It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2005, 09:24 PM   #1
(male)

ermc HB User
Does this sound like Fibromyalgia?

I'm a 23 year old male and have been experiencing a plethora of strange symptoms over the last year.

Here are my symptoms

*Pain on right side of throat and ear

*Funny clicking almost grinding sound in throat when swallowing at a certain angle

*Right side of throat/jawline feels like there is a tenderness or pressure on it

*Painful headaches on right side

*Random muscle twiches, they seem more prevelant when the pains begin

*Pain under right armpit, the doctors I've seen nor I have found any swollen glands

*Pain in chest when exerting energy sometimes (washing dishes for example) or sitting in an uncomfortable chair (I've had this since I was 14 and first started noticing it while playing guitar while sittiing down)

*Sore left hip, feels like its at the bone and hurts when bending over

*Feeling hot or cold when the environment is neither hot nor cold

*red flakey rashes on a knuckle and the underside of my arm (I have dry skin by nature but these are different) Steriod creams seem to have no effect

*Redness in my right eye, tears streaming from the eye randomly at times

*Inability to focus or concentrate on work at times, feels sort of like I'm zoning out or outside of myself

*Extremely tired after waking up, not feeling awake for 3-4 hours after I wake up, feeling tired in the mid day and afternoon. Pains seem the worst when first waking up and come and go throughout the day

*The symptoms seem to come and go. I will be fine and feel great for a a couple of weeks up to a couple of months only for them all to come back to me one day to last anywhere from weeks to months. I believe there might be a possible stress connection. They seem to come back on me hard after I missed sleep one night and tried to readjust my sleeping schedule after feeling healthy and great for over a month.

These are a few symptoms I can think of at the moment, I apologize if the list long or difficult to read. I'm of the understanding that Fibromyaligia isn't common in men, I had my gallbladder removed 5 months ago and I'm also of the understanding that isn't common in men either. There is a family history of fibromyalgia in my family. My aunt on my mom's side was diagnosed with it several years ago.

I appreciate any advice as these symptoms worry me and I won't have access to a doc or medical insurance until november.

Last edited by ermc; 08-18-2005 at 09:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2005, 06:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User
Re: Does this sound like Fibromyalgia?

You do sound like you have fm symtons. The ear and throat problems sound like tmj, which a lot of fmers have.

Have you been checked out by your Dr. because fm can mimic other problems also. Sure sounds like my fm and tmj though.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Last edited by pa235; 08-19-2005 at 06:19 AM.

Old 08-21-2005, 05:20 AM   #3
(male)

ermc HB User

I appreciate your advice. I try to research these things as much as possible now because of bad experiences with doctors in the past. For 3 years I was having terrible stomach pains that would put me into shock and cause me to vomit after nearly every meal. For those three years I was continually misdiagnosed and had a doctor tell me "it's just GERD" "I can't do anything for you goto the ER if it bothers you so much" and had my own family tell me "it's just your nerves" or "it's stress" I had countless ER visits totaling in the thousands. It wasn't until I heavily researched all my symptoms that I found the direct link that it might be my gallbladder, sure enough I walked into the ER demanded an ultrasound on my gallbladder and they found it was heavily full of small sharp stones and needed to be removed immediately.

*big sigh of relief* that was a lot to say but I felt I needed to get it off my chest to help share my perspective and where I'm coming from with all of this. I have something wrong with me now, I'm trying to link my symptoms in the best way possible and self diagnose myself so that I can present it to a doctor and get it taken care of. I have seen a couple of doctors about it and both of them haven't been able to figure out what it is, I've been tested for mono, anemia, viral infection in throat ect. The last visit I had he said he saw a mass of tissue in my throat but thought it was an ulcer with a trapped infection, his advice and medication didn't help any so it is worrying me. I won't have medical insurance until november so I'm holding off on any doc visits until then because I'm sure some expencive testing will be needed.

Old 08-21-2005, 06:36 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User

You sound like thyroid disease to me... and fibro sometimes comes along as a lovely sideline.

Old 08-21-2005, 08:27 PM   #5
(male)

ermc HB User

Hmm, I was tested for thyroid problems when I was younger because I was overweight and had a flaking skin condition they thought was ichthyosis vulgaris (sp?) which I now treat using omega oils and lotion. I lost the weight and with the omega oils my skin is doing much better. The thyroid test came back negative back then but it sort of makes sense that I may have a problem there. I will mention that next time I see a doctor.

Closed Thread