It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2005, 09:42 PM   #1
(female)

movin slo HB User
Question RA & Fibro Both ??

Ok friends.
I went to my gp this morning. My right shoulder has frozen lucky me . Then I'm informed that I have RA and servere Fibro. Can you have both at the same time? I know that sounds stupid. But Geeze, having the fibro. is bad enough,with diabetes,cf,sleep apnea,restless legs,depression, and a handful of pills 4 x a day.
I'm starting a fight with gov. I need a scooter, I use a cane right now because of balance, and being unsteady.
But this new dx of RA has me going. Naturally I go poked on, and now paying dearly for it. But it had to be done. Now I'm being sent to P.T. for the shoulder. Rheumy for fibro. and RA.
It's all so over whelming. I have a really have a hard time with a new add on dx. I really need some hope. For my sanity.

Old 09-09-2005, 07:01 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: RA & Fibro Both ??

morning my slo movin friend,
yes you sure can have them both. me too. it's not so bad once you get the hang of who is hurting today so you can do what you can to care for yourself. get in physical therapy. it is the best medicine you can give your body.
my doc says ra hits in cycles just like fibro. i agree. my body does that exact thing. mostly my right hip, knee, shoulder and both hands. due to the strokes i had last october my left side is not strong enough yet. i am working on that in p.t. in the pool where falling is fun.
you can get a whole lot of things going on inside your body and still be here. we may be in a bucket of pain, however we are gifted with a long life and that is a very special gift.
tie a knot in your rope, make a swing, and soar to new heights. we all find a way to get the most out of life no matter what. you will too. besides you have all of us here to love and support you. knowing you are not alone is powerful medicine.
love and peace,
bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2005, 08:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Movinslo, yes you can have all these at once but the good news is your frozen shoulder will get better. Have you ever had one? If not I will tell you sometimes it has to hurt a lot to get better, but suddenly it does. My left shoulder was frozen about a year ago, waited to go to docs until I couldn't move it at all. I had a wonderful pt and she helped to get me, or actually my shoulder, movin again. So hang in there we know what you are going through and we are here for you.

Old 09-09-2005, 11:00 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

pixiepoodle HB User

Fibro is usually a secondary illness brought on by a primary illness, such as RA, Lupus, low thyroid. My Fibro started about a year after I developed low thyroid. I'm sure there are other reasons people get Fibro, but when I have gone to support meetings, most of the people there had either RA or Lupus.

Old 09-09-2005, 05:34 PM   #5
(female)

movin slo HB User

Thanks Glojer,Blue,& Pixie,
I know that I can learn to deal with it. It is just such a whammy! I went to PT today had a really nice therapist.He explained what a frozen shoulder was and that it will hurt like****** But he thinks he can get it to 50 %. He is also very up on fibro and thinks he can help me with that also. I was there an hour today. The shoulder does feel a little better. I have to go 3 x's a week. The 21 I go to a Rhuemy hope he is as good or Better than PT guy. So we will see. John (PT) is also working on my neck the right side. Since I got hurt in 90. I have carried my head tilted to the right shoulder that go hurt. One of my problems is I over due, I don't like to quit in the middle of stuff so I push myself until it is done. John said and he is going to put me on a strick schueld(sp) As bad as I was hurting I would jump off a cliff if someone told me it would help LOL.
Thanks for being here for me. I'm also in one of my bawling fits. So thanks again all of you

Old 09-09-2005, 05:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Movin I am glad John (pt?) told you how bad it is going to hurt, at least it won't be a surprise. I didn't have the heart to tell you, but believe me if yours is like mine was, pain that makes the tears come! Not that you want to just bawl but you can't help from tearing up it hurts so much. When you think about it though they are ripping the adhesions apart from inside your shoulder. We suffer the pain of fibro every day so I think we can take it. People without fibro don't know how much pain we discard every day just to do as much normal activity as we can. So good luck movin I will be thinking of you. Sounds like John can take care of you.

Glojer

Old 09-12-2005, 07:05 AM   #7
(female)

movin slo HB User
Red face Re: RA & Fibro Both ??

Glojer,
Ok here goes. My right shoulder is frozen at 30%. John is hopeing that he can get it back to maybe 80%. John is a gem. allthe while he was putting me in horrible pain, with the other hand was handing me kleenex. I have to go 3x's a week. Yuck. He says we have a lot of work to do. He says I'm way too good at ingoreing my pains until they make me take notice. Well gee wiz I could set here and do nothing but ***** about all the pains. I have tried, and It did not work. So I just block as much as I can and go do dishes,or laundry. Until it's done.
Thanks for your understanding and help I really do appreicate it.
Pain doesn't really discribe what you get from unfreezing your shoulder

Old 09-12-2005, 07:49 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi movin slo,
glad you are getting help. good help. i used to cry thru the whole p.t. process. now i just drip a bit. getting back what you lose by compensating for pain is so important. i go again tomorrow for swim therapy. it is the friday visits that leave me weeping with joy, ha!
hi ya glojer, how are you?
peace to you both,
bluelakelady

Old 09-12-2005, 09:11 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Movin

I'm sorry to laugh, but you did make me chuckle with your post. John handing you kleenex with one hand, believe me I know!!! Frozen shoulders are the worst! But just remember when it finally gets unfrozen keep it moving with exercise and all the things they suggest cause it will try to freeze up again. Of course you will catch it much sooner cause you will know what it feels like and you can start doing exercises right away. I was like you, I only had like 10 and 20 and 30% range until after all the pain. I had MRI and was sent to orthopedic doc and everything cause it just wouldn't move. Had the cortosone injections where they put the needle down in the joint and put the med in there, it took about a week but boy that shot helped. Also had 800mg ibuprophen I took 3 times a day for several weeks. It got me through the worst part. I really think our problem is we learn to ignore so much pain because if we didn't we would never do anything, but there is always John and his kleenex!! Take Care Movin and keep us posted,

Hi ya Blue!

I have been reading about your fruit trees on the other post, sounds like you are lovin the new home. I am so happy for you and your brother. We have been 'piddleing' along here. Had our 3yr old grandson spend the night Sat.. That was so much fun, but put me out of commission all day Sun. I have been trying to get a handle on my fibro lately. Can't really say if it is fibro or lupus for me. I go along good for a while then all of a sudden it takes me down a few steps, but that's the way it goes. I think it is just a combination of both fibro and lupus. I let it be what it is and just go with the flow. Have a lady coming to start housecleaning for me this week, sure hope it works out. Do you still have your lady (Shaloma?) coming to help you? I know you have some great aversion to cleaning toilets so surely you have someone helping....he he! Keep the faith Blue!

Peace and pain free days to us all

Glojer

Old 09-12-2005, 12:56 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

hi glojer,
yes i still have shaloma, only now it is once a month. i am getting the hang of housework again. it puts me in bed the next day. at least that yuckie barf toilet is clean. i did the bathtub saturday. and i thought i knew what pain was! i sure hope the tub can go a month between cleanings. that one is just asking too much of this girl. maybe, tee hee, i will teach brother, giggle, giggle. he has no spare time to speak of now with all the work to be done outside and making new window sills to go in our new windows.
as for that nasty toilet i seriously doubt i could go a month without it being cleaned, so i must bite that nasty little bullet and just do it!
how's that handsom man of yours doing? give him a hug from blue. have you got time to do some physical therapy right now? it really does help. i forgot if you are or not right now.
time to go wash my new pants and see if they still fit me after they come out of the dryer. cross your fingers!
peace,
bluelakelady
ate a peach and a nectarine for lunch. i think maybe a tomato now. and then a nap. shopping is work! remember the saying shop till you drop? i dropped about one third of the way thru. i gave all my winter pants away without buying more. the weather just started turning and i, i am freezing! giggle, three hugs to you!

Old 09-12-2005, 06:51 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blue you are so right about that cleaning. We can't go a month here, our daughters dog is here with us (along with our daughter) and the dog hair just won't wait that long. If I clean then I am no good for anything else, so I had to make a choice hire someone or fight the fibro to clean. My sweet hubby says we can pay a cleaning lady on what he saves on cigarettes, not one cig since June 23rd. The family is very proud of him!! Of course we would have gotten the cleaning lady anyway but I like his attitude.

If our daughter didn't work so many hours and have to travel I would put her to work, but I can't wait till she gets around to it. She keeps her rooms and bath clean and that's good enough for me. I have taken to using the easy things they advertise on tv for cleaning the toilets and shower stall, that has been a help but will see how nice it is to have someone else do it.

I will give my hubby your regards, thanks for thinking of him. Another reason I want to save my energy, he has all those extra doc appts. and xrays and such to keep a check on things. And now that the weather is going to be cooling off we want to start our walks in the park again. We have a park close with a lake and they have paved trails for biking and walking and rollerblading you name it. They have put the trail all the way around the lake I understand now. It is so nice, there are many ways you can go and they have a place to bird watch and sometime the deer come across your path. It will be beautiful this fall. We don't walk fast, at least not at first, but a walk is some form of exercise no matter how fast you walk.

I know what you mean about dropping when you shop! My daughter can outshop anyone except maybe my brother. They have that special shopping gene that some people are born with. I can barely make it through the grocery store when I have to. Clothes shopping is done mostly from catalogs for me. The only person I get a thrill out of shopping for is our grandson, he is such a delight for us. He spent Sat. night with us while his Mom and Dad went to a party. We had such a great time, we went for burgers and fries and shakes and then came home and watched cartoons while proped up on the sofa bed. I am so thankful that the Lord gave me the strength to make it that night cause I have been having some pretty rough fibro/lupus days since last Thurs. But Sat. was a pretty good day and I thought I was maybe going to be a little better, but I am sure my night with not the best sleep (I kept waking to check on my grandson) put me right back down there. No matter I will make it, just taking it one day at a time.

Take care blue and enjoy those beautiful fruit trees!

Old 09-13-2005, 06:48 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

hi glojer,
tell hubby i am so proud of him. to use his extra pennies doing a good thing for you and himself is beyond kindness. standing ovation to hubby!!!!
i am off to physical therapy this morning. swim day, ahhhh! i can feel all that warm water enveloping me as i write. i did a bit of exercise yesterday picking peaches. i will take a bag to the therapy office along with a few tomatoes i "stole" from my old garden over the weekend. actually i traded a jar of my marinara sauce made from some of those fresh tomatoes i "stole" a week ago.
i have decided, as has brother, to adopt the "kids" who bought our old house. they painted, put down new carpeting, and what a difference. just what the old house needed. i love going there. it is fun to see what has changed. it is like visiting an old friend, who had a face lift! i never miss a place i have lived in. i carry my happy moments and release myself from the physical aspect of my old home. i am so happy for my old home. she sings with new life.
how are you holding up with all that hubby is dealing with? have you found your calm space within? that place that cannot be disrupted no matter what happens? that sanctuary within? i meditate daily for you and send lovely green plants and all manner of flowering trees to your sanctuary. i send cool breezes when you are hot, warm breezes when you are cold. i send toasty rays of sunshine and a carpet of purple flowers for you and hubby to take your walks on. tell hubby exercise, diet and attitude are everything in restoring the balance within when cancer is an aspect of the body.
peace and love,
bluelakelady

Old 09-13-2005, 02:56 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks so much blue, I accept all that you send and I love purple flowers. Your pt sounds great. I do not do pt unless it is for a specific problem. I don't swim or go near water so although it sounds wonderful, I think I'll pass on that. We have not seen our old house since we left it (11yrs. ago) that is on the inside. It's funny, but we have been so busy since then I haven't thought about it.

I had to learn a long time ago to find my quiet place within and without. I'm one of those "get a little high strung" types. You know got to get it perfect and get it done at all cost. So I learned to RELAX and not let the everyday stuff chew me up. I finally figured that out one step ahead of a duodenal ulcer, I like my peaceful calm place so much better!

Glojer

Old 09-14-2005, 02:23 PM   #14
(female)

movin slo HB User
Angry Re: RA & Fibro Both ??

Hello Friends,
Well I've been to pt. 3x's this week. Yes it is helping my shoulder. John and I had a discussion today about what excersices I am willing to do and not do. Some STRONG diagreements. He is a stout believer that our mines make the pain and we are just to weak to handle it. WELL Now. I asked him how long he has had fibro. He hasn't . But has helped many, many people with fibro,worse than mine.I asked him how he knew that? Well I guess he has a magic 8 ball that tells him this stuff. Don't get me wrong. He is a nice guy. But just kinda fat-headed lol. He just knows he can get me hop,skipping and jumping and not walking so slow! Cause HE HAS THE POWER! He says that I walk stooped,rounded shoulders,walk in a shuffleing manor and I look older than "I say Iam"! I thanked him for the behind the scenes look .Told him the stooped slow walk is due to pain,round shoulders is from raiseing kids and ALWAYS being wrong. The gray hair, is from all the above,plus being the peace-maker of the family for 30 years. I've had is gray hair since I was 20. I have a sister 5 years older than me and not 1/4 as gray as I am. I have a brother 5 years younger and not 1/2 as gray as I am. So.... I have work hard for everyone of these gray hairs and in another 10 years I want the story of his gray hair!!
It just really chaps my butt when someone trys to tell me what I am going to do and that I'm going to like doing it. Because they say so .HUMUF! I'm only 54,but I can still put a twist in his nickers when I get mad. Sorry to vent all this on you guys but my butt was chapped.

Old 09-15-2005, 07:48 AM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

no doubt your butt was chapped! shame on him. you tell him for me his job is to motivate without harm. when i stop an exercise my therapists both know that i know my body and it's abilities that day. i push myself harder than they do.
you also tell him for me that empathy is an aspect of therapy. while it is his job to push you a bit, he must also listen when you say, enough. there is a fine line of balance and it appears he may not have found it yet.
peace keeper of the family. perhaps it is time to retire from that job? i see what it has done to my sister and it breaks my heart. it is who she chooses to be. her right. she has spent her life jumping thru other peoples hoops. she is good and kind and strong. me, i am good, kind, strong and outspoken. see the difference?
by the way i just had to laugh reading your post. i could see it all in my mind, especially that look you gave him! rip his little nickers girlfriend. attitude, exercise, diet, water and more attitude!
peace,
bluelakelady

Closed Thread