It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2005, 06:04 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
Red face Is this common with fibromyalgia?

Hi all, hope someone can advise me. I've had a rough year last year with muscle/stiffness, fatigue and joint pain and was eventually diagnosed by a rheumatologist with myalgia and arthralgia. He put me back on prednisone, 10 , 7 1/2 and then 5 mg as a maintainance, and I was feeling much better with my muscles and joints. Problem is, the pain started again since the doctor tried to wean me off prednisone, even with a very minimal amount down of 1 mg. It seems to have triggered off the pain and stiffness. Now going back to the original amount of 5 mg no longer helps.
These last couple of weeks my body aches from top to bottom. In the last few days I've been experiencing burning skin which I never had before? When I say burning, it's burning! Is this a part of the myalgia or is this something unrelated.? My whole body feels the fire.
The doctor told me to remain on 5 mg and take a pain killer with it? I've already been taking tylenol 8 hr with it for the night, (for several months) I hate to add more to it.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 08-28-2005, 08:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User
Re: Is this common with fibromyalgia?

Yes, the burning skin is a part of FM. I get it often, feels like you have a brush burn.

Try the search, I know there were older posts about this. go into the FM site, I am sure you will get some hits.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2005, 10:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

dorri burning pain is a part of fm. I am down to 4mgs of prednisone but only for about 4days now, don't notice the difference yet. I only use ibuprophen for that extra pain killer if I need it, either 2 over the counter pills or when necessary a prescription 800mg ibuprophen (you have to take it with food) maybe the doc can prescribe something stronger along the lines of your tylenol or something like that. Good Luck!

Old 08-28-2005, 08:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

Linda, thank you. I was thinking how I could explain the burning pain, and couldn't find the right words, but thank you for finding them for me, yes, it does feel exactly like a brush burn.

Glojer, thank you and I hope you do well weaning down on prednisone without any problem. I only take tylenol for the pain. I was told that I can't take any ibuprophen because it would aggravate the CD. What doesn't make any sense, the doctor gave me celebrex (even worse) which did help, but after 5 days or so, I had to discontinue due to the stomach upset it was giving me. Good luck.

Last edited by dorri; 08-28-2005 at 08:37 PM.

Old 08-29-2005, 09:04 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

For the burning, I took 600 mg of neurontin 4 times a day. As soon as the med started to wear off, the burning would start coming back. After a year, i was able to wean off the neurontin

Old 08-30-2005, 09:21 AM   #6
(female)

Happyslove HB User

Burning pain is common with Fibro. Also be careful as long term use of prednisone can cause liver and kidney damage. It can also cause a specific type of anemia (brain fog prevents me from coming up with the right word--pernicuos {sp} maybe) but in any case long term treatment can be very dangerous to the other body organs.

Old 08-30-2005, 12:35 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello There,

All medications must be taken with care. It is the patients choice which medication they do use. The only time the choice is not given to the patient is in the case of urgent medical treatment being required and the patient not being in a fit state to decide themselves. I have been taking steroids for over 30 years and know how to adjust and re-adjust them according to my specific symptoms of whichever illness I am using them for. Regular blood tests keep a check on any internal problems that may occur because of taking steroids. If they are taken for short periods of time, it would be extremely unusual for any long term damage to occur.

Pernicious anaemia is caused by a B12 deficiency. In some papers it has been written that it is believed to also be an automimmune disease. Steroids can be used in the treatment of it, but it is not caused because of taking steroids.

Take care.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 08-30-2005 at 04:13 PM.

Old 08-30-2005, 04:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Golden I remember you saying you had taken prednisone for a long time. So when my doc suggested he didn't have a problem for me to stay on it for a LONG time if I was taking under 5mgs, I thought what the heck if it helps for now I know it can't be all bad cause Goldenwings is pretty terrific and she has been on it for a long time! You think if I stay on it long enough I will be as wise as you? Love Ya, Glojer

Old 08-30-2005, 04:53 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Well Thank You Miss Glojer,

He he !! Seriously though, this is the advantage of being able to be on a lower maintenance dose of steroids. When you start to feel really yukky, you have the option to increase it until you feel better, then gradully drop it back down to your maintenance dose again. You just have to make sure that you are looked after well by your doctor, with regular check ups, which you already know.

Take care my friend.

goldenwings

Old 08-31-2005, 08:05 AM   #10
(female)

kathy 1955 HB User

hi,i have started itching on my face is this usual with fibro,and i too suffer with burning feelings on my legs mainly so bad sometimes cant bear anything to touch them,so glad i found this site,now i know im not alone
kathy xxx

Old 08-31-2005, 08:18 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello kathy,

First of all I want to welcome you to our superb site. Everything you need to ask and anything you need to know, just post and someone at some time will get back to you.

I am obviously not trying to diagnose you, but the burning in your legs is it topical or is it within the muscles, can you tell? If in the muscles, yes that is a definite fibro symptom. Also the itching on you face I cannot really say whether it is a fibro related thing. It might very well be because of allergies, because of skin products you are using, or it could also be that you have sensitive skin to household products. Check all of these out too if you can.

It could be your medications, even OTC things you might have used for a simple cold, or headache. Always check with your pharmacy before purchasing anything especially if you are taking prescribed medications.

Truthfully during the day I can be itchy anywhere on my body, so I honestly don't know what to put it down to. I take tons of medication sofr other medical problems, so it might be that for me. Mine seems to be in one spot one moment, then moves to another. I have problems scratching as I am disabled in my arms, so a door jamb comes in handy at times he he !!

Anyway, come back with any questions you may have, or just to have a chat.

Take care.

goldenwings

Closed Thread