It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2005, 05:15 AM   #1
(female)

Sorrento HB User
Could this cause fibromyalgia?

Hi everyone

In January I had a bit of an accident whereby I was standing next to a microwave which was leaking too much hot air from it's cavity and blowing into my face. Since then my eyes and head have been dull aching and my eyes feel really tight. I believe that the hot air dispelled caused my eyes to dry up - this is what I believe, though docs can't tell there is anything wrong!

Then a couple of days after this incident I started feeling slightly dizzy, foggy with a swimmy head, finger tremors, palpitations and my joints and muscles ache a lot and I feel exhausted and weak all the time. I've had this for 7 months now and my doc just thinks I'm suffering from anxiety, but I know it's more than this - my short term memory is shocking (it used to be really good) and I have to strain to think clearly.

My question is: is it possible for an accident which I've briefly described bring on fibromyalgia? I believe I have similar symptoms and that the trauma of what has happened has brought it on. I am thinking of going back to the docs, but am apprehensive because he just thinks I am anxious, but I'm only anxious about my symptoms and being in pain!

Does anyone think this is possible???

Oh and by the way, please don't let this make you feel worried about microwaves - the one concerned was a very old make from the dark ages!

Old 08-31-2005, 07:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User
Re: Could this cause fibromyalgia?

Hi, Sorrento.

I don't know about accidents involving microwaves; maybe you could find more info on the net or with a radiation/oncologist or radiologist. Just a thought.

Many people with fms have had injuries or surgeries that have triggered onset, but not everyone.

You will find so much information on this board and caring, helpful people whose knowledge and experience with fms is invaluable. I highly rec the book "Fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain" by Devin Starynyl. I checked it out the library and then bought it. It explains everything, even how to live with fibrofog. It is my fms/cmp bible.

With doc visits, what helped me was to have 3 or 4 simple questions and gave a copy to my doc and we reviewed them together. I practiced what i was going to say before my visit. I did this because i would get too emotional and foggy and the doctors not listen. I also took a list of my symptoms.

Ask for a referral to a rheum or pain mgmt doctor who can diagnose your illness, if your doctor won't or can't dx you and doesn't know how to treat you.

I too have fibrofog, achy joints and muscles and periods of fatigue during the day. I had part of this summer w/o symptoms and thought it was all gone. But the symptoms cycled. Now i am back to writing them on my calendar.

Fear/stress/anxiety all release hormones known to increase fms symptoms, so try to be calm. I know this is easier said than done. But it does help. It helps the fog too.

I wish you the best and hope that you find the answers you need and treatment that is best for you.

You are in my prayers.
Bless you and may you receive your answers and treatment plan soon.

Donna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2005, 04:09 AM   #3
(female)

Sorrento HB User
Re: Could this cause fibromyalgia?

Hi Donna

Your kind reply has been really helpful. I've been reading everyone's experiences and everyone does seem so caring it has been a great comfort just knowing I'm not alone.

I've no idea if this is what I have, but a lot of the symptoms sound similar. I am going to try and go back to my doc and take a list of 3-4 simple questions and also write myself a few little pointers so I don't go blank in there! I had actually written down a list of my symptoms for my neurologist appointment - he actually said I had too many symptoms for it be anything serious!!! How can that be?! When I came out I actually wished I'd only mentioned a couple of symptoms so then he might have taken me seriously - how ridiculous!

I've tried looking up stuff on radiation/microwaves on the net, but it seems such a grey area that I am none the wiser - there is nothing on there mentioning anyone who has ever had any accident/incident with one (except me!).

I also think you are right about fear/stress/anxiety making it worse. I had a really stressful evening last night (I'm moving house next week and am feeling frazzled!) and today my symptoms are much worse and I feel so foggy and out of it - I just want to sleep.

It must've been wonderful to go part of the summer w/o symptoms, but how demoralising when it comes back - I've had a few better days, but it's never gone away.

I wish you all the best and I hope you get more of those better days w/o symptoms! Thank you for taking the time to reply - it has really helped.

Take care
x

Closed Thread