It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2005, 08:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User
TENS unit

My physical therapist has suggested a TENS unit for tight and spasming muscles in neck, shoulders, arms, back.
Does anyone have experience with these -- and did they help?
Thanks, and peace to all,

Seaturtle

Old 08-18-2005, 09:00 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: TENS unit

hi seaturtle,
my ex husband used one for back spasms. he swore by it. a funny to tell about that chapter of my life. my son was only about 7 and he used to sneak up on his dad and turn up the tens unit so he could watch daddy jerk and jiggle around. he would fall on the floor giggling. the ex was not too crazy about this, but in the face of his sons laughter he was helpless to stop him.
it is worth a try. anything that is not drugs is worth a try.
sweet dreams,
bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2005, 04:31 AM   #3
(male)

brend HB Userbrend HB User

Hi Seaturtle,
Yes I ahve used a TENS for back pain and I did get great relief from it. From time to time I still use it. I had to discontinue using it as my skin becomes very sensitive and the TENS burnt me. Go for it and see. There are a number of different units available and try for one with a big variety of settings and experiment to find a setting that suits you.
Bluelakelady. I almost believe that I could detect some pleasure in your voice in your telling of your ex's discomfort. (he-he).

Keep well
Brend :

Old 08-19-2005, 07:16 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi brend,
the humor is in remembering how funny my son thought it was. it was funny to see the ex do the herky jerky. he never got really mad about it. how can you be angry with a child who is rolling on the ground giggling with delight?
never took any hard feelings with me when i left. not my style. i carry my good times and on occasion remember funny things. like the tens unit chapter. i can still see it in my minds eye, giggle.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 08-24-2005, 06:40 AM   #5
(female)

fibrogirl HB User

Hi everyone. I have tried the TENS unit and did not feel any effects with my pain. However, my pain stems from my mid back (at heart level), so I figured I would put it there (on my back, not my chest). BAD IDEA!!! If you are going to use it, read ALL cautions and directions first. It states not to put in in the thoracic or carotid areas. Silly me, put it at the thoracic level...no wonder I was feeling heart palpations!!! One of the cautions. So, please, read the pamphlet before hooking yourself up. On the other hand, my husband uses it and swears by it. I won't try it anymore.

Last edited by fibrogirl; 08-24-2005 at 06:40 AM.

Old 08-24-2005, 06:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

yes tried the tens unit for the back spasms, it did help me. still use it from time to time but i never got the vest for it so had to always wait for hubby to come home from work to put the patches on for me. also my skin did get red blotches and sensitive from the adhesive stuff since my skin is also sensitive to adhesive material. but it worked for me, and had different levels so you can adjust it. bluelady, i can imagine your son laughing on the floor. it is a funny sight (according to my hubby who did the same to me once or twice lol) . i literally had to shoo him outta the room when i had it on.

Old 08-29-2005, 09:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

It didn't help me. i took it back.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:11 AM   #8
(female)

Happyslove HB User

I just got one with multi-level settings. I use it with an ice pack and find that it helps. I do have to have help finding just the right place to put the pads though. I also found that I increase to the level that caused pain then decrease from there to be able to set it for comfort.

Old 08-31-2005, 09:49 PM   #9

pumkin HB User

Yes, I have one and I use it alot for my neck spams and also for the back. My insurance bought it for me, I'd give it a try if I were you
Hugs
Jo

Old 09-01-2005, 09:42 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

welcome pumkin! thank you for joining us. you will find people you will come to care very deeply about. wisdom, information, compassion and laughter await you.
peace,
bluelakelady

Closed Thread