It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2005, 09:49 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

septemberwoman HB User
Flaring, deppressed, sleep test, surgery

I am having a pretty rough week. I had surgery on my shoulder for 4 different things June 29th. Been going to PT since and last week and due I believe to surgery stress and sleep test stress I have having a full blown flare.

Surgery went good--no complications. Took some good drugs for pain and they helped with fibro--the evil oxycontin. Surgeon said my fibro would flare and he was right.

Then had to have a sleep test done to see about my insomnia and possible sleep apnea. Guess that is one of the problems. Also RLS/PLM as well as just plain bad sleep once I get asleep. This is really stressing me out as my husband does the CPap thing and he doesn't think I can handle it and such. I don't know about that. It would improve my sleep maybe and we fibroites need all the sleep help we can get.

Got to talk to my GP about sleep test and my thyriod which they found a cyst or something on that MRI that needs to be tested. I hate the idea of getting the thyroid biopsy done. It runs in the family and that test is pretty rough according to my mother. Also am seeing him about losing several pounds to help with the apnea---------------blalllllllllh. But maybe a messed up thyroid contributes to the fibro--is that right???

Next week I have to recheck with the shoulder surgeon, go to Gp for sleep and thyroid decisions. Make PT for shoulder and back 3 days. Got to set up a CPAP machine to use at some office. My 2nd brain MRI is on Thursday to determine whether it is a tumor or just "artifacts".

The next week I finally get a lumbar epidural to ease the pain in my back. My poor fibro doc is working so hard to help me. The epidural is on the 26th, then I see the rheumy for the summary of my lupus blood test....which will be all neg.

I have been missing my shrink. But I have him down for next wednesday--maybe he can help walk me through all this medical stuff and remind me it is all worth it.

I sound like a general mess don't I? I am finally feeling the stress of a very long couple of months. My fibro had been in recession for a few weeks and I thought maybe it would be gone for a few month. I don't want to put others here in a bad mood, it just helps to share my turmoil sometimes.

Thanks for any prayers!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2005, 03:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User
Re: Flaring, deppressed, sleep test, surgery

Hello Septemberwoman
I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I have many medical condition's and some of them contribute to my Fibro. I also had surgery on both of my shoulder's back in February as I had Bilateral Frozen Shoulder. I do have other injury's as well to my shoulders but surgeon said that I don't need to have my SLAP tears fixed as I don't play any sports. Gosh I sure would love too...

I am also having surgery on Wednesday for my bladder and have another scheduled next month for my neck. But their is a possibility that my bladder surgery could get canceled as I found out last week that my iron counts are extremely low once again and my white cells are elevated. So I have been popping the iron pills, and praying that my iron count will raise in time. Then to top it off, I just found a lump under my right arm pit and this has me a bit concerned. I will tell my doctor on Monday when I go in for medical clearance. If it isn't one thing it's another....

I also have sleep apnea as you can see in my signature. I have been using a CPAP for several months. At first it is hard to find the right mask to make you comfortable. I had started with the nasal mask and then had a problem with it as I open my mouth at night. Then went to the facial mask and I couldn't get the darn thing to stop making a whistling noise. So now I am back to the nasal mask and have to get a chin strap to keep my mouth closed. I do wish you luck with finding the right mask for you. And getting the right amount of sleep with help the Fibro a bit.

My doctor also explained to me that with surgery it could cause the Fibro to flare up even more. Well, I don't think that is possible for me as I feel I am in a constant flare. So I do understand your pain and I will pray for you.

As for the depression, I too experience this from time to time. I am taking Effexor XR and it did seem to help for a while. Both with depression and sleep. But lately it hasn't been working as well, so I will ask my Rheumatologist to increase it at my next visit. Do you take anything for depression? Sometimes these meds can help both depression and Fibro.

It seems the only time I leave my house is for doctor's appointments for the last year. But I still keep my chin up as I still got plenty to be greatly for as I have a wonderful family. Oh, and I am going to be a grandmother, so that gives me something to look forward to.

As I read your post, I so much related to it. Your post did not put me in a bad mood at all. Their are many times that we need to vent and I am grateful for these Health Board. It is just like joining a support group but at the comfort of your own home. I will pray that things get better for us both.
Jeanne

Instrumentation = 2 Rods, 6 Screws, 2 Disc Spacers
FBSS-Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
~CERVICAL~
Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
Degenerative Disc Disease
Disc Osteophyte Complex
Compression Deformity & Spinal Lithiasis
C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated & Bulging Disc's
C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.

Bilateral Chronic L4 versus L5 Radiculopathy
Bilateral Frozen Shoulder - MUA 2/7/05
Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Bursitis, Tendonitis,
Tendonosis, Type ll Diabetes, Anemia, Asthma,
Acid Reflux, IBS, Migraine's, Sleep Apnea,
PolyNeuropathy

Old 08-13-2005, 11:23 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

septemberwoman HB User

Jeanne,
Thanks for the reply. It has always helped me to vent on these boards then have someone as nice as you to come along side and say "I understand". That is such a help when you feel so alone and in pain.

This morning I have been in agony physically, but mentally feeling much better. (2 excedrin, one percocet, one lortab, one lexapro is starting to help)

I think the thing that gets me so desparately down is the feeling of "what now?" with my life. So much has and has not happened in my 49 years that it is overwhelming to consider the future and what plans I need to make to be secure financially. I will inherit plenty, but I HOPE that is a LONG time off--long time. I need to cover the years between now and , hopefully, my 70s.

With so many aches and pains, married 29 yrs, 2 grown children and ONLY 18 months out of that last 29 yrs in the work force, I am trying to figure out a job pathway. I have about 2 years of college. Seems like so many things require stamina I do not have and that is something I think about a lot. My husband makes enough to take care of things, but God forbid, something happens to him then I am left floundering.

It is so hard to even get the energy to think about school...or anything else.

I have one grandbaby--Ava, who is 17 months. It is amazing!!! My son and his wife now live about 200 miles away where he teaches school and that is hard because I wish I could see her every day!! My daughter, a nurse, lives close though and that is nice!

Well, this is getting off topic and so I will once again say thanks for your encourgment.
Karen

Old 08-15-2005, 08:22 PM   #4
(female)

Lynne720 HB User

Jeanne and Karen,

My fiance was diagnosed with the dreaded fibo and had spinal fusion (C5 & C6) three months ago. He is in more pain now than before the surgery. We didn't find out for sure that he had fibo until last week and we had no idea that surgery would cause a flareup. Unfortunately, his days have been painful even before surgery but its been so much worse since.

We just got back from the Mayo Clinic in AZ and there wasn't much they could do. They see countless amounts of people with fibo. Now I need to find him a good doctor in my area (NYC).

I wish you both and everyone else here the best of health. I really feel for you guys.

Lynne

Old 08-15-2005, 09:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Karen
It seems that the only thing that does make me feel somewhat better is my medication's. I am on MS Contin and it is a pretty strong med. But unfortunately the longer you take the med, the less it stops working for me.

I am also in the 40's as I will be 41 the end of this month. I have been in the work force as I was a CNA (certified nurses aid) and then had to leave that line of work because of my back pain. I myself haven't worked in about 6 years and it doesn't look like I will ever return to work. My husband of 23 years does struggle to support our family of four. My children are 17 & 21 years of age. Unfortunately we don't have anything put away for retirement at this time. So this is a very stressful issue for me as well.

My daughter will live here in NY for about of year and then she will be moving to CT. I will have a hard time handling it when she does move. I have to stay strong as then I will have to take a ferry to go and see her and her family.

I did see my primary doctor today and he actually gave me a medical clearance for my surgery on Wednesday. Also the lump under my arm is just a cyst thank God. I guess the iron pills and vitamin c have been working.

I hope that you are feeling a little bit better today. I also give you a lot of credit for even thinking about going back to work or school. But please think of your health first and I will continue to keep you in my prayer's.
Jeanne

Old 08-15-2005, 10:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Lynne
I am sorry that your fiance also has Fibro. This is something that is very hard to live with as their is no cure. I do hope that he finds a good doctor to help him. I myself am just learning about all the pain that fibro causes. I was diagnosed about a year and a half ago. Their is a strong possibility that I had this much longer and wasn't aware of fibro or its symptoms.

I also live in NY but on Long Island. I do here that their are many wonderful doctors in the city. That must have been a very long trip to Arizona to go to the Mayo Clinic. I have read that they are pretty good doctor's there.

I am having a cervical fusion with discectomy on the same level as your fiance. I have read about the complication's of this surgery. This forum also has a Spinal Disorder's Board. I do read about many member's having cervical fusion on that board. Maybe this is some info there that might help both you and your fiance.

I also had a lumbar fusion that has left me in serious pain. This was a very tuff decision for me to agree to this surgery. But I do have compression on my spinal cord and horrid pain. This type of surgery takes a long time for complete recovery. So since it is only 3 months since your fiance had his fusion, their still is hope that his pain might get better. If he had compression, the nerves do take a great deal of time to heal. Also he may have a lot of inflammation and unfortunately he cannot take anti-inflammatory's for a great deal of time as this could affect the fusion. Please don't give up hope.

I will keep both you and your fiance in my prayers.
Jeanne

Old 08-16-2005, 12:40 PM   #7
(female)

CarolinNC HB User
Talking Re: Flaring, deppressed, sleep test, surgery

Hey guys, just had to reply when I read all of your problems and test. i also have been in severe pain , aching,burning in legs, hips etc. I had thryoid surgery in jan and march due to cancer and the flare has really begun. I went to the doctor today and was also advised I needed the sleep test. Can someone inform me on how they do this and how it can be resolved if i do have it. This fibro pain is terrible. I also have bulging disks but the mri report showed no nerve impegment so my doctor seems to think all the hip, leg and feet pain and burning is due to the fibro. any thoughts on this? He did give me about 7 different shots in the areas that I hurt today. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...May God Bless Us All

Old 08-16-2005, 01:51 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinNC
Hey guys, just had to reply when I read all of your problems and test. i also have been in severe pain , aching,burning in legs, hips etc. I had thryoid surgery in jan and march due to cancer and the flare has really begun. I went to the doctor today and was also advised I needed the sleep test. Can someone inform me on how they do this and how it can be resolved if i do have it. This fibro pain is terrible. I also have bulging disks but the mri report showed no nerve impegment so my doctor seems to think all the hip, leg and feet pain and burning is due to the fibro. any thoughts on this? He did give me about 7 different shots in the areas that I hurt today. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...May God Bless Us All
Hi Carolin,

Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. I too am in a terrible flare and am also dealing with herniated discs in my neck.

I have heard many people mention shots they get in the areas that have the most pain. What kind of shots are they? Not one of my doctors has mentioned that option to me. It would be something I would like to discuss with my PM doc who I am seeing on the 18th.

Thanks for caring and I hope you feel better. My prayers are with you all.

Peace and Love, Hangin

Old 08-16-2005, 03:06 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

septemberwoman HB User

For a sleep test you spend the night at a sleep testing facility where they hook you up to all kinds of wires and such on the head, legs, chest etc. You sleep and you leave the next morning. Over a few days your doctor will get a report from the doctor who monitored your test. It will show whether you have sleep apnea, latency problem, rls, or other sleep problems. If you have a sleep apnea problem, your doctor will prescribe a CPAP, BIPAP or other type of machine. You from then on would sleep with the machine hooked up. You can go to the sleep disorders board here or type in CPAP on a search engine and get all kinds of information.

I was set up today with a CPAP, came home and took a 40 minute nap on the thing. Guess I was tired!! My doctor believes it will help with the Fibro since many studies relate Fibro to a kind of sleep disorder. My test also showed problems with falling asleep, restless legs, movement disorder and latency. Taking a sample of Requip for the rls--?? --don't know whether I will stay with that or not.

Last edited by septemberwoman; 08-16-2005 at 03:09 PM.

Old 08-16-2005, 03:14 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Carolin
I am sorry that you to are in such pain. Gosh it seems as if you to have your hands full with many different health conditions. I pray that your cancer is in remission or that they were able to get all the cancer cells out during surgery.

As for the Sleep Study it can be done two different ways. I had mine done at my local hospital. I was very surprised to have a double bed and television. The first half of the sleep study is to find out if you have any sleep disturbances. They spend almost 45 minutes hooking up all the electrode wires on your legs, chest arm and head. Remember to bring a hat of some sort as you will have these nice white clumps of glue in your hair afterwards. It does rinse out easily in the shower. After they have you all hooked up to their machine, you then lie down and hope to sleep. At my study they needed at least 5 hours of sleep. When you awake in the morning they remove the electrodes and send you on your merry way. The report will be sent to your doctor. If they find that you do indeed suffer with sleep apnea they will then schedule you for a CPAP Study. You will also have to get hooked up to all those electrodes once again. This part of the test requires the technician to find a mask to fit you and one that you are comfortable with. They then put the mask on you and you must breathe into it with your mouth shut and breath through your nose only. While you are sleeping they will raise the pressure of the CPAP to find the correct pressure for you. This goes along with their finding on how many apnea's you may have and how much pressure is the best for you. Once again they will send a report to your doctor. Remember I said that this test could be done two different ways. Some sleep centers do both of these tests in the same night. I wasn't that lucky.....If they do find that you have sleep apneas your doctor will order you a CPAP machine. Usually a nurse does explain how to use and maintain your CPAP. Their is also a board on the Health Boards for sleep disorders. You may find information on that boards as well.

Also if not it may be a good idea to see a Rheumatologist. They do many different blood test's to try and find the exact cause of your pain. Their may be a possibility that you also might have a form of arthritis. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of injection's did you have? The reason why I ask is because if it were cortisone of something like that, 7 shots at once it too many.

I pray that you have less pain.
Jeanne

Old 08-16-2005, 03:20 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

septemberwoman HB User

Hey Jeanne, we must have been replying at the same time on the sleep study!! You explained in a much more detailed way.

The sleep center I went to did the CPAP study at the same time so I already was set to go when the one night was over. That was more convenient. Both my husband and I now have a CPAP. Lovely......what a picture.......

I bet the shots were trigger point injections--lidocaine. I used to get some when I worked but then after a while they stopped working.

Old 08-16-2005, 03:25 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Karen
It looks as if we were both replying to Carolin at approximately the same time. It just takes me longer to type these days. Also looks like we basically gave the same information on some issue's. I see that you had your sleep study done at a sleep center. This is probably why you had the whole test performed in one night.

It will take you a great deal of time to get used to the CPAP. It can take many months to adjust to sleeping with it. I also take the medication Requip. This was prescribed for me for my involuntary leg movements and all over body jerks. It hasn't helped me yet, as I am still waiting. I have been taking it for a couple of weeks now.

I hope that your CPAP does help you and you have less pain.
Jeanne

Old 08-16-2005, 03:54 PM   #13
(female)

CarolinNC HB User
Talking Re: Flaring, deppressed, sleep test, surgery

Thanks for your replies. The shots I got were tigger point injections. The amazing thing is I have bandaids all over my butt.... That is where all the pain was when he pressed on it. I am hoping it helps. He is also sending me to physical therapy for 6 wks. I am like the rest of you, all I do is get ready to go to another doctor appt. I also have problems with acid reflux and have to do the 24hr probe test to see how much my stomach is producing. I dread this without a doubt, that is on the 29th and that is about an hr away from home too. I have just turned 40 and I feel like I should be 80. I cannot believe all the problems that comes from fibro. I am sitting here now, with both my legs and lower back just aching....I just don;t think doctors take us serious enough when we describe how painful we feel. He also told me he wanted me to walk at least an hour on the days I don;t go to therapy. Heck,I am in so much pain now, there is no way I can walk that long. He also thinks I may be diabetic too, so I will find this out in this week or so. Sorry I am venting, but it really gets hard dealing with so many things at once. Hope everyone gets the help they need. By the way, Do any of you get disability for this? I have applied due to the fact that I cannot get over 1 problem and I have 5 more... I would really love to work but at this rate, I don;t see it happening..Would love to hear from you....Carol

Old 08-16-2005, 05:55 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Tomorrow and September, I have a question about the sleep study. What if you don't have apnea or that not breathing thing or snoring or whatever. What if your problem is not being able to fall asleep and not able to stay asleep longer than a few minutes to two hours. How can the CPAP help that?? Do you know, can blowing air in you help you fall asleep and will it put you in a deeper stage of sleep so you don't wake up. I will be having a sleep study tomorrow night and am just curious, I am sure they will answer my questions but I would like to know what impressions you received from your sleep study.

My study will be done in a sleep lab that is run by the hospital, but not on the hospital grounds. I hope they can do everything in one night, cause me and driving at night when I hurt so bad and then driving home with the little sleep I usually get (without my sleep meds) does not thrill me. My husband had one done because of snoring and I remember that gunk in his hair, not looking forward to that! Thanks for any input you may have!!

Glojer

Old 08-16-2005, 06:55 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Carol
I see that Karen was correct in stating that you may have had trigger point injection's. I had completely forgotten about the trigger point's as I had to have mine in the hospital last year. The reason for that was that they were putting different kinds of meds in mine to see if I was having my back pain from the hardware in my back from my lumbar fusion. I so hope that these injection's do give you some pain relief.

I also have acid reflux and have dealt with this for many years. I just had an upper gi series last week. The doctor performing the test told me how severe I had it as he could see all the barium that I was drinking just flow right back up. I haven't had the probe test yet and haven't even heard of that one. Sounds like a very long test to me, good luck...

I pray that you aren't diabetic as this sure can be a real problem with limited mobility. Gosh it's horrible to be diagnosed with this, as I have been having so much trouble with my latest glucose reading's.

I am also 40, at least for two more weeks... I believe that all this pain is even making my hair turn gray, and I also feel so much older. So I do understand where you are coming from. Don't worry about venting here, as this sure is the place to do it, as many of us sure can relate.

My neuro surgeon had told me that I should apply for disability. I still haven't gotten around to doing this. My husband also wants me to, but I feel that I would be giving up hope once I fill out the paper's. I have also heard that it is not easy to get and that many people are denied the first time, and you have to reapply. I do know that I will probably never work again.

Have a good night.
Jeanne

Closed Thread