel like i have trouble supporting my upper body. If i lift anything away from my body i really pay for it. I mowed yesterday..and today my back and neck are paying the price.
Ice does help.....i have a freezer that is cool that i lean up against when i am at work..
Good luck
nean

Closed Thread