It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2005, 12:41 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User
Question New Here

Hi everyone!

I was told several years back that I have Fibro. I told the Dr that I doubted his diagnosis due to the fact that yes I hurt off and on, but I'm able to function quite normally. He said that there are "mild" cases. Has anyone ever heard of this? My symptoms are achiness in the hips, collar bone, one of my elbows (if I go to rest it on a table I get a severe pain and cannot rest it anywhere) and I'm NEVER well rested when I wake up. I'm asking this now because I've been having a throbbing pain behind my right knee....sometimes feels like a tight muscle. My Dr. that diagnosed me up and moved away to California!

Thanks

Last edited by Hope4All; 09-13-2005 at 12:43 PM.

Old 09-13-2005, 02:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Re: New Here

Yes there are definately milder and worse cases. And even though docs say fibro isn't progressive, you can have worse symptoms as time goes on.

Don't you just hate when the docs move on you! My doc of 15yrs. that diagnosed me did the same thing. He stayed in my city just left for a practice that does not accept insurance, that kind of takes a lot of people out of the game.

By the way Hope welcome to the board.

Glojer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2005, 03:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Glojer,

He was the first Dr. that I went to and he diagnosed me right away with Fibro. Although he did state he wouldn't officially diagnose me as having that until all my blood work came back. All the labs were fine so that is my diagnosis. I haven't been back for my fibro in 4yrs. Unfortunately I have an ongoing GAD (general anxiety disorder). When that gets bad it seems that I have many more pains all over my body.

I just wish he didn't move, the Dr's office in which he practices is older and he is booked months in advance!!! I have no idea where to look for a new one, none ever seem to care or take the time with any of us.

Thanks again

Old 09-13-2005, 05:13 PM   #4
(female)

April414 HB User

mine seem s to almost come and go too. my dr. also did blood work before saying for sure I have fibro. Have a friend whose mom has mild fibro. She still works and can't quite get why her daughter who has chronic fatigue with chronic pain hurts too bad to do anything. My elbow does that too, kinda. pain found it's way to my hand and fingers. arthritis dr. said tennis elbow. got a shot in elbow, painful let me tell you, but much better now, shot was on Wed. the 7th

Old 09-14-2005, 06:55 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

welcome new friend,
get your phone book out and start searching. if you had a plugged drain you would get the phone book out and call someone, right? same with doctors. when you speak to the receptionist ask specific questions about the doctor. does she/he have other patients with fibro? i like to listen to the sound of the receptionists voice when i ask her/him if she/he likes working for this doctor.
the girls at my docs office love her to pieces and you can hear it in their voices. the respect, love and high regard come thru.
i went thru 17 doctors before i fould laura. i chose not to settle for less than i felt my body required. it was worth it. i have a good doctor who listens, refers, tests, and gives the best hugs.
by the way, i live in california. who would have thought we needed another doctor here? guess yours did. tho i don't know where you live, i do know how lovely california is and must say i cannot blame your doc for coming here. i have lived here for 50 years. i was born here. i live in northern california but lived all over the state when i was younger.
i have two friends with fmd who work full time in very high responsibility jobs and 1 supervises up to 20 people. me? i have the big kind that pretty much takes the word normal out of my life. it's cool tho. i have found other ways to fulfill myself and see the joy of my life.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 09-14-2005, 09:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Welcome April!

It is sometimes hard to find a doc who wants to treat or diagnose fibro. I just made an appt. with a new rhuemie (by the way rhuematologist are good docs to see for fibro) and I ask the receptionist if she (the doc) treated a lot of fibro patients. The receptionist said she is not accepting any new patients to diagnose fibro. I guess I was lucky that is not what I wanted to see her for. My gp inherited me with my fibro and I like her enough so I stick with her.

It is a shame that some people with fibro can't understand how severe it can be for others. I know I don't have some of the pain that others have in the same places they have, but I feel for them. I have such a problem with fatigue, it is overwheming to me, and I know others can go and do things. They have the pain but not so much fatigue and I have the fatigue but maybe not the pain they would have. It is all relative when you think about it we all suffer. We just can't give up and not try and keep going. Ask around to your friends and neighbors for a recommendation of a good gp or maybe a rhuematologist. I called the physician referral of the hospital I wanted to use (actually the medical offices) they are close to my home and it is a good hospital. Tell them you want a doc that will treat fibro and they will check it out on the computer and give you names. Good Luck, keep us posted.

Glojer

Last edited by Glojer; 09-14-2005 at 09:42 AM.

Old 09-14-2005, 10:51 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi April!

I live in Pennsylvania, with seasons changing I can feel more pain now a days. I do want a Dr that knows and treats patients with Fibro...BUT when I go in with something new I don't want them to just blame the Fibro without making sure it isn't something unrelated. I'm going to research Dr's in my area that know and have treated Fibro and know's its real and not just think its an imaginary disease. I haven't really looked and it's been 4yrs, and I don't know what to expect. My last Dr that diagnosed me with fibro just said it's something you have and there is nothing we can do for it....and walked out. Never offered medicine, vitamins, or changing my lifestyle.

Thanks to all of you for allowing me to vent

Hope

Old 09-14-2005, 11:17 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

dearest hope,
here comes another lecture, giggle.
fear is not your friend. being afraid of what you will experience is a waste of your precious energy. you may have to go thru a few to find the right one for you. any doctor that assumes an air that causes you stress has to be told what they are doing and to stop. you pay their bills, kiddo, not the other way around. you have the right to fire a doctor. you have the right to be heard in a patient manner.
now you tell that fear to take a flying leap. it will only slow you down, drag you down.
it get's really, really cold where you live. ouch! get ready to add a layer of clothing to what you used to wear in winter. it helps. we only get down in the 20's in winter. no wonder your doc came here, creep!
when you try your new doctor out be sure to take a list of your symptoms already written out. reason i say this is that old fear game we play with any new doctor. with a list you will not show your fear, and perhaps not even feel it. wouldn't that be cool?
good luck little sister. you vent all you want here. that is what we are here for. to listen and share. we take turns holding each other up. it is your turn to be held.
lecture over, giggle.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 09-14-2005, 04:30 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

Hi hope, I also live in Pa.and am flaring from the season change, big time. Those beautiful days and than back to humidity and now it is pouring here. I am in north east, Pa.

Hi April,
My dil was dxed with mild FM about 7 years ago, she has pain in the neck and shoulder. She recently told me her pain is becoming more severe and the flairs are lasting longer. Other short term symtons are cropping up.

I have fM for 21 years and I would say the last ten have been getting woorse and worse, new pain sites, new symtons and longer flares.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Last edited by pa235; 09-14-2005 at 04:32 PM.

Old 09-14-2005, 05:20 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluelakelady you are so sweet!! You remind me of my sister she also lives in California, in Santa Barbara!! Must be something sweet in your water!!!

Linda, I live in Western Pa and it is the same way out here.....starts to cool down then WHAM heat and humidity. We are going thru the heat now and back down into the 70's starting Saturday. Winter is the pits just the thought of the dark cold dreary days gets me down, and being stuck in the house because you don't want to have that bone chilling wind on ya.

Hope

Old 09-15-2005, 07:09 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

hi hope,
it is the water! and the sun, and the ocean. it is the warm breezes and long valleys filled with the growing of food. santa barbara is still a favorite of mine. it really is pretty there. long sandy beaches, rolling hills, and some amazing homes. have you been out to see your sis here?
i live about 9 hours north of your sis in lake county. i am in the costal mountain range, just at the base of the mountains that surround a rather large lake with a volcano on the other side. mt. conocti. we get a taste of snow most winters. just enough to delight in without being hampered by it.
we are going from the 40's at night to the high 80's during the day. we are expecting to hit 90 this sunday. yipee! i will miss the sun and her healing power this winter. i think i will go to the little lake i used to live on this sunday for one last day of kayaking. bye bye summer. thank you for all the tomatoes, peaches, nectarines, and plums. thank you for the long, lazy days of swimming.
hello autumn. what color will you be this year?
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 09-15-2005, 10:34 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi bluelakelady........I did visit Santa Barbara in 1986 for 3 weeks, was my graduation present to visit my sister. I LOVED it there, has zero humidity and to me that is wonderful since high humidity like in pa makes me sick as a dog!
I did love the scenery and weather, the change from Pa to California though was taking me waaaay out of my element. I guess I'm more of a country bumpkin, stick me in a cabin in the woods with a truck and I'd be a happy little girl!!

Your place sounds so peaceful and relaxing!!! Your a Lucky Lady!!

Hope

Closed Thread