It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2005, 07:18 AM   #1
(female)

JenniferEvelynn HB User
Smile How is your diet?

Good morning my fibro family,
Once again it's Wednesday, the day when I receive a very informative email about FM. I'd like to share a part of it with you all about diet and how important eating right is and how it's connected with how we feel. I find that if I eat alot of sugary foods, junk food, or just don't eat healthy food on a regular schedule, I feel awful - jittery, weak, flu-ish. We've discussed diet before, this is just to give us more information. The author of the article I took this from is Dr. Steven B. Ross, a dr in California who has written several articles on FM and CFS. Enjoy!

"Diet
When considering what determines your state of health, there are two aspects to be understood. One is your genetic heritage, which up until recently we thought was an unquestionable factor which unfortunately is beyond your control. The other is your environment, which fortunately you have considerable influence over. Of the environmental factors, second only to your thoughts and emotions is your diet and nutritional balance.
In all fairness, when looking to improve your health, perhaps nutritional factors should be considered and engaged even before your thoughts and emotions.

"Let's now address the dietary fundamentals that will lay the foundation you will need in order to optimize the results of your targeted nutrition program. Contrary to what some might have you believe, your daily food and beverage choices do not require a degree in nutrition, just common sense and common practice. You start with the following distinctions:

1. Choose simple whole foods. Those that Mother Nature has always provided for us.
2. Eat them in their natural form, or as close to it as possible. Less processing generally means more nutritional value.
3. Eat as wide a variety of these minimally processed, whole natural foods as circumstances allow. This maximizes your exposure to various nutrients while minimizing your repeated exposure to potential contaminants (e.g. pesticides, insecticides, etc.).
4. Pay special attention to ensuring sufficient high quality, low fat proteins in your diet. Balance every 15 grams of protein with 2-3 cups of low starch vegetables as often as possible.
5. Be moderate with your starch intake. Stick to the less processed whole grains and whole vegetables.
6. Balance starch/carbohydrates with quality proteins wherever possible.
7. Be sure to get at least 3 pieces/servings (1/2 - 1 cup) of fresh fruit and 4-6 cups of fresh vegetables every day.
8. Reduce animal fats (fatty meats, dairy fats) and eliminate hydrogenated oils, trans fats and processed vegetable oils (i.e. all fried foods, margarines, commercial salad dressings, oils, sauces, confectionaries and baked goods). Instead, substitute monounsaturated oils for low heat stir-fries, light sautéing, salad dressings and baking (e.g., olive oil, canola and almond oils) and Omega3-rich, properly shielded (from air, light and heat) oils, such as flax, pumpkin and walnut for salad dressings and sauces. These nutritious oils are not to be cooked.
9. Drink at least 8 glasses of pure water daily.
10. Substitute herbal and naturally decaffeinated teas for caffeinated beverages and sodas (including chemical containing 'diet' drinks). "

The only thing we need to do now is try and follow this advice. We've all heard it and read it before, and it's easier said than done. I can attest to this! But, it's worth trying to stick to a nutritional diet - especially when it makes us feel better!

Have a great day everyone.... God bless, Jen
PS: I joined Weight Watchers last week... I weighed in yesterday - I lost 2 pounds the first week! HOORAY! Let's see if I can stick to it this time!

Last edited by JenniferEvelynn; 08-31-2005 at 07:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2005, 07:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User
Re: How is your diet?

JenniferEvelynn, Thanks for sharing this information. I eat way too many starches; it seems like i am always hungry. I have gained so much weight so quickly that I am trying to get in to see and endo re my thyroid. I have thought about weight watchers. It sounds like you like it. I wish you success as you change your eating habits and lose weight. Donna

Old 08-31-2005, 07:48 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

HOORAY!
i eat healthy, drink my water, and exercise.
my only cheat is my candy. if i left the candy alone i would weigh less, however i am not overweight for me, giggle. i sit around 150 and am 5'5". no, i don't care what the chart says i am supposed to weigh!
i got into the macrobiotic diet a few years ago. my shrink is a cancer survivor. he has been on the diet for 10 years or more. it is like the foundation of my eating, only i still indulge from time to time. like tonight, brother and i are going out for pizza. yummie!!! sometimes i do meat. i have noticed now that i eat very little beef, that when i do i am so tired the next day and sore.
i am in your cheering section, jen old girl. by the way, when i started all this i was sitting way too close to 200 lbs. if i can get here from there so can you. there is nothing special about me or my journey. attitude and determination in the face of all odds. this quality you have my dear. as do i. and that my friend is what get's you there from here. i am so proud of you, so very proud!!
hugs, peace and fresh veggies,
bluelakelady

Old 08-31-2005, 10:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Jen, thanks for the info. I am always trying to eat and feed my family healthy, but am sometimes not so successful. We all know how important it is so we keep trying. Thanks again.
Glojer

Old 08-31-2005, 11:11 AM   #5
(female)

JenniferEvelynn HB User

Hi Donna, Blue and Glojer,

Thanks all for your responses. We all know how hard it is to stick to eating good food. I'm at 179 lbs and am 5'6", so not too badly overweight, but enough to make me feel yucky.

Blue, you're right about those darned charts. If we all listened to those, we'd be skinny minnie's ... those charts are so unrealistic. They don't take into account your heritage, bone structure or body shape.

Losing two pounds a week may not seem like much, but it adds up (I have to remind myself of this!)!

Thank you all for your encouragement....and kind words God bless, Jen

Old 08-31-2005, 02:05 PM   #6
(female)

thomasina HB User

About my diet...POOR, I eat what my body asks for (or demands) I just don't eat enough of the "good stuff" I'm trying, but with all the medications, a lot of my favorite foods tastes YUKO to me. So I bought Ensure...yuk..now I choke down baby cereal. yuk again, but it's the LARGE M&M's that get me through me days.
I'm 5.5" and 100#'s sometimes up to 104. You know that yo-yo thing. Not my monthly Aunt Flo...She's been kicked out a few years ago. HAHAHAHAH

Last edited by thomasina; 08-31-2005 at 02:06 PM.

Old 09-01-2005, 04:25 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Jenn, losing 2 lbs. a week is fabulous! That's the way to do it, those 10lbs. a week (exaggeration) diets never work and never last. My problem has always been that I could only lose 2lbs. a month. I struggled for 3years and finally lost 30lbs. and then just stopped losing no matter what I did. Of course I found out I had fibro and thyroid problems and etc. and of course all the weight came back on.

I'm getting to a place where I can work at it again though and hope to do better than before. Thanks for the info and encouragement.

Old 09-02-2005, 02:40 PM   #8
(female)

DecLady HB User
I know that the better I eat...

The better I feel most of the time. It isn't 100% fool proof...but when I eat well, I tend to have less aches and more energy. But when I have too much disruption in my diet...It seems to show up quickly in terms of worsening my symptoms. So, it is one more way for us to help ourselves I think....

Old 09-02-2005, 02:47 PM   #9
(female)

Lost Robin HB User
Question Re: How is your diet?

Hi Jen,

Yes, losing weight at a rate of about 2lbs. per week is the BEST way to do it. I absolutely agree that you DON'T want to be losing weight at a much more rapid rate because that's the type of dieting that will fail you every time. Just remember, the quicker you lose the weight the quicker you're most likely to put it back on.

I'm in pretty much the same boat. I am 5'6" and my weight is now up to 187 lbs.! I have gained 37 lbs in the past year. I have so many different sizes of clothing I could probably open up my own shop!

I am REALLY in trouble here with my diet or lack thereof. Before I became ill with FM/CFS, I rarely ate sweets. Since I've been ill, I gradually lost my appetite and now, for about the past 6 months or so, the only thing I can seem to get into my mouth are ice cream sandwiches! Once in a while I mix it up with an ice cream sundae or a nice fat bowl of chocolate pudding with tons of whipped cream. I usually don't feel hungry all day. About an hour or so after I get home from work, I have such incredible cravings for ice cream sandwiches to the point that it is not unusual for me to throw down 6 of them in one evening! HELP!!!

I have read several things about people with FM having sugar cravings but this is just AWFUL! The thought of putting anything healthy in my mouth makes me sick. I did, however, force myself to buy a bag of trail mix that is basically nuts and dried fruit. I've been working on a small bag all week. And yes, I do still work but I'm not sure how much longer which really scares me. I'm a 50 year-old single mom with 2 teenagers to finish raising. I'm already taking 60mg of OxyER a day with OxyIR for break-through pain.

So does anyone know exactly why we get these sugar cravings or loss of appetite? Is it the illness itself, the fatigue, the meds?

I made an appointment with a nutrionist but decided to cancel it. I figured there was no point to spending over $100 (my insurance doesn't cover this) to have someone tell me what I SHOULD be eating when I already pretty much no the answer.

Any suggestions from you guys would be greatly appreciated!

I hope everyone has a happy, pain-free holiday weekend!

Robin

Old 09-02-2005, 06:19 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Robin I feel your pain, sugar and I are closely related!!!!! I think the sugar cravings come from several things, one of them being stress. The sugar is, or ice cream, is your panacea. It takes a very concious effort for me to stay away from sugar and of course I feel better when I do. What I have tried and found that is working lately is eating 5 or 6 small meals a day. I know that could be hard when working, but they have these new 100 calorie packs (watch the sugar content) and they could be helpful at work. I don't know if you can tolerate splenda or not, but I have replaced a lot of sugar with splenda. I also like the low carb splenda yogurts. I know how you feel and how hard it is to not eat the comfort food, if donuts come into my house there better be plenty because I can eat 5 or 6 in no time (that's why they are not allowed in the house). I don't have children at home, just my hubby and me (our daughter lives with us but she is 30 and takes care of herself) so it is easy for me to not buy or bring food into the house that is going to tempt me. Keeping my husband from doing that is a different story! Tonight he brings bagels home and cream cheese from the bread co. !! Robin when you are ready you will do better with your eating, it is just being in the right time in your life to be able to deal with it. Like I always say, baby steps, one at a time. Just remember when you are ready and if you want encouragement we are here for you.

Glojer

Old 09-05-2005, 02:59 AM   #11
(female)

Lost Robin HB User

Hi Glojer,

Yo have no idea how much better you made me feel!

As a matter of fact, I just tried Spenda for the very first time this morning in my coffee. I can't tolerate the other sugar substitutes but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to use this one.

Actually, when I have tried to avoid sugar in the past, I was most successful when I just ate or drank something plain rather than using any substitute at all. We'll see how it goes this time. I have to do something though. I'm wearing the biggest clothes I have and refuse to buy bigger! I'm also afraid of becoming diabetic!

Thanks so much for your kind words of support. And by the way .... I tried something new last night .... I made 5 Edy's ice cream cones and ate every last one of them!

Have a wonderful day!

Robin

Old 09-05-2005, 10:10 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

ohhh diet, hmm. not a good one. i crave carbs!! used to crave sweets but im doing alot better with that now. im not a huge meat eater so usually eat veggies , carbs , pasta!!! or cereal. trying to cut down on eating fast foods, i hear theyre so unhealthy but sometimes its just easier to order or have hubby pick something up than to have to cook. im 5'3 and have always weighed around 122 or so. TILL a little over a year ago. started noticing i was gaining two lbs here, two there. no matter what i did i kept gaining. cut down on carbs, sweets, nothing.
i now weigh 140 and wow can i tell a difference. went from a size 4 to a size 10 in that time. i know it doesnt sound like too much but weighing what i did for almost half my life then up to 140 in such a short time, i can feel a huge difference.
got my thyroid checked and (after a sonogram) they found i have several nodules on my enlarged thyroid, so doc said that was probably why ive being gaining weight.

im going to try juicing and see if that helps me lose some of the weight. heck i weighed 135 when i gave birth to my son. i now weigh 5 more lbs than when i was 9 months pregnant 28 yrs ago. im afraid that if i DONT do something NOW, two lbs here and there will get me over the 150 mark very SOON. im open to any suggestions .

Old 09-05-2005, 04:25 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I wish I could help you guys, but I'm in the same sorry boat. Never weighed over 95lbs in my life until I was pregnant, weighed 105 then went back down to 98 or 100lbs. Got pregnant again when my daughter was 9mo old and after my son was born, started gaining and couldn't stop. I could still yo yo cause I was young and had the energy. I wish I knew then that my thyroid was all messed up cause now with the fibro, lupus and thyroid losing weight is next to impossible, but I won't give up!!! Yesterday was my grandsons birthday party and I had cake and a big piece too. I thought what the heck I will enjoy myself and have a great time and I did. I will say today though I think I'm paying for the sugar cause I have a lot more pain.

I weigh as much as I have ever weighed and I am only 5'2" and of course I wear the biggest size I have ever worn. I just won't give up, I know somehow I will get this weight off, at 56yrs. old I may have a bunch of 'flapping' skin but if it helps my joints and muscles who cares I'll just stay covered up.LOL

Old 09-06-2005, 02:32 PM   #14
(female)

JenniferEvelynn HB User

Hi Robin, Jen, Glo, Blue, and everyone else

Did I have to bring up this terrible four letter word? D-I-E-T !!!!! Today I weighed in for my second week at weight watchers... not such good news... I gained .2 lbs. Yeah. .2. Not much, but a gain nonetheless. It is SO hard to lose weight.

I've also noticed this addiction to sweets. I don't eat alot of them. I don't have candy and sugary stuff hanging around my house, but like was said, if there is something I really like - fudge pops or something - I will eat the entire box before I feel satisfied. It's that darned sugar!!! I think FM does something to us so that we crave it.

I think it's also hard for me because I was so skinny when I was young. I weighed 100 lbs even after I had my first couple of children. Now I'm 178. Depressing, but I suppose it could be worse. This disease does something to our metabolism. Or maybe it's because we just don't have the energy to do as much as we did before and that ='s weight gain.

Thank you all for your input!

God bless, Jen

Old 09-06-2005, 07:08 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

In the fibro books I have read, they all say that with fibro comes weight gain. As much as 50 or 60 pounds!!!!! Yes, I have gained every pound of it too!!! It seems to be just a by product because of lack of energy and thyroid problems and as stated in one of the books fibro effects our hypothalmus. In other words it turns our furnace down or almost off and we don't burn up those calories like we should. No, I don't remember any great solutions for that problem either, sorry! I'm doing everything I can and if I come up with something that definatly works I will let you know, I promise!

Closed Thread