It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2005, 09:11 PM   #1

Marielle HB User
Farming & Fibro

Hello to all fellow suffers.
I just felt the need to write and tell all of you how much it means to me to come to this board and read about what you are going through and how much I can relate to you. I suffer here on the farm in silence as there is much work to be done and every movement causes so much pain. But I do so enjoy every cow and every calf, every horse and every dog, and every llama here on the farm. I really do feel blessed that I can enjoy the animals that help to get my mind off of my pain that floods every part of me. Getting out of bed in the mornings is a huge struggle so I think about something on the farm that beckons to me and slowly I can find the strength to get out of bed and shuffle around to the critters that mean so much to me.
Just coming to the board brings reality home for me. There really are others out there that feel the way that I do today. Wow! That brings relief, comfort, acceptance, understanding, and peace of mind to know that what I feel is real, debilating, exhausting, frustrating, painful, and challenging. A whole gamut of emotions that I feel from all of you makes me realize that there can only be understanding from those of us who live and breathe this every day.
Most days I think I just crave understanding but don't know how to achieve this when living on a dairy farm, especially when it is the animals that need to have top priority as they depend on us to care for them. So a big thank you to all of you, especially Blue Lake Lady, and others, for all of your insights into your lives. So many of us quietly come to the boards to read your thoughts and your discussions. Coming to the board is like curling up with a good book to read, and feeling right at home. It really is a big deal for me because I know that when I come here to the board, I will see and feel reality for what I go through every day. Thank you for sharing your lives with all of us and giving us the peace and acceptance that we so struggle for from those who surround us in our daily lives. Blessings to you all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2005, 09:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User
Re: Farming & Fibro

welcome to the board marielle, nice to have you aboard. that is so cool you live on a farm away from all the craziness. i really look foward to your stories and sharing advice with you. again a very warm welcome from your fellow fibromite.
robin (girl75)

Old 09-05-2005, 09:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

welcome marielle, what a beautiful name! you sound like a very special person. you are in pain and still get such joy in taking care of your animals. lol they sound more like pets than animals. trust me, i know how that goes. my poodle is like my baby. i have people who claim dogs are just dogs, uh uh. shes my baby and as such i spoil her and she brings me such joy as well.

you will find many many people on here who understand and know what youre going thru, living thru everyday hon. may we all find joy in helping each other as well. yes bluelakelady rocks! as do many many others on here. each brings their own special gift to the boards and in doing so , help us to know we are not going thru this ALONE. we have each other, and each one of you is a gift to me. i look foward to your postings marielle.
jen

Last edited by Jenetti; 09-05-2005 at 09:51 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 09-05-2005, 12:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello Marielle,

Welcome to our family. I agree with what has already been said. We are here for each other and we care so much for each other that nothing is too much for any of us to listen to and be part of.

Take care and hope to speak to you very soon.

goldenwings

Old 09-05-2005, 04:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Welcome Marielle, I use to spend my summers on my aunt and uncles farm. They were cotton and soy bean farmers, just a few animals. I loved it though, I was born and raised in the city, but I'm a country girl a heart. Look forward to sharing our common experiences with fibro with you.

Glojer

Old 09-05-2005, 08:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,

Yes, welcome to you! I don't post that often, but I read every night, and get such comfort and help from this board. These are wonderful folks here.
I've never lived on a farm, but I know that without my cats, I wouldn't be able to do as much as I do, and when I have lost hope and am really down and exhausted or in pain, they bring me right out of it. They don't let me feel sorry for myself, and if I do, they manage to knock something major on the floor, like a gallon of milk, and that wakes me up to the wonderful present.
Thanks for posting,

Seaturtle

Old 09-06-2005, 06:18 AM   #7

Marielle HB User

Thanks everyone for the welcome and for your interest in my farming life. I will try to share some of my life here on the farm to those of you who are interested. A little background here on the farm: We have 76 milking Holstein cattle (black & white) and they get milked three times a day. We also have a few Paint horses and quarterhorses and a pony, Apache, who is very naughty. We have 4 llamas, 2 goats, a German Shepherd and also raise Newfoundland dogs.
Our naughty pony, insists on escaping from his pasture into the pasture of Hershey Kisses and Pearl, two Holstein cows that are trying to enjoy a little peace and quiet while waiting for their babies to arrive. Apache knocks an oak board off of the board fence in order to get into the other pasture. So now it feels like I am playing a game with him and which board will he pick next? Nevermind that he is in a pasture with Kwik, our Paint mare, and two yearlings, he insists he wants to be with the cows! Guess he thinks because he is black and white that he is a Holstein too!
Please share some of your animal stories with all of us. I believe that the animals are great soothers and healers of whatever is ailing us.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:01 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi marielle,
welcome, welcome. i have 4 cats who keep me hopping. one day they will learn how to open a door and then what will i do for exercise?
i too draw my strenght from the many creatures we share this planet with. deer, hawk, dove, jackrabbit, bald eagle, skunk, and bats that circle me at night.
maybe your pony is facinated with the pregnancy of your cows. all creatures who carry life within glow.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 09-06-2005, 01:01 PM   #9
(female)

bilij HB User

Hello Marielle, I enjoyed reading about your animals. I too was raised
on a farm but it was a small farm in the south during the depression years.
I loved our animals and as a child could not understand why anything had
to be killed for food. Most of my life I've been a vegetarian and do not take
lighty the life of animals we use for food. I can close my eyes and see the
array of animals you write about. I think Apache is like so many of us, the
''grass'' looks greener on the other side of the fence. Please keep telling us
about your animals because many of us have fond memories of cows, horses
and goats and all the things that make up farm life. May God bless you and
your animals.
Bilij

Old 09-06-2005, 01:16 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya Marielle,

I so enjoyed your story of the wonderful animals you have. What a life to live, I imagine it is hard work but superb. I visit a farm nearby where I live and I get to see the animals there. I have been able to see first hand all of the little newly born animals, and also see the large shire horses, the wonderful cows and all of the larger animals. I have had a piglet on my knee, and had my trouser bottoms nibbled by a baby goat. The lambs have pushed their heads through the pens hoping that I had some milk to feed them with. This is something that is wonderful for me, I find the experience so joyful. You are so lucky.

I live on an island and so get to see a lot of the wildlife here, the rabbits and foxes, badgers and so on. I visit our local ponds and feed the ducks, I do so love all animals that live here in my part of the world. We have only red squirrels on my island which are quite elusive but I have spotted a few.

I have my own little pet, a blue budgie that is such wonderful company for me. The bonds formed with animals of any sort is wonderful I believe. They comfort us and relax and calm us. They don't ask for much, but always give everything they have to us.

Take care.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 09-06-2005 at 01:19 PM.

Old 09-06-2005, 09:49 PM   #11

Marielle HB User

Your words have really inspired me as I go about my daily activities. I now breathe in all the wonderful scents the countryside has to offer as my eyes dart around eager to take in every detail of the landscape I so often take for granted. Bo, our German Shepherd jumps on the Gator with me and we buzz up the road to one of our cornfields. Going down the lane with freshly chopped cornstalks on either side of us, I had to chuckle at the fluttering of a dragonfly floating along ahead of us as if we were in a race of some sort. We soon reach our destination and Bo patiently awaits for me to inspect an overgrown dead tree branch sprawled along the fence line. My husband had told me where to look and sure enough, there they were, huge, purplish clumps of wild grapes draping across the smooth bark of the fallen tree. Along the row of trees were splashes of bright red and orange leaves a sure reminder of the beauty waiting to explode into a fiery autumn. As I gather up the clusters of grapes, I thought about how wonderful the jelly was going to taste this winter. What an unexpected blessing right here on our farm! As I pile the buckets onto the Gator, Bo eagerly jumps on in anticipation of returning home. The cool breeze soothes the sweaty skin and all that fibro stuff will just have to take a back seat for now. Baby steps, pick the grapes today, cook them tomorrow, make jelly the next day, yep, baby steps. It doesn't all have to get done in a day. Gonna head for the kitchen. Close your eyes now, the kettle is full, it's steaming, and oh, don't forget to smell . . .

Old 09-07-2005, 07:29 AM   #12
(female)

bilij HB User

Goodmorning Marielle, you have started my day with warm memories of
wild grapes hanging in clusters. I can smell the aroma of jelly cooking as
it steams the windows. Somehow it makes the pain less as I drift to
another time, another place. Your post was like the page out of a book
and I'd like to read the whole thing.
Marielle, where do you live? I live in northern Alabama and there is surely
a touch of autumn in the air. Please write us more, you have a gift with
words. God bless you with a wonderful day.
Bilij

Closed Thread