It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2005, 12:24 PM   #1
(female)

sleas HB User
?'s about Gabapentin

Hi,

Have posted a couple of times before. Have just seen a rheumy last week after my family doc finally listened to me and did some bloodwork. ANA came back positive and RH(?) factor was up. Anyway, the rheumy doesn't think I have Lupus or RA. Does think I have fibro. I have to do a sleep test and he prescribed gabapentin. I am supposed to take 300 mg before bed. It doesn't seem to be doing much for me yet. What exactly is it supposed to do? Is it more of a sleeping drug? Or is it for pain? He said we could up it to 600 mg if it wasn't doing anything, but I am not sure what it is supposed to do. Does it have more of a cumulative effect, longer you take it the better it works? I have found it amazing how a person can go from relatively healthy to feeling like crap in a span of a couple of years. I am 35 and most days I feel 75.

Old 08-24-2005, 02:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Re: ?'s about Gabapentin

Hello sleas,

The other name for this drug is Neurontin. I think in the main it is a painkiller, but I am in the UK and the names of our drugs and the US drugs are different. I do know there is a lot of information about it to be found.

Hopefully someone will be able to let you know who is familiar with it.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 08-24-2005 at 02:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2005, 02:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

Hi, I was on it for a few years and it is actually a anti-seizure med that they have found to be effective in pain aanagementI took it for nerve pain which is what most RX it for, it can have some very nasty side effects, I didn't like it and didn't find it to be very helpful with my pain.
They start you on a very low dose and then gradually increase I know many that are up to about 3600 mg a day.
I don't know if you have any spine problems or nerve impingement, other then for seizures, I haven't heard of drs using this for FM I'm only saying I haven't heard of it not that it isn't done, okay.
I would however be talking to my dr about it as it can be a tough medication and you should know more about it and why your taking it.
god luck.
Linda

Old 08-24-2005, 04:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Hi sleas, did the doc say why he/she doesn't think you have lupus or RA and thinks it is fibro instead? Does the doc think you have a problem with sleep apnea (snoring, gasping for air at night etc.) and that is why you are having problems. I would be asking a few questions of the doc, about your med as jdlfmc suggested and why not RA or some other explanation. Of course I'm just like that, I want info and explanations from my docs. Keep us posted as to what you find out.

Old 08-24-2005, 07:16 PM   #5
(female)

sleas HB User

I am not sure why not Lupus or RA. He asked me alot of questions, then pressed on area's of my body that I knew were tender spots (I've been doing much reading here the past year and a half, trying to find answers). All the areas he pressed on were painful, some more so than others. And I should have written down the symptoms I have been having. I get in there and my mind goes blank. I have had much emotional and physical stress since Jan 2004 (my grandfather and mom both died in 2004, had a total hysterectomy in Jan 2005).

From my reading and searching, I think I can agree with the diagnosis. Have had steady weight gain, sporadic blurry vision, exercise intolerance, extreme muscle aches, fatigue, bloated face in morning, slight anemia. Thyroid tested OK. I do have a bulging disc between T7-8. And I really haven't slept well since my mom was diagnosed with cancer and now has passed. My body is so sore by morning. And my husband says I snore, therefore the sleep apnea test.

Old 08-24-2005, 07:54 PM   #6
(female)

ksp HB Userksp HB Userksp HB User

Hey sleas,
If you want info about the RH test I talked the the moderators and had a sticky post made on the lupus board with a link to and explination of lupus blood test results, I think it has alot of good explinations in plain english. I was put on neurontin for my fibro back in 2004 and it didn't help me but everyones body is different. Hope this helps.
KSP

Old 08-25-2005, 04:12 PM   #7
(female)

movin slo HB User

I was put on neurton (sp) I got up to 3 pill 4times a day. And my stomach could not handle it.

Just me and my 2 cents

Old 08-25-2005, 06:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Stress and no sleep will bring those fibro symptoms on quick! You said thyroid is ok, is your tsh level between 1 and 3? Seems that is where most women feel the best. I also have a buldged disc but mine is between T11-12, I know you are in some pain from that. Just a suggestion, write your questions down before you go to the docs office or just write little bullit points to jog your memory so you won't forget what you want to ask. I start my questions weeks in advance, or when I reading about my illness and think of something. Then the day or so before the appt. I write my little notes, last time I went I had a full notebook page full of bullet points and I ask everyone of them and got answers.

Good Luck, I hope you found a few suggestions here to help.

Old 08-26-2005, 07:26 AM   #9
(female)

sleas HB User

I have noticed that my intestines seem to be working more with gas and what not since starting the gabapentin. I have added melatonin and a benedryl before bed. I seem to be waking up feeling a bit better...hopefully it's not all in my head, thinking these meds are going to be a miracle.

Old 08-26-2005, 08:50 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I take 10mg of ambien, 6mg of muscle relaxer and 25 and/or 50mg of benadryl at night. Anything that can help you sleep a good 5 to7hrs. uninterrupted sleep is a miracle drug. or drug"s"!!

Old 08-29-2005, 09:27 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

I took Neurontin for burning sensations on my skin 600 mg 4 times a day. i take a different anti seizure med to help me sleep: lamictal 200 mg and i take 10 mg of flexeril and xanax. I sleep all night most nights.

Ambian is not for long term use and caused me to have severe depression and weeping, unable to function. I took it for 7 days. When I stopped it, I immediately felt better, immediately. I know it was related. Be aware of this side effect.

Old 08-29-2005, 03:41 PM   #12
(male)

wolveman HB User

hi.I am new to this board,and also a horid speller.Afther saying this I take 400 mgs od gabapentin 3 times a day.for diabetic neurophapy.I feel it has helped in my pain,I have not had any side affects that I know off.I am extremely hungary all the time I dont know if it is related.I hope to know more of you,as we struggle with this dd. take care.

Old 08-29-2005, 04:21 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya wolveman,

I just wanted to say welcome to you and let you know you have come to a superb place for help, support and understanding. Ask any questions you might have and there will always be someone who will be able to get back to you. I look forward to speaking to you again soon.

I don't take any pain meds because I can't mix them with all of my other meds for my oh so many other medical problems he he !! Doesn't do the fibro any good though.

Take care.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 08-29-2005 at 04:24 PM.

Old 08-29-2005, 04:49 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

Hi wolveman and welcome.
That is one of the side effects of the med, I gained about 25# when I was on it and haven't been able to drop it even since going off it it, I'm relly glad to hear it helps your pain though, I can't seem to find one that helps mine that I can live with the side effects or that I'm not allergic to.
400mg. isn't to high of a dose either for it to be helping your pain, most are on about 6 or 7 times that many mg. to get relief.
Good luck.
Linda

Old 08-29-2005, 04:59 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Wolveman welcome to the fm board.

I have been taking ambien for almost two years now and so far no side effects. I'm really lucky that way. Others on the board have taken it longterm also with no problem, but yet some have experienced many different side effects. You gotta search for what works that's for sure.

Closed Thread