It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 01:52 PM   #1
(female)

mkmb75 HB User
Question Haven't been around in a while... also SSDI and FM??

I have "treatment resistant" FM, on the Duragesic patch and T4 for pain, lots of other meds, mostly the normal FM protocol, according to my doctor. I have had a HELL OF A TIME getting my Duragesic from our drug provider, CareMark. NOTHING but problems with them. The first order they got right, this last one, because the doctor sent it from his office and did not mark DAW because he thought I had told CareMark NO GENERIC (which I had!!!!), they sent Sandoz. I have called Janssen and ordered the Bioclusive patches to use with the generic, and next time, you better believe DAW WILL BE on the rx.

I was wondering if anyone else had trouble obtaining controlled substances such as Duragesic from CareMark. I am in GA, my scripts go to TX. I do get a 3 month supply at one time which is nice, but they won't take back the generic as they say, "We filled it correctly. Your doctor did not specify DAW," even though I DID specify NO GENERICS in the 5 to 6 WEEKLY phone calls to them to find out where the hell my meds were. Because of them, I was without my Duragesic for close to 4 weeks, then I got this generic. I have heard going from name-brand to Sandoz may cause nausea and headaches, just what I need! Anyone had this experience???

I think CareMark is a joke. I was just wondering if anyone else had trouble with them and any advice on how to deal with them.

We did move in June, and I took my time getting the house in order (we are unpacked but not completly organized!). I pulled a muscle in my lower back soon after we moved and was in the bed for 3 weeks, literally crawling to the bathroom because it hurt too bad to walk. My doctor would not increase my meds even though they were not working due to the pulled muscle. There are NO Pain Management Clinics or doctors outside of Atlanta, a 3 hour drive. So I am stuck with a Family Practitioner who knows little of FM, and even less of pain management.

I also tried Cymbalta, and found it had neurologic side-effects (eye and sight problems, mostly, and headaches with nightmares) so I dx'ed it. I stick with my Wellbutrin now.

Glad to be back. If there's anything new I missed in the world of treating FM while I was away, please fill me in.

Also, I read on a Social Security website that SSDI has "no classification for fibromyalgia" when it was submitted as the only reason for disability. CAN you GET SSDI for FM? Do I need a lawyer? Anyone had any luck on their own?

Thanks in advance for replies ...

mkmb75, aka MK

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2005, 08:03 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Haven't been around in a while... also SSDI and FM??

hi mk,
getting social security for just fm is hard. may i suggest creating a history with a good shrink. it is the emotional aspect of fm that will get you the ss.
i do not take controlled drugs for fm or ra. with what you are going thru i am glad my meds (all 15 of them!) are "lightweight" drugs. i also do not have knowledge of your medical plan. glad i don't have it. is there a rheumatologist in your area? if so ask for a referral from your md.
also, a good shrink can help you with pain management. my shrink is a peach.
welcome back!
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 09-15-2005, 12:07 PM   #3
(female)

countrygal HB User

What does DAW mean? I have recently changed ins. co. and i have Caremark. But the only transactions i have had is at the pharmacy. I recieved a letter from them wanting me to use the mail order. I have not talked to them about how it all works but have been considering it. The way i read the letter is it will be cheaper to do the 3 month mail order. But i dont think they can fill my pain meds for a 3 month supply but i think i need to find out. I sure hope i dont have problems with them. If it is cheaper and i can get all my meds mailed to my house that would be nice. I wouldnt miss the pharmacies at all. LOL

Old 09-15-2005, 01:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Hi countrygal,

I don't have caremark but I believe DAW means dispense as written, which means do not use a generic. At the bottom of most prescriptions is a little box or just a line for a signature to tell the pharmacy if the doc wants or will allow for the generic of the drug he writes in the script. Generics are generally less expensive but some work differently for individuals. Some insurance co.s prefer you use the generic because it is less expensive and will not pay as much of the 'real thing' as they will the generic. For instance my husband takes a drug that in the generic comes in capsule form and he can't take that drug in the capsule (causes throat problems) but to get a tablet he has to get the original drug so therefore our previous drug insurance co would only pay 80% of the cost whereas if it were a generic they would pay 90%. I hope I helped, cause it is such a maize sometimes to get through the insurance rules and regs.

We still like our little pharmacy, and we still have good insurance but I have friends who said they have been almost forced to order through the mail it is such a savings.

Glojer

Closed Thread