It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2005, 02:11 PM   #1
(female)

ktandnoahsmom HB User
Help with fibromyalgia

I have never been on a message board before so I will apolgize in the beginning if I do something wrong. I'am also very new to having Fibromyalgia and seem to have a good Dr. but still have lots of questions? I would like to talk to someone that has some experience with this and can help or to just give support.

Old 08-29-2005, 04:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Re: Help with fibromyalgia

Hello and Welcome ktandnoahsmom,

May I say that you have chosen such a good place to come for support, warmth and understanding. Ask away and someone will always come back to you to answer your questions. We laugh with each other here, and cry sometimes too. All in all we have so much to offer and we get so much in return from each person who posts.

You have taken the first and best step by coming here. I personally look forward to speaking to you again real soon.

goldenwings

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Welcome ktandnoahsmom, we do a lot of info gathering and question answering here. Got a question just ask as Golden said someone will have some answers. We all try to share our experiences so will be looking forward to sharing with you.

Old 08-29-2005, 05:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

The people on this board have educated me, comforted me, and given me a sense of belonging. I am understood here. The first few posts that stay the same, those are full of all kinds of information about fms and cmp. I was new to posting to boards when i got here too. Welcome!

Old 08-30-2005, 10:35 AM   #5
(female)

bilij HB User

Hello ktandnoahsmom, Welcome to the fibro board. It dosen't matter
whether you are new here or a long time poster, everyone's the same.
Sometimes we're up and sometimes down, but we are hardly ever the
same. I've had fibromyalgia for 5 years and I know little more now than
I did to begin with. Some folks on this board have a better understanding
of the disease than myself; I just try to take it one day at a time, always
hoping tomorrow will be better. One things for sure, you'll get lots of support
here because we understand.
Bilij

Last edited by bilij; 08-30-2005 at 10:37 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 08-30-2005, 11:41 AM   #6
(female)

ktandnoahsmom HB User

It's really nice to know that there is all this support here for me. I have lots of questions? How bad does this get? What helps with the pain. I work in a school with with special needs children and Im constantly on my feet, bending and Im on the go all the time. By the end of the day I can't hardly function and by the end of the week last week I could hardly walk. Nothing seems to help. I keep thinking I'am only 30 and good grief I feel older than my 81 yr. old grandmother.

Old 08-30-2005, 11:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

welcome hon, like they said whether youre a newbie or and oldie youll still find TONS of info and most importantly support and compassion from people who totally understand. dont worry about being a newbie, due to fibro fog, hehe im a newbie almost every time i log on.
most importantly you'll find true here for you.
jen

Old 08-30-2005, 12:26 PM   #8
(female)

JenniferEvelynn HB User

hey kt,
Look back at some threads and you can learn alot that way. There are threads about pain management as well as every topic on FM you can think of. Look at The List, print it out and bring it with you to your next dr appt.
Golden took the words right out of my post: Ask away!!!! We are here to answer anything you have questions about and to support you through good and bad.
Welcome to our family, kt.... we're glad you arrived!
God bless, Jen

Old 08-30-2005, 04:39 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Ktandnoahsmom

Fibro is different for everyone, one of the lovely aspects of the disease. For me the fatigue is the worst. When I'm in a flare the fatigue is my worst enemy and then the pain but for some the pain is the biggest enemy. I cannot sleep so to combat that I take ambien 10mgs and 6mgs of tizanidine (muscle relaxer) and 25mgs. of benadryl every night. If I've been really good, stayed away from caffiene and sugar then I can usually get about 6hrs sleep on those meds.

I don't know how you keep going with a job especially with special needs children, I had to give my job up 1 1/2 years ago and all I did was deal with people checking into a hotel. My hat is off to you!

There are pain meds others on here take and can help you with. I have a great deal of joint pain from possible Lupus so I have been taking prednisone and that seems to help (low dose only 4mgs).

Be sure to have your thyroid checked if you haven't already. Ask for your results and make sure your tsh is at least between 1 and 3. There is more to having good thyroid numbers, but the tsh is a good place to start. I can't tell you how much better I felt when I got my tsh below 3. Contrary to some gp's thinking most women feel best when their tsh is between 1and3 and that is the standards endocrinologist go by.

I hope I have given you something to think about and maybe helped some. Getting through each day is what we do here, don't forget fibromyalgia doesn't define who you are, it is just something you have to deal with.

Glojer

Old 08-31-2005, 04:00 PM   #10
(female)

ktandnoahsmom HB User

I seem to be taking all the blood test all the time. When I was 27 I had a complete hysterectomy and they have never got the hormones straight with that. I gained a lot of weight because they just don't seem to know what to do with a women my age who seems to have lots of problems. I would just like my life back. I'm currently taking Diflunsial as an Anti inflamatory and Pain med and Clonazepam for a sleeping med. The sleeping pill is helping my with the sleep but I don't really the think the pain med is doing anything. I constantly hurt and feel swollen, yes some days are worse than others. But like I said before I don't know what is normal, I know everyone is going to be different but shouldn't the pain med give some relief ? What are some other meds that are out there that have seemed to help. Some of my friends tell me I should file for disability? I don't know much about that!

Old 08-31-2005, 07:25 PM   #11
(female)

movin slo HB User
Talking Re: Help with fibromyalgia

kt,
I know the feeling hehe. Most of the time I feel older than my grandfather (who is dead),Today he would be 105 years old. on those days I walk like I'm 105 <gin>Most days it is my shoulders and lower back. If you have fm, you might try magnesium maltrate (sP) It is helping me if I don't let the pain get too far along. I also take vit. B150, vit E,C.
But I'm also on a lot of pain meds, stomach meds, anti-anxity.I'm diabetic, and have cf, and use a cpap machine.
Welcome to this great board !

Old 08-31-2005, 11:29 PM   #12
(female)

gracefreno HB User
Unhappy Re: Help with fibromyalgia

Hi Everyone

I Am A First Time Member Of This Site,i Also Suffer From Fibromyalgia Chronic Fatigue. I Had This Illnes For Over 8 Years It Took Doctors 2 Years To Diagnosed Me With This Ilness, Just Knowing That This Health Board Is Here In This Website,lets Me Know That I Am Not Alone To Face This Unknown Illnes Or Invisable Illness Like Its Known For I Have So Much Severe Pain On My Legs Iam Unable To Get Out Of Bed In The Morning Alot Of People Even Friends Make Comment Well U Look Fine All The Time If They Only Knew Wat We Have To Go Through.well I Hope I Get To Chat With Some Of U Or Email Me I Dont Have Any Friends I Need Advise And Cheering Up So I Do Not Become Severly Depressed Is There Any Cure For This Bad Illness? Email Me With Any Advice Thanks For Listening And May God Bless All Of You.

[ please read and follow the posting rules - no emails ]

[ Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board. ]

Last edited by moderator2; 09-01-2005 at 07:42 AM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules - no emails

Old 09-02-2005, 10:22 AM   #13
(female)

movin slo HB User
Thumbs up Re: Help with fibromyalgia

Welcome grace,
I'm sorry that some people are giving you problems. Fibro. is hard for people to understand when they don't have it. Some think when we say "man my back,or etc. hurts so bad". They probable think oh, yeah I've had back aches,no big deal it goes away. They don't understand our pain is different than their's. When they say, well you look ok. Just ingnore them or say "I know, do you really think God would let me hurt this bad and look terrible too?"
Just don't let other people get you down. Just know that they don't understand because they don't have this DD. Don't push yourself to do more than you are able. And at the end of the day think of all you did do!!
Keep posting because YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

Old 09-02-2005, 10:26 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Movin slo I like that response, oh my I hope God doesn't let me look like I feel some days. I would be traumatizing children and senior citizens!!!

Old 09-02-2005, 10:32 AM   #15
(female)

movin slo HB User
Wink Re: Help with fibromyalgia

Boy, that's the truth! hehehe Halloween would be a Daily event for me !! children would cry, dogs would howl,

Last edited by movin slo; 09-02-2005 at 10:36 AM. Reason: adding to message

Closed Thread