It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2005, 08:54 AM   #1
(female)

angelbc HB User
Memory loss?

My mom was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about 8 years ago. She has a lot of pain in her legs and arms mostly. It is very hard for her to sleep at night and she basically has to triple her sleeping pills dose every night to get some sleep. For awhile now she has had memory loss. I will tell her something and she will not remember or she wil not be able to tell you what she ate the night before. It is all little stuff but it is getting worse. She claims that it is part of her Fibromyalgia and I think it might be the start of Altzimers. Does anyone else have short term memory loss?

Old 08-19-2005, 09:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Re: Memory loss?

We all have something we like to call fibro fog, or brain fog. It is part of fibro, but if your mom is taking that much sleep medication I would almost bet that is a big part of her memory problem. Sleep medication and pain meds if she takes them can cause memory loss. A lot of us take sleep meds, and we have had threads on that but you have to KNOW when and how much to take. Triple the dose can be a bit much, maybe there are other things she could do. Check out the sleep disorder board or look something up on the internet and get a list of things to start with to help her sleep, you know like the same bedtime, no caffiene etc. Maybe something like that would help if she doesn't already do that.

I'm sure some others will have some helpful info too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2005, 10:22 AM   #3
(female)

Lost Robin HB User

Believe me, there have been SO many times that I was sure I had Alzheimers because I can get SO confused and have such a tough time with my memory, especially short-term memory. My kids get frustrated with me all the time. I did have tests and my docs insist it's just part of the fibro. I have had many weird, some scarey, sometimes funny experiences with memory loss and confusion. Last Saturday morning, I drove to our local convenient store (as I do every single weekend) to get myself a cup of their coffee. I took the empty coffee cup that had been in my car so I could throw it in the trash can outside of the store. Next thing I knew, I found myself standing in front of the trash can pushing on my automatic car door opener that hangs from my keychain as if I were trying to "unlock" the trash can. To make matters worse, there were several local guys standing out there engaging in chit-chat as they sipped their morning coffee! I can only IMAGINE what was going through theirs heads when they saw me do that!

I wouldn't get too worried if I were you as long as your mother routinely sees a doc for her fibro and keeps him/her aware of how she's doing. She should absolutely tell her doc about her sleeping problems and how much medicine she is taking.

Take care sweetie,

Robin

Old 08-20-2005, 07:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

I love that one Robin. How many times have you tried to change the channel on the TV only to realize you were holding the portable phone. Or have you dialed an number on the remote control yet? I know I do all those things and many more, the difference I understand is if you know you are doing something that isn't right you don't have alzheimers.

Old 08-20-2005, 08:20 AM   #5
(female)

bilij HB User

Hi friends, do you think the medication we take for fibro causes some
of our fog? Both of my parents lived to be almost 90 and their minds were
clear and active. My mother liked soap operas, reading and working cross-
words. She never lost her mental keenness. My dad loved to tell adventure
stories about his younger days. The grandkids thought they were the
smartest people in the world. For hypertension, they took a diuretic and for
pain they took Buffrin.
I take one Lortab 7.5mg daily, usually broken in half and Ambien 10mg for sleep.
I can actually feel their effects on my body, but without their help the pain and
lack of sleep is worse than the fog. Being old has a few advantages...one is people
expect me to do crazy things, and believe me I do! Lot's of hugs to my friends
wherever you are.
Bilij

Old 08-20-2005, 07:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hello, everyone,

Ithink maybe some of both: fibrofog and meds. With the meds, it's always a Catch-22, risk-benefit. I am on quite a lot of meds for several conditions, and I know that some of them (for sleep and anxiety) are giving me some memory fogginess.
But without them, I get panic attacks a lot and cannot sleep at all.
I used to fight them, but my life was hellish and controlled by symptoms. With them, I can function and have periods of almost well-being from time to time.
For your mom, you can go online to Rx List and type in the name of the drug, then click on Side Effects and check it out there, also ask your pharmacist. And I agree that sometimes a combination of meds for sleep, like a sedating SSRI and a sleeping med, will enable you to lower to dosage of the sleep med itself.

Peace and blessing to us all here,

Seaturtle

Old 08-21-2005, 09:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bilij keeping our minds active with crossword puzzles and the like is what we all should be doing to be sharp at 90, but I think with fibro we all have such fatigue we let down and just try to vegetate sometimes.

We can't live without the meds, so we just have to try and learn to deal with them. I've spent many a night getting up and taking that extra half of sleeping pill and/or a benadryl and when that doesn't work I take some ibuprophen for pain. But we do have to be careful and not overdo.

Old 08-21-2005, 11:37 AM   #8
(female)

movin slo HB User

Hi everyone!
I just love this board and the people Sometimes I do such strange things I don't tell anyone ! I know I would be locked up in the looney bin for sure! Even tho' we might not have the answers to questiions , At LEAST we know WE ARE NOT ALONE !!

Love and Blessings to All

Closed Thread