It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2005, 06:30 AM   #1
(female)

JenniferEvelynn HB User
Plastic surgery and FM

Good morning all my fibro friends,
I am looking into having a tummy tuck. I've had five children - the last two being twins. My tummy is not a pretty sight! I was wondering if anyone here has had any kind of plastic surgery (or regular surgery). How was the recovery? I would imagine that FM would flare with surgery. I've had two c-sections so the surgical sight wouldn't be too bad, its the rest of my body I'd worry about.
I hope you all have a great and pain-free day!
God bless, Jen

Last edited by JenniferEvelynn; 08-10-2005 at 06:31 AM.

Old 08-10-2005, 11:02 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

pixiepoodle HB User
Re: Plastic surgery and FM

I had major lipo (from chest down to knees, front & back) and I was concerned too. However, with that much lipo, the pain I had was all from the lipo and was unbelievable. As for actual Fibro pain, I had none because I think the pain from the instrument used to vaccum out the fat was far greater than any Fibro pain. It like when you're in intense labor pain and someone slaps you on your back, it wouldn't even register because the labor pain is taking up all your focus. I think my post surgical pain was probably more intense than the avg. person because of my Fibro though.

I had a 2nd surgery to have have a pain pump implanted for my Fibro pain and it was not very painful. I had the surgery on a Fri. and was back at work on Mon. The only pain med they gave me was Vicodin.

I had a 3rd surgery for breast reduction and the only pain was at the surgical incisions. I got my doc to give me Percodan for post op pain and it worked wonderfully and I was very comfortable from the post op pain and I had no Fibro pain.

I guess it all depends on how bad you want the surgery - if you're willing to put up with any pain. For me personally, I would NEVER, do lipo again, not even if you paid me a million dollars, but I am not afraid to have other types of surgery. When the battery in my pumps dies, I will have to have a new pump implanted and I am not worried at all since I've been thru it once before.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2005, 04:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Pixie is this the pump they implant in your abdomen under the skin? They wanted to do that to my hubby a few years ago for his back, the pump would go under the skin in his abdomen and a tube would run under the skin around his side to his spine and shoot morphine directly into his spine. He said no thanks he could take early retirement and manage without the pump, but it was a very interesting concept for those who have to have that kind of pain management. Luckly my husband had options, but there are a lot of people who don't and I can see where the pump could be a blessing.

Old 08-12-2005, 10:50 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

pixiepoodle HB User

Yep, that's the kind of pump I got. I could no longer deal with the pain and work. Strong meds like oral morphine just put me to sleep. I was tired of being in a drug induced stupor all the time and I was destroying my kidneys since they break down oral meds. I've had it 3 years and I love it.

Old 08-12-2005, 01:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

3yrs, good for you. If I had to work I would definitly need the pump or very strong pain meds. I don't think I could do the pain meds either, probably make me 'goofier' than I am. The pain meds and patches all made my husband violently ill, almost had to take him to ER one evening when trying a new one. The doc tried them all, but they were a no go for my hubby. Thats when the doc suggested the pump and gave us all the literature and videos about it. Jerry Lewis has one, I'm sure you know that though.

My husband had 34yrs in at his company and they were trying to eliminate the "I make a living wage and get benefits full time older employees" so they were more than happy to give him his full disability pension at 57yrs old. He of course had earned it and it saved them lots of years of his salary and benefits. We were very fortunate, but no doubt about it if he had to still be working the pump would be a life saver!!!

Closed Thread