It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2005, 05:42 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User
Tight band around ribs?

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday all day I had this tight band feeling in under my breasts both sides, it hurt to take a deep breathe.was at the base of my sterum also and felt like my stomach was trying to push up into my throat. I have not had this for a long time, everything comes back to haunt us.

Anyone else get this? Is this FM. IBS or costro or should I take my pick. Just curious to see if anyone else gets it and what they think the cause is since so many of us have all three things or at least two.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 09-16-2005, 07:18 AM   #2
(female)

Mikiboots HB User
Re: Tight band around ribs?

Hi,

I frequently get tightness around my ribs with tenderness on the sides. I hate wearing bras because it hurts me right where the bra strap hits. My sons hurt in the exact same spots so I know it isn't the bra. Massage is the only thing I have found to help that, along with stretching. I also have asthma so when I have the "rubberband" along with my other chest tightness, breathing becomes a bit of a challenge.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2005, 07:51 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

welcome miki! i hope you find good friends here. i have.
peace,
bluelakelady
ps. i tossed out my bras years ago. giggle.

Old 09-16-2005, 07:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Miki,

Thanks for the reply and welcome to the board? Do you have fm also? If so hang out with us, we need all the support and help we can get.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis

Old 09-16-2005, 08:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Welcome Mikiboots, this is a great place to hang out we are such good friends here.

Old 09-16-2005, 09:49 AM   #6
(female)

smackliet HB User

I also get that feeling. The stomache being pushed up or a lump feeling in my asophagus with pain almost like a spasm. I have no idea what it is but it can last from 5 minutes to several days. I don't think it has anything to do with acid reflux but it does seem to corrilate with my IBS with D. The feeling can get scary when it comes with intence pain, I have noticed it happens more if i drink alot of pop.

Old 09-17-2005, 11:28 AM   #7
(female)

Mikiboots HB User

Hi,

Yes, I've been diagnosed with Fibro since 1996, but figure I've had it most of my life, really. I just cope with it, usually. I've tried amitriptyline and cyclobenzaprine and find that both work marginally with morning side affects I'd rather not deal with. I have to drive first thing and can't afford to be groggy.

Benadryl works fine usually to get me to sleep, and some days are better than others. I use naproxin sodium OTC for my pain, but not every day. Some days, the pain just won't go away, but I just deal.

My sons, thankfully, will massage my back and shoulders which helps. I also have learned that certain positions for reaching, sitting, etc. work while others do not. I guard my sleep with all care, as that is my first line of defense against this disease.

Fortunately, I do not suffer from depression and "just keep swimming" as Dory, the fish in "Finding Nemo" says. A positive attitude really works for me. Afterall, what is the alternative?

I have a secondary condition, asthma, which has nearly cost me my life twice. Been DOA at the ER twice and both times had to have the paddles to bring me back. I have seen the other side and know it awaits when God finally calls me.

I know how precious each day is and feel that whatever today brings, I can bear it. There is no alternative. I am careful to guard my health and will do whatever it takes to be healthy and strong, both physically and spiritually. As winter approaches, I back out of "crowds" in order to remove myself from others' cold and flu germs.

I have learned that for me, sleep is the answer and take care to have enough and the right kind of pillows, lots of cushioning on the bed with plenty of covers. Cold air hurts my muscles. When I stay with my daughter, I sleep on a double air mattress which I can adjust for softness and make sure it is warm enough from underneath. I wear scarves in winter which I can then use to cover my thighs when I sit down. There are so many sneaky ways of taking care of yourself which others don't even notice.

Stress is another thing which affects both my fibro & asthma. My older son, 22 was diagnosed with Type I diabetes over the 4th of July this summer and I have spent the last two months helping get him stable and coping with his disease. Both my fribro & asthma flared a bit as a result of the stress and lack of sleep (we were getting up every two hours at night to test his sugars for six solid weeks this summer) but I had anticipated both and so wasn't surprised and allowed myself naps, warmth & massage & extra puffs on my inhalers to help cope. The pain reliever stopped working so I got completely away from it for awhile. I was very pleased that I didn't need any prednisone to keep my breathing under control!!

Things are improving now and I'm going to school with my two sons to be one's tutor in Spanish, and accompanying the other as a shadow to make sure his diabetes stays in control. I find that I am enjoying being back in school and plan to continue and take classes that interest me.

I feel everyone's pain, but for me, pain is just a way a life and I deal with it. I am trying to avoid the prescription pain relievers. I feel I'm on enough drugs as it is for my asthma, and I refuse to let either disease control my life.

Sorry this is so long!

Old 09-17-2005, 01:07 PM   #8
(female)

Biyak123 HB User

This post is one that I can really relate to...I think. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia during the last 6 months but know now that I have had it for a long time.

For the last couple of months I have had difficulty getting deep breaths. I ended up in ER twice thinking it was my heart but tested out okay.

I feel a pressure discomfort in the sternum area and sort of at the very top of my stomach. This seems to affect my breathing constantly like 24/7. The feeling sort of pushes up from that area and affects my breathing.

There is also discomfort in my upper back by my shoulder blade. When I press the soreness in that area I feel that somehow it is conected with the sternum/ stomach discomfort.( It may just be coincidental).

Can anyone relate to this? (I read about COSTOCHONDRALGIA... does this sound like it?)

BIYA

Last edited by Biyak123; 09-17-2005 at 01:12 PM.

Old 09-17-2005, 01:23 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hiya Biya, wow I made a rhymn.

I have been dxed with costro most of my pain is in the bra strap area,collar bone, breast, shoulder and blade. This tight band may be part of it, I am not sure what is what anymore. Yesterday I did not have it today I do and feels like a snake is crawling around in my stomach, lots of action.

The Dr. told me it was stomach spasms and trapped gas when I was originally dxed with IBS, she said you have to get rid of the spasms before you can get rid of the gas, well seems I am stuck with both.

It is possible that you have costro, I never blame that stomach pushing up costro but the rib pain I sure do.

Myboots it is fine when a post is long, you are letting us know of your challenges and your acheivements. It is nice getting to know you both.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis

Old 09-17-2005, 02:00 PM   #10
(female)

Biyak123 HB User

I did a post regarding this today. Thanks for the response here. Everyone is so able to relate...glad you are all here. BIYA

Old 09-17-2005, 02:36 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello Everyone,

Just a quickie from me. There have been lots of posts just lately regarding costochondritis. If you scroll back on the contents page, you will find them.

Maybe the pushing some of you are feeling is GERD, or even a hiaitus hernia type symptom. I have both of these, and this is the type of sensation it gives me. Just a thought.

Just a little message to say to all of my family here, I am sorry that I haven't been around lately. Things are very difficult at the moment, but I think of you all every day and wish you well.

Take care.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 09-17-2005 at 02:37 PM.

Old 09-17-2005, 02:39 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Goldenwings,

I was missing you. Hope things turn around soon so you can get back to us. You are an important part of this fibro tribe.

Hugs, Linda

Old 09-17-2005, 10:04 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi golden,
hang tough old girl. we will play another day! meantime i will eat your share of the peaches and mine too. wish there was a way to ship a bit of california sunshine to you in the form of sweet, juicy, ripe peaches.
sending you a warm breeze and the energy of wonder woman!
love,
bluelakelady

Old 09-18-2005, 04:20 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya Blue,

I really appreciate your wonderful warm words and thoughts and I can taste the wonderful fruit. Things are mixed up physically for me and I am trying to find answers. I have a lot of lupus problems at the moment and the fibro just keeps on kicking me in the b---. I visit my lupus doctor on Friday so I am going to take my own advice and really get things sorted out with what has been going on with me lately.

My posts are taking me a few hours to do lately, so I am trying my best to stay with things. My voice control typing thingummy has gone on the blink, so it a bit difficult without that too. Wow, this is not like me to gripe, but I will be back and raring to go soon hee hee !!

Take care my super friend.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 09-18-2005 at 04:22 AM.

Old 09-19-2005, 07:58 AM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

hi goldie,
gripe away girlfriend. sometimes we just have to let it all out, you know? today is monday. did you go last friday to the doc or is it this coming friday?
you are wise to listen to your own advise. you give good advise so i know listening to yourself will be a good course of action.
almost all the peaches are ripe and the tree is looking a bit bare. i go out and munch each day. our neighbor came over with a weed eater and chopped down the weeds outside our fence line on the back of the property. what a sweetie! gave him a bag of peaches. his english and my spanish got us by. he did laugh at my spanish. me too!
how fortunate we are to have landed in another neighborhood with such kind folks. i absolutely love my new home.
my daughter jessica came over yesterday. she said the house is so peaceful now. i quite agree with her.
you come here and unload on me anytime you want, kay? that is what friends are for. my shoulders are strong. i will carry you, my friend, for as long as you need.
peace, three hugs and a peach,
bluelakelady

Closed Thread