It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2005, 06:15 AM   #1
(male)

mletters HB User
Anyone know what this could be? ...

Hi,

I came down with a mystery illness two years ago. It started in Sept 03 with dizziness when leaning forward, altered state of conciousness (I would feel my vision tunnel) but I would know when I was back to normal (or feel normal anyway!).

This lasted a few weeks and then came the other symptoms, brain fog, forgetfulness, head and neck pain, headaches, tinnitus, etc.etc.

This lasted a few months until Feb/Mar 04 when I had a good few months with most symptoms disappeared, little dizziness and back enjoying life again.

Lo and behold, comes Sept/Oct 04 and wham! Hits me again, dizziness/disequilibrium, headaches, cant talk to people because of andrenaline hits, panic etc. This lasted over Christmas 04 and into Feb 05

The last few months have been again, fine with little problems with dizziness etc....until Last week. It started as a headache in forehead when bending down and then came the panic attacks, fuzzy heads, dizziness, anxiety etc.

It is the hardest thing to describe, kind of like Im in a bubble. I can't focus on anything straight away, my forehead feels funny. This comes and goes many times throughout the day. The best time for me is the first 20 minutes of waking in the morning, and lying on the couch on my return from work (which is what my life has amounted to since this thing hit!).

I have had loads of Mri's (2 x brain and 1 x cervical spine), thyroid checked, all bloodwork done, tests for adrenalin insufficiency (addisons etc), vestibular function tests (had caloric test with air and no response on one side - the other sent me dizzy - as it should).

I've seen Clinical Immunologists, GP's, Rheumotologists, Neuro Otologists, ENT's, Neurologists etc.etc.

I'm completely fed up. I've had CBT, accupuncture, tried Vitamin therapy, massage (every week), NLP (works on pressure points and self-afirmations)

Anyway, here I am. Two years later I feel as though Ive taken two steps forward and ten million back! Has anyone got any idea what could be causing this. As I write, my eyes seem out of focus and I have this whoozy feeling in my head. I know there is an element of Anxiety/Panic in this thing, but is this panic due to the illness not the other way round.

Thank for any replies in advance.

Here's hoping for better days!

Take care,

Mike.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2005, 07:18 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Anyone know what this could be? ...

hi mike,
has your doctor mentioned fibromyalgia to you? i often get off balance when bending over. in all of this are you remembering to breath properly?
i have been doing the fms gig for over 10 years. the symptoms you speak of come and go. if you have fms you will experience times of illness and times of feeling great. the great times are the windows, to keep us sane, that fms gifts us with.
what if any meds are you taking? some meds increase this dizzy, fuzzy, no brain feeling.
have patience with your body. it is the only one you get.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 08-16-2005, 10:17 AM   #3
(female)

bilij HB User

Hello Mike, what I have to say probably won't apply to you, but
your post brought up one of the most tramatic events in my life.
(I'll try to keep it short.) 37 years ago I was teaching a mission study
book at our church. It was a controversial subject here in the deep south,
but I was determined to teach the book.
I was well prepared and had never been bothered with ''stage fright''. I
had another book on the pew in front of me, I leaned over to pick it up
and when I straightened up, for a second, the room went dark, then the
tunnel vision. I could not recognize the people in the pews. My heart
began to race and my whole body just seemed to crumble. Now this was
before anxiety attacks were well known or treated like today. Several people
carried me home and a lady gave me a little pill which I found out later was
a Valium. That little pill knocked me out for 24 hours. My husband made me an
appointment with an internist in Birmingham who ran many test , all negative.
I had never been sick, but for months I was afraid it would happen again....
I wasn't given any medication for whatever happened to me but to this day I
can remember the panic. It was months before I finally taught that book, but
I was determined to teach it......Anxiety is a frightful emotion and can work
havoc in our lives. Good luck and I hope and pray you find some answers.
Bilij

Old 08-16-2005, 07:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,

I have panic disorder and migraine, and these symptoms I usually associate with those two disorders.
I think they both are common in fibromyalgia.
Have you looked into these two things with your doctors? Might be worth a shot.

Old 08-21-2005, 02:43 AM   #5
(male)

mletters HB User

Hi,

Thankyou for the swift replies.

I am even more confused by all of this now.....Can anyone advise if the following sounds familiar :

Started just over a week ago, as well as dealing with daily dizziness, headache came on, anxiety (daily) got worse, on Friday I just suddenly lost my appetite completely, my body felt tender to touch, my head/neck/back just felt sore. Over the past few days my I kept getting mild abdomen pains off and on. Nothing servere or cripling just noticable and annoying. By friday night, I ended up in E.R. Doctors didn't have a clue (surprise! surprise!) and insisted that I had food poisoning. The next morning (sorry for the detail), my stool was foul. Horrible smell, Light brown and runny. I have taken a sample of this and sent to the Pathology Lab at the hospital (still waiting for results!).

Anyway, I woke up Saturday morning, and the horrible sick feeling, body sensitivity etc. has gone. My stools still aren't normal (but aren't runny anymore). I still keep getting abdominal pains off and on. I had it this morning when I woke up. Trouble is, I dont know if thie pains are due to nerves/anxiety. What could this be?

I am thinking of going to see a Neutritionalist soon. Anyone recommend? Are they the best people to see. So far for this undiagnosed condition (well, I have been diagnosed with Vestibular Labyrinthitus) doctors just HAVENT GOT A CLUE.

Sorry to rant and go into such detail. Just needing help and advise.

I am also scared stiff that I will end up bed-bound or in a wheelchair. Is this possible since I have had this for over 2 years now but it hasn't happened so far? I think the fear of this happening is making me worse!

Take care,

Mike XXX

Old 08-21-2005, 05:24 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

Hi Mike,
I get the floaty head feeling often, on these days I cut the doorways to short and end up with black and blue marks all over. I always say it is a cheap drunk feeling and I do not drink.

I can relate to all your symtons, the achiness, pain, dizzyiness, bowel problems etc. You may be developing Ibs along with the Fm, most of us hve the Ibs. I get the forhead pains and soreness also but always thought that was allergy, which allergies and sinus problems can make you feel lightheaded and dizzy also.

I have really poor posture, especally sitting, I am always leaning front or on my arms and when I straighten up get that quick rush of dizziness also when I bend over.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Closed Thread