It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2005, 04:54 AM   #1
(male)

brend HB Userbrend HB User
Hypnotism

I am wongering if any of you have any direct or indirect experience of using hypnotism as a way of reducing the symptoms of fibro.
I saw a TV programme from England where a lady had CFS which in her words had caused her immune system to crash and thereby attack her entire body. She was unable to walk without assistance or very slowely with two walking sticks. The hypnotist explained his theory as follows. (I hope I get this right as I have had bad fibro fog for a few days now). An illness like this creates a cycle where a person gets one symptom and the brain has been gets the negative messages and then reacts by sending negative messages to the parts of the body that are weak. This results in a sufferer never being able to get off this cylce as they always have some symptoms which trigger the neagtivity. Through hypnosis the brain is instructed to interprit the negative message as a possitive message and this results in the brain then sending positive messages throughout the body. This has the effect of breaking the seemingly neverending cycle.
The person who was the CFS sufferer had one afternoon session and had an immediate response. She was still in a lot of pain and tired but she then started working with a physio and found that she was capable of doing the exercises without terrible side effects and within weeks she was walking unaided, slowely but unaided. She said the feeling of good and life is worth living are the best things to come out of the experience.
I hope I have explained this clearly. I have re read it a few times and made changes and corrected some awful spelling. Fibrofog today is so bad I am having difficulty concentrating on this keyboard.
Have you or any of your friends or family tried this and what were the results. Like most of you I would try anything if Ithough it would help.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Brend

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2005, 05:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Re: Hypnotism

brend, very interesting but have not heard anything about it. Keep us posted if you hear more. Thanks that was so interesting.

Old 08-15-2005, 07:25 AM   #3
(male)

I was really hoping that someone out there has had experience of hypnotism as a possible aid to fibro recovery. I will have to do a bit of research to see what i can come up with. If I have any success I will let you know.
Brend

Old 08-15-2005, 07:33 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi brend,
hey punkie, how are you?!
i do self hypnosis. it does work. seems tho, that i am the only one who can hypnotise me. i meditate on reversing the message, reinterpreting it and incorporating that new response within. right now i am working on my immune system and making my breasts smaller. it is working. my rheumatoid count is in safe range and yes, they are shrinking.
do i think it is worth a try? sure, why not? if you have the pennies to spare and your mind is open. all you are out is your time and those pennies. no drugs, no side effects.
the mind is a powerful tool. we often forget that. just as we learned to walk and talk we can retrain our brain till the day we die.
let me know what you decide.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 08-17-2005, 03:39 AM   #5
(male)

Thanks Bluelakelady for your reply.
I have more info. Brought forward to yesterday an appt I had with a Homeopotist. (more of that another time). I brought up the subject of hypnosis. He is open to it and has undertaken to do the research for me. He warned me about the cowboys and sharks who practice hypnotism and said he will get someone reliable for me, if I still want to explore this option. He then asked for my permission to bring in his nurse who practices yoga. Bluelakelady, this sounds like the same type of suggestion of self hypnosis under a different name. Let me explain briefly.
I have been using yoga breathing exercises for a long time now to help me to relax. This is now taking this to a different level. It requires me to deep breathe until I am in a realaxed state and then to picture the whitest, brightest light coming through my head and into my body. Bringing with it power and the strenght to take out pain and illness and replace it with a healthy feeling and a general feeling of wellbeing. This takes a lot of practice and at the early stage it is bringing wellness generally to my body. When I am more practiced at it I should be able to bring this white light in and channel it to a particular body part that needs healing. I will know it is working when I feel a warmness inside me. The nurse told me I will know what this means when it happens. I have started on this today, but I found it very difficult to relax enough to allow the breathing to take me to a trance like state. I know I have to keep practicing.
There is a lot more to it than I have mentioned, but I wanted to give a flavour of it and I will report at a later date on my progress or ?.

Brend

Old 08-17-2005, 07:51 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi brend,
our body/mind will resist at first. it wants it's old habits and can be fearful of new ones. ergo the brain responds by fracturing out of the peace in spikes. in and out we go. in time that lovely white light will warm you. i know the feeling of the heat the nurse spoke of to you. the first time i felt it i jumped back from it. it felt so amazing it blew my mind. then a hunger grew within to feel that heat and the door opened.
i am delighted you saw a homeo. i used to help a very old woman (in her 90's now and kicking bootie) who was one. her help with diet/mind set really was a turning point for me. that was 9+ years ago.
what we eat and what we think are the building blocks of our day.
i have never practiced yoga, per se. however i had a friend come over with tapes to watch on yoga. looks like i was practicing without knowing it was yoga. i figure it was body knowledge teaching me what i had never realized i knew already. my friend calls it being a natural.
in listening to my body i have been led to the ways of healing mind and spirit. the body is an amazing tool. and the mind a vast inner space.
i am glad your helper will find you a safe hypnotherapist. there are sharks and creeps out there.
keep me posted. i shall be most curious and would like to travel this journey with you.
may i?
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 08-17-2005, 02:07 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

This sounds so fascinating! I am one of those people who can't really relax all my muscles it takes great effort on my part. Even when getting a massage I tense up. So I will be keeping an eye on this thread what a wonderful sounding thing to be able to do, I know there is a point in the future where I will be trying alternative things to help and when I finally reach that point I want to have this info in my back pocket!

Closed Thread