It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2005, 09:53 AM   #1
(female)

fibrogirl HB User
awful doc

Hi, just found this great sight!! I have been diagnosed with fibro about 2 years ago. I was wondering if anyone has had a run in with a doc that does not understand or thinks "it's all in your head"? Reason being, I saw another doc (my doc was not available that day) in my regular doc's office and he was just awful. He started telling me about his pain, what he does, how he lives with it, etc, etc (like I care about your pain...I just came to get my scripts filled and to have my usual follow-ups). When he asked me what meds I take, I told him. Then (here's the best part) he said, "We're just going to have to start calling you Rush!". I asked him what that meant and he said, "Rush Limbaugh". I was astounded!!!! He, also, told me if I would just relax and take a couple of deep breaths the pain would go away. I don't take close to what Rush Limbaugh took, I only see this one doc for my fibro (so I am not doctor shopping), I don't have the kind of money Rush does to blow on pain meds (apparently he was on oxycontin), I only take a mild narcotic as needed in the evenings and my muscle relaxents in the evenings. I work during the day and cannot take these at work to say the least. So, any insight or similar experiences?? By the way, went to my regular doc the next day and told him what happened (he was not too pleased!!) and he wrote me my regular prescriptions (the other doc refused to).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2005, 10:36 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User
Re: awful doc

Welcome fibrogirl,

You found a good place to get support and understanding. This is an awesome board.

I know that you will find many horror tales on this board about docs who do and say outrageous stuff.

For this doc to say the things he did is not only ignorant but IMO mean. He has no business treating you the way he did and sounds extremely ignorant in his bed side manner. These kind of docs are out there and you have to try and remember that they do not get it when it comes to fibro and a lot of pain problems. You will hear from many that it is in your head. So many of them are afraid of pain issues and shy away from them. However, this doc was over the top with his stupidity and lack of compassion (I get hot under the collar with docs that mistreat patients).

Don't take it personally, I know it is hard not to. I understand how you would get defensive. This Rush Limbaugh statement was definitely out there and if it wasn't so hurtfull I would laugh. You do not have to explain to any one like that what you are taking and why. You have a doctor that is treating you and he is failing to even be non-critical of him. It is a good thing you have a real doctor that understands. This doctor really is the only one that matters.

I think many of us have tales that are hard to believe. Just recently my regular doctor who I have not been going to for long treated me as if I was a child. I walked out of there furious. I will be changing docs. If I voice what he said right now it would only get me mad

Peace and love, Hangin

Old 08-12-2005, 02:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Hi and welcome fibrogirl.

Rush Limbaugh!!!! Excuse me!!! What a jerk!!! Yes, we all have had experiences with docs like that. He doesn't matter, the doc that is treating you is obviously head and shoulders above this guy. If he didn't want to prescribe the meds for you because of whatever reason he should have just said he was unable to do that and not given you so much ''CRAP".

Hangin said it in a nice way, she always has a great way with words. If I were you and I had a co-pay or whatever I would refuse to pay that doc. Why pay for someone to do nothing but cause you more stress.

Glojer

Old 08-16-2005, 10:46 AM   #4
(female)

fibrogirl HB User

Thank you for all your support. Now that it has been a week, I can laugh about it (beats crying!!). To look at the positive side, I guess it would be nice to have the money that Rush does and not go through daily pain. Won't be seeing that other doc ever again. Hangin, good luck with a new doc. I hope and wish you the best.

Old 08-16-2005, 06:41 PM   #5
(female)

jonquill HB User

Next time don't take any crap off of them. I've been to 13 doctors this year, and all but one were incompetent - no joke. So what I've learned is to not let them speak over me, and to get everything out in the open. And they also have ALL attributed my physical ailments to anxiety (unless shown physical proof to the contrary). Put them in their place if they're wrong.

Last edited by jonquill; 08-16-2005 at 06:43 PM.

Old 08-17-2005, 11:38 AM   #6
(female)

nean612 HB User

Hello
I want you to know that you are not alone. I have also had 2 very similar experiences. The first one was several years ago, and it was an associate who was taking over for my Dr who had retired. She did not want to refill any of the meds that i was on xanax and ultracet......instead she wanted to give me a cortisone injection. At this point in time, i was still going thru ultrasounds, blood tests etc. I cannot imagine wanting to give an injection of steriods when you do not know what the problem is.

I got lucky and found another Dr that would continue what i call my "maintence"...........as time has gone on my dr also rx'd vicodin for "bad days"....which seem to come more frequently....sometime along the way i had shortness of breath with the ultracet. So i will not take that for pain.

I picked up a box and ended up with numbness in toes, leg feeling like it was asleep....so he wanted me to get an mri. I saw his NP for the results, and she said that i did not need the pain meds, just pt. I was having trouble laying down on the exam table, and she asked why i was moving so slowly. She made me feel like it was all in my head, and i was just there for drugs.
The mri showed a bulge disk. I was so mad......

I am sorry that you were put thru that and i want to tell you that you are not alone......The "Rush" comment was over edge!!! I he must be a REAL Professional. Someday, somehow that Dr will know how it feels to be in pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck....stay positive!!!

nean

Old 08-17-2005, 01:01 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

There have been to many times that I have wanted to tell a doctor that I wish he could crawl under my skin and live in it for a day. He/she would definitely be singing a different story when it came to pain management.

I have had Fibro for ten years and must have gone through 15 doctors at least until I found someone to help me 4 years ago. Now I am on the look again since this doctor no longer will take my insurance which is something he promised me he would not do.

I hate the feeling of being without a doctor. At the moment I have pulled my back and do not have a doc to go to. The hospital is definitely out, to much to deal with. So, I am doing what I can, heat and ice, stretching, etc. to get better myself. The whole time though I know that if I had something for the terrible muscle spasms in my back I would feel so much better.

It is very tiring mentally and physically to keep going to these docs until we find one that understands. However we have no choice. When you find that doc hold on to them, they are a rare find.

Hope everyone is taking care.

Peace and love, Hangin

Closed Thread