It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2005, 08:55 AM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Thumbs up It All Counts

Each morning I rise early. I prepare my cup of coffee and head outside. When I rise my body is in pain. My legs do not want to work. So I walk around our property with my cat friends skipping and rolling and rubbing my legs. We venture down the stairs. My legs protest, I forge ahead.
Today as I walked down the steep drive, after descending the stairs, I looked to the east. There in the sky the moon smiled down. The moon is almost gone for another cycle. Like a Cheshire cat that smile hung solitary in the early dawn. Brilliant white. To the south the morning star shone over the top of a redwood tree.
After opening the gate for my brother to go off to work I climbed back up the drive and up those uneven steps. I felt the burn which comes so quickly now as I am very out of shape. My arms are strong from lifting all those boxes. But these legs of mine, they are simply are wasting away. They have become skinny and jiggle when I walk.
So I walk. Exercise does not always mean a machine you work out on. It can be as simple as tiny walks. I come in and take short breaks sitting down or lying on my bed. Then I pop up as the pain returns with bells on and walk. Each time the kinks work out a little more.
The sound of doves singing, hawks crying, and the school bus coming for the children are my symphony. The coming dawn a canopy above my head radiating shades of blue ever changing as the sun comes. Stars fade. I walk down to see if the nectarines are ripe. Not yet. Perhaps another week. Next I walk up again to see if the peaches are ready. Soon. It is an unusual year with Mother Nature. How fortunate I am to have good healthy fruit growing in my yard. Greedy with anticipation, I check them every day. The thought of juice running down my chin spurs me to make that walk each morning.
From several spots on our property I see an emerald cut slice of the lake. The sun has come to it. It shines like a blue white diamond set in tree tops. Beyond it the mountains rise and the lights of the towns across the lake twinkle out.
I walk around the back of the house, up some more steps. Hear those legs sing? Has the jack rabbit been thru here today? I see no sign of his passing. I will scatter a bit of rabbit feed around the yard for him. More exercise. I have to bend over to get that rabbit food and then use my arms to cast it about.
I believe what I am trying to convey with my little story is that it all counts. Little walks, using my arms and finding a state of peace within. It all counts. It is my choice, as it is yours to find those little ways to keep as fit as we can given our health and the limitations of our bodies.
I start physical therapy today. I was supposed to start last Friday but I hit the old fibro fog wall and missed my appt. How ready my body is for one of those massages that leave me wishing I was on vacation from my body for a day or two. And yet on that third day I am so glad I had the massage as I am filled with energy instead of pain. Swim therapy starts next week. I have missed the pool. The feeling of my legs and arms working in harmony. The weightless delight of floating on my back after a good work out. And of course the absolute delight I get because in water I only weigh 15 lbs. Each joint is eased of it's burden. I feel their sighs of relief. Giggle, and they call this exercise?
Blessings to you all. May your day be filled with sights that inspire you to be more today than you were yesterday. May you all count the gifts your life is filled with. And say a prayer to whomever you pray for all our brothers and sisters in the south. Each time I watch the news I am reminded once again how very little I have to worry about.
Peace,
bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2005, 03:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Re: It All Counts

Oh blue thanks so much for the wonderful tour of your yard. I know all too well about those steps. I live in a townhouse, 3floors, 2flights of steps!! We use to live on a private street of older homes, we all had large 1/2 acre or more yards. We had the birds and rabbits and squirrels. The end of our street had a 3acre spring fed lake on 13 land locked acres. The coyotes and wildlife that lived in those acres and the fish in the lake, it was our bit of heaven. That is until the lady who owned the land and the lake passed away with no children and left everything to the church and a godchild. The heirs of course were all to anxious to sell, it was prime real estate and a developer moved in drained the lake built expensive new houses (that always had water in the basements, at least the ones built where the lake was) and ruined our little piece of heaven. Of course the original 28 residents fought the builder, but we didn't have enough money or clout. Our children were off to college so my husband and I decided it was time to move on. We have been very happy in our townhouse and now I can live vicariously through the wonderful things you write about in your posts. Thank you so much for sharing.

I must say I don't know what I would do now, with having the fibro, with all that yard and all the upkeep. It was almost too much when I was young. That's how I know I had fibro back then but just didn't know it and of course it wasn't this bad. I remember the pain and fatigue just trying to take care of things and the children.

OK, I know too long a post, but I had to share and say thanks.

Glojer

Old 09-01-2005, 10:16 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

your posts are never too long. thank you for taking me back to a time in your history and sharing what you lived.
this quarter acre will probably kick my butt too. it will be good for me. i started therapy today. some stretching, like being on a rack. some massage, shoving those fingers deep under the base of my skull and then off to exercise my weak legs.
by saturday i will be in love with my body. today i could divorce it if i could figure out who get's custody of the brain. giggle.
sweet dreams,
bluelakelady

Old 09-02-2005, 03:37 AM   #4
(male)

brend HB Userbrend HB User

Bluelakelady,
I have read your post twice. What a woderful way with words you have. Through your writing I was able to be with you on your journey through your property. Yes you are so right, everything counts.
I live in a large house on half an acre and I sometimes wonder how I am going to get all the jobs done. I dont fret about it as I know I can only do so much and my good wife is a trojan worker. She has a fulltime job and does most of the gardening and house maintainance. Every day I thank God for blessing me with a beautiful and caring wife. Some jobs she just cannot do and these I have to get to. I sometimes feel she also leaves easy jobs for me to do so I can have the satisfaction of doing them.
Anyway thanks for sharing your story. Did you ever consider writing a book?. You have rare talent for description.

Brend

Old 09-02-2005, 07:46 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

hi brend,
how are you my friend? it seems forever since we chatted last. you are most welcome. i write for you and for all the gentle souls here. a book? maybe some day. for now i am deeply satisfied writing here. being able to take friends away from their reality for a few minutes and perhaps inspire them is payment enough.
give that goddess of yours a big hug from this lady on the lake. she is your book.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 09-02-2005, 08:35 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

me again. i just went for another little walk outside. i checked that peach tree and guess what i found? yes, a ripe peach! it was juicy and sweet. juice dripping with each bite. sticky fingers and a sloppy big smile. what a way to start the day!
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 09-03-2005, 06:27 AM   #7
(female)

DecLady HB User

Your posts always make me smile! I was reminded this morning about walks in my own yard. We have an unusual space being that it is nearly an acre large, but on a side street right in a rural Wisconsin town. We have trees and hidey ho's for lots of wild critters to call home. I love seeing them all. We have a small pond that we made from rocks in our yard and this year I have counted 11 frogs and toads that are residing there! Daily I walk to the pond to count the creatures...and clean out debri. I love taking my two dogs for a walk around the far reaches of the yard to sniff and explore. I pull weeds from my flower beds ( a bit at a time of course) and from my vegetable patch. I water my pots of flowers...I agree with you..it all counts! I may not be so energetic about walking on my treadmill...but I enjoy my yard...and although the steps to access the back of the yard are often painful and slow..it is always worth the trek! The more difficult time for me will be again when the snow falls...and the bitter winds blow...and I cannot be out there for it increases the pain levels way too much . But, I will enjoy it till then...

Old 09-03-2005, 07:46 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

dear declady,
good for you! there is joy in those little bits of exercise. in the winter i walk circles within my home. i gaze outside and watch nature sleeping. it does not snow here every year. only a bit some years. we have rain. gobs of rain. and it does get cold for california. yea, i know land of endless sun. we hit the low 20's quite a bit in winter.
when i simply cannot stand to be inside i put on my ski jumpsuit and boots and long johns and a turtle neck and a heavy coat. i grab my umbrella if it is raining and go for a walk. by the time i get dressed i am pooped and all those layers of cloth hurt. but that little walk outside is worth the hassle and the pain. sometimes i just have to be outside no matter what the weather. now it probably would be different if i lived in wisconsin. more cloths to put on.
i only lived in snow once in my life when i was 20. ely nevada. cold, my goodness it was cold. i cannot imagine being there now with this body. how on earth do you manage? i remember after one very huge snow storm i had to dig my car out of the snow. all that i could see was a hump in the vast whiteness. i dug and giggled, dug and giggled. the whole little town decided i was a crazy woman. i guess no one else thought it was fun to dig their car out of the snow. for this california girl it was a blast. that was 30 years ago when i had less miles on my body. i simply cannot fathom doing that now.
each night during summer i drift off to sleep to the sound of crickets. you with your pond must doze away to the sound of frogs. i love that sound.
keep up the good care of your body. i am off to hike down to the nectarine tree and see if anybody is ready to be eaten. maybe i will see the deer today.
peace,
bluelakelady

Last edited by bluelakelady; 09-03-2005 at 07:48 AM. Reason: forgot a letter in a word, fibro fog????

Old 09-03-2005, 10:01 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Declady your yard sounds lovely, how fortunate you are to have such a great place to spend your day. I remember those times of being in the yard with the children and dog and all the laughing and running and barking. The children playing games with each other and the dog playing games with the squirrels and rabbits. Thanks for bringing back such wonderful memories.

Closed Thread