It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2005, 12:24 PM   #1
(male)

taggit HB User
Could I have Fibro?

I had originally posted this on the stress board ([url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=313061)[/url].

I had an interesting conversation with my Dad. He was diagnosed with Fibro about 3 years ago but probably had it for many years before that. He had bypass surgery 11 years ago which seemed to trigger most of his symptoms. However, when I started to describe my symptoms to him he was concerned that my symptoms "could" by Fibro related. I do have 10 of the tender spots. When my wife pressed on them with little pressure at all, it felt like a cattle prod was being poked into me (best way I can describe it). My GP doesn't seem to know what I have.

In addition to the symptoms below, I have some more that I didn't either realize I had or just didn't think about it.

They are:
Unproductive cough at times.
Muscles twitches or tics
Muscles aches - legs feel weak, uncoordinated at times. Hamstring tightens up. Calves causing "charlie horses" sometimes waking me up at nights.
And the really odd one: While sitting down for a while my left leg (mostly) will just be jumping up and down. I don't notice it until someone points it out or I notice them staring at it. My wife just assumed I was nervous.

Anyways, below is my original post in the stress forum. Please pass along any comments that you may have. Thanks.

Original post:

Hello,

First post and all. Please bear with me.

My current symptoms are as follows:

Enlarged Lymph Nodes (for the last few months) no pain.
Dizzy at times
No appetite, but will eat
Strange feeling around mealtime sometimes (hypoglycemia? Fasting blood tests show 98 which is normal)
Headaches that can last for days. They are all over but appear largely at the base of the neck/skull region and forehead/temples area
Chest tightness
Strange feeling around chest bone (at times it feels like something is crawling under my skin)
Some nausea but never throw up
Post nasal drip (Much less after taking chinese herbs)
No energy, weak
Difficulty sleeping (wake up every few hours)
Dark Circles under eyes
Forgetfulness, Memory loss
Sleepiness
Depression (not severe)
Sinus pressure
Muscles aches
Irritable
Jittery at times
Racing heart. I can be just sitting still and for no reason my heart will just take off.
Somewhat high BP 130/90. When visiting doctors office it is much higher sometimes something like 150/100.

My symptoms started about 4 months ago although they might have been going on longer and they are now just more than my body can handle. I have seen my GP several times along with another doctor who both thought I had allergies (went in complaining about chest tightness and post nasal drip). I was put on nasarel for my stuffed up nose and Qvar (inhaler) to open up my chest and given albuterol as a "rescue" inhaler. I had blood taken and everything was right where it should be. I went to an allergist who did the skin ***** test along with blood tests and a sinus CT scan. I was told I don't have any allergies nor do I have any sinus polyps or anything else wrong there. I have had two static EKG's and one treadmill EKG with no issues. I have gone to the ER because I felt like I was about to black out and my heart was racing where more tests were done (angina, pulmonary edema, chest x-rays) and I was told everything was ok. In the ER my heart rate was at ~100 bpm for 3 hours lying flat on my back. It is usually around 65. The ER doctor told me I was probably having an anxiety attack and I was given Oxezepan and pepcid because I "might" have GERD causing problems. I have not taken these medications because I feel that I want to be treated for something I have rather than throwing pills at something I might have. I called the allergist back the next day as I was supposed to meet with him and he concurred that I was probably having panic/anxiety attacks. I was also diagnosed as having chronic non allergic rhinitis. I am just getting over a nasty sinus infection and was given zithromax for that. I don't think I completely knocked out the infection as I am still coughing up yellow stuff and blowing it out my nose (for both it isn't a lot coming out). I have gone to an acupuncturist and had a very good treatment. I had more energy and in general just felt really good afterwords.

I am a 37 year old male with a stressful job (60 hour work weeks are common, threat of losing job is constantly there), a 1 1/2 year old son and a 3 1/2 year old daughter. As much as I love my kids, small children just push my buttons. I tend to be on the side of perfectionist and compulsive (I am an engineer and don't like it when things "don't work right"). I am one of those people who get whatever bug is going around. In general I eat well and I am in shape although exercise has been difficult as of late because of the headaches and lack of energy. My acupuncturist advised that I only do things like yoga and completely cut out lifting weights and limit stationary cycling. I am taking this week off to just "chill out". I have never taken time off of work like this before.

My concern is this just stress related issues or do I have something bigger like MS, adrenal burnout, lymphoma, etc.? The doctors just seem to not really know what is going on and it is becoming frustrating.

Any thoughts or ideas especially if someone has gone down this path would be appreciated. Thanks.

End Original Post

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2005, 04:11 PM   #2
(female)

ksp HB Userksp HB Userksp HB User
Re: Could I have Fibro?

Taggit,
Welcome to the boards, I'm sure you will get many opinoins on this board and there are alot of friendly, helpful people here. First of all I'd like to start out by saying your alot like me. I do feel alot of your problems do have to do with stress and anxiety however, not feeling well can cause stress and anxiety. Working 60 hours a week and caring for 2 young children would make anyone tired. Has a doctor ever checked your pressure points? If he's the person who said you have 10 out of the 18 then chances are you have Fibro. I also have tremors all the time mainly in my hands, and my legs jump up and down too, that drives my husband crazy!!! I'm just used to it so I don't notice. The feeling of things crawling under your skin could be what someone has dubbed on this board as "Fibro Creepies" I have them all over and I itch like mad. I too am a perfectionist and a compulsive person, the big thing to remember about this is that not everyone can be just like us, and we can't let it bother us when they aren't. I hope some of this helped and I hope others are able to give you insight! Have a great night.......

KSP
P.S. Something else I forgot to ask, has the doctor checked your Potassium levels? Low potassium can cause dizziness, tiredness, mucle cramps, (or charlies) chest pain, rapid heart rate, ect.

Last edited by ksp; 08-11-2005 at 04:15 PM.

Old 08-11-2005, 04:53 PM   #3
(male)

Israel2 HB User

Hello all. I am new here. I am just learning about Fibro. I have what I have called pressure points for as long as I can remember. I am a 57 yo male. I live alone. As Taggit indicated, he has ten tender spots or perhaps many more. I imagine there really isn't a set number one need have.

I have dozens of them. Some on my back will pain so badly they will bring tears to my eyes, or wake me at night. I carry a small hard ball with me so I can lean up against a wall and try to message the tender point which still is really difficult to stop most of the pain. Or, when I am at home, I will get down on the floor and use the ball on my back and especially all along my entire spine. These pressure points are pretty much all over my entire body.

Some symptoms include headaches, depression, sleepiness, difficulty sleeping, chest tightness, sadness and numerous other problems.

I thought these symptoms belonged in their own categories on other threads. What's up? I am really confused. I will be seeing a new doctor the end of the month for a complete physical, tests etc. The whole bit.

Does anybody have any comments or suggestions, and especially when I see my doctor. Perhaps some things I should be asking and am not informed enough to know what to ask. Any help would be much appreciated. I have nobody to talk with except the fine people I have seen postiing to various threads. I will be of much gratitude to learn more. Israel2

Old 08-11-2005, 05:05 PM   #4
(male)

taggit HB User

Thanks for the reply KSP.

I just looked at my blood work they did a few months back and don't see any potassium (or the element equiv "K") levels on there. I am going to see my GP tomorrow so I will follow up with that. Great timing!

My wife actually did the tender point test (she was a registered massage therapist until just before we got married), but I will have my doctor check tomorrow.

As far as stress goes, I am in new territory here. I don't normally get to this level of not feeling good, so it could be anything. If it does turn out to be stress related, I had no idea that stress could do so much to a person.

As far as the fibro creepies go, my chest has become very itchy the last few days. The sequence goes tightness in chest then creepy crawlies, then itchy feeling (no rash). Am I out of line in asking for an MRI to see if I have MS here as a friend of the family has MS and she complained of itchiness too? I am by no means a hypochrondriac, but I get the feelings if I am not driving things, I won't get tested for all of the possibilities.

My concern on my visit tomorrow is my GP is actually a Physician's assitant. There is nothing wrong with that and I am not knocking him as he has been an advocate for me in getting my tests lined up. However, with the bizarre symptoms I have been having, are most medical professionals really up on this? For example back when I was in college I had what turned out to be giardia. I bounced from doctor to doctor some thinking I had ulcers, others thinking I had an appendix going bad and I almost had it removed. Finally one of the doctors listened to me that I am an avid backpacker and treated me for giardia. I lived in misery for 1 1/2 years because they didn't know. Are people finding this situation out with Fibro? My dad had to see a few doctors before he was finally diagnosed.

I will post what comes about with my appointment tomorrow.

Old 08-15-2005, 07:06 PM   #5
(female)

Good evening to both of you, sorry I was away for a few days but I only use the computer a few days a week.

Isreal2, Sorry to hear your in such pain. I posted a thread a few days ago about back pain, and it seems that alot of people on this board suffer with the same thing. I would say it's not out of the question for you to have either Fibromyalgia or Chronic Myofacial Pain Syndrome reading your symptoms. If you read the sticky posts at the beginning of the board you will see how fibromyalgia affects the brain. Depression occurs in alot of fibro patients. Make sure you talk with your doctor about this, there are many medications you can take for depression and maybe you won't have to take them long term. I encourage other members of this board to give you advice and strengh before you go see your physician so that you get answers to your questions when you go. Be sure to keep us posted.

taggit, how lucky for you to have a wife that is a massage therapist! You better keep her and treat her well Stress is a horrible thing, stress itself can make you sick. About getting an MRI, you may request that your doctor do one but unless you are having headaches, or some other specifically related symptoms, they may not go with it. Itchiness and Fibro creepies as Bluelakelady has said,are the neurotransmitters in your brain telling you there is something crawling on you, or your arm itches. You want to see a doctor that already works with Fibromyalgia patients for them to really listen, and try to understand what you are going through. I hope you are able to get answers with your visit.

Have a great night, KSP

Old 08-15-2005, 07:30 PM   #6
(male)

taggit HB User

Hello everyone,

After my visit with my GP I have been diagnosed with depression with extra helpings of stress and anxiety. My doctor wants to put me on Citalopram (20mg). Before I start taking this, I have an appointment with my acupuncturist this Friday. I am going to go over with him what my diagnosis is and if possible using the "Eastern Medicine" approach before I begin the anti-depressant. The acupuncturist told me that he suspected it was depression and/or stress the last time we visited.

Over the weekend I read a really great book called "Hope and Help for your Nerves" by Dr. Claire Weekes. I highly recommend anyone read this book especially those with panic/anxiety attacks or having depression. Very straightforward. I was able to go to work today and have a somewhat normal day (yesterday too) after applying the simple principles presented in the book. What it boils down to for me is I need some life changes to occur and I am in the process of setting those up and making them happen.

Old 08-15-2005, 07:37 PM   #7
(female)

Hey Taggit, thanks for the tip on the book. Glad to hear that it's inspiring you! If you continue to feel bad after your acupuncture or pills (which ever you choose) I suggest you see another doctor. If you feel you may have Fibromyalgia, it would be in your best intrest to find one that has worked with Fibro patients. Good luck and keep us posted... Ksp

Closed Thread