It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 10:51 AM   #1
(female)

gopackgo HB User
lab tests

I was just wondering what lab tests your doctors did before diagnosing you with fibromyalgia? My doctor just had me do a C-Reactive Protein test the day and it came back normal. He doesn't think I have fibro, but all my symptoms lean towards fibro. What labs should I request or should I ask to be referred to a rheumatologist? I am in so much pain.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:42 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: lab tests

hi go go,
there is no blood test for fibromyalgia. get referred to a rheumy. that doc will run a bunch of tests to rule out anything else, like lupus, thyroid, arthritis, and a host of other stuff. the diagnosis of fibromyalgia is a process of elimination. for now, fibro is diagnosed by symptomology and reaction to what are called trigger points. they push in these little spots on your body and it feels like a truck hit you. the doctor has to know exactly where to press. if they miss you will not feel that truck and the doctor may miss diagnosing you correctly.
get that referral and ask your doc for some physical therapy, aquatic if it is available near you, and massage, and exercise to strengthen your body. we assume a very unhealthy posture when we are in pain. p.t. will help your body and you to remember how best to carry yourself. and there is nothing like a heated pool or a nice hot therapy tub to chase the pain away.
in the meantime what you can do for pain is go sit out in the sun. in 5 to 10 minutes you will notice you don't hurt as much. bless the sun. don't know why it works, just know it does.
peace,
bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2005, 12:58 PM   #3
(female)

DecLady HB User

BlueLake is right...they do tests to eliminate things with similar symptoms. Like rheumatiod arthritus, lymes disease, and thryroid problems. That was what my doctor checked for before the official diagnosis was made. Even though he agreed with me that likely fibro was what he would call it in the end. C reactive protein testing is done to check markers for heart risks, so I am wondering why he thought that test was necessary. Although it is a good one to have done..and it is cheap to run!
You may have a doctor that doesn't "believe" in fibro. If you think that is the case, go and see someone else. You CAN call the office and pre-interview to see if the doc cares for FMS patients too. You can often tell if it is a sympathetic place to be. A rheumatologist is a good choice, but make sure it is covered by insurance. My doc had me see one after about a year to make sure we were on the right track, and it was a $400 visit!

Old 09-14-2005, 01:18 PM   #4
(female)

gopackgo HB User

Thank you so much for responding! I am at my wit's end! I don't want to bother my doctor with my aches and pains, but I guess that is what he gets paid for, huh? Do you think he will be offended if I ask to be sent to a rheumy? One of his relatives has fibro so he does believe in it, thank goodness. I am not sure what lupus is though. Since my doc is out of town until Friday, his nurse called me and said to start taking some multivitamins and also asked if I had my hormone levels checked recently (I had a total hysterectomy done in August 2004) and if not, maybe I should get those levels checked too. She told me to call back on Friday. I have had a lot of problems lately with fatigue too and my doctor has taken me off of caffeine (day six w/o caffeine) to see if that helps with the fatigue. He also said to cut back on the length of my exercising and the intensity of it. Gosh, I wish there were one simple test! Thanks for your help!

Old 09-15-2005, 07:19 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

girlfriend, your doctors feelings are not the primary issue here. you are. he will not be offended if you ask to be referred. he will still be your doc. i have no doubt he will think it is a grand idea. with him having a relative with fm i am even more sure you have got to speak up.
are you on hormone replacement? if you had a total you should be. i take estrace. it is made from yams. the others are made from pregnant mare urine. ain't it great not to have a period!!! it has been 21 years since i had one! such freedom!
only you can represent your body and her needs. you use that lovely mouth of yours.
peace,
bluelakelady

Closed Thread