It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2005, 07:53 AM   #1
(female)

GigiLu HB User
Recently diagnosed in the philly area

Hi. I'm new here. I'm 24 years old and 4 months ago gave birth to the most beautiful baby girl. Three weeks ago, I was doagnosed with FM. I am in so much pain and I don't know what to do. I am suppossed to see a rheumatologist on Tuesday, but I need to get out of pain soon. My family is a big help because we live with my in-laws, but i feel so horrible and inadequate that i cannot lean over to give my daugher a bath. Is anyone on these boards from the Phila******a area that could recommed good doctors who treat fibromyalgia. I am hanging on by threads. Please help.

Old 09-18-2005, 03:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User
Re: Recently diagnosed in the philly area

hi, im from uk. my fm started after having my son, took nearly 2 years to diagnse. im 24 xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2005, 07:43 PM   #3
(female)

GigiLu HB User

How do you manage it? How am I suppossed to manage it. The doctors keep telling me, "I'm sorry, but you do have severe fibromyalgia." But they don't tell me what to do for it.

Old 09-18-2005, 08:06 PM   #4
(female)

uncoordinated HB User

Search for info on "thyroid hormone resistance". If your thyroid blood tests are normal or if you are taking thyroid medicine for hypothyroidism but still have symptoms this may be your answer.

Old 09-18-2005, 09:48 PM   #5
(female)

Mikiboots HB User

I remember those days just after giving birth with lots of generalized pain and my best piece of advice, since you DO have help is to get lots of sleep. I bet your hormones are working overdrive and you are so sensitive to your new baby that you aren't sleeping very well.

Good, deep, long sleep will do wonders. Please rest when the baby does, get lots of fluids (I find drinking hot Tension Tamer teas or anything with chamomile in it helps) and get relaxed with hot baths, massages and warm blankets.

Give over the baby long enough to care for yourself or you won't be any good to either of you.

Hope things improve soon.

Old 09-19-2005, 12:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

Hi and welcone.

I am from the Pocono area of Pa.I have FM and Mps for 21 years and have giving up on drs. i only see my P/c.

I have my thyroid checked yearly and it is all in normal ranges.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 09-19-2005, 04:17 PM   #7
(female)

Lost Robin HB User

Hi GigiLu!

I live in the Valley Forge area, approximately 15-20 miles from Philly. I finally found a WONDERFUL rheumatologist. His main office is in Bryn Mawr. He sees quite a few FM patients and is incredibly compassionate, especially with his FM patients. He spent an HOUR and 15 minutes just talking with me on my first visit! He is not the least bit arrogant and treated me with respect and kindness.

He feels it is HIS duty to help keep his patients as comfortable as possible and to help us in every way HE can to provide us medical support AND even more importantly than all that (in my opinion) is that he treats me with the utmost dignity and respect and makes me feel validated.

He also has no problem giving you what you need to get your symptoms under control.

I feel so very fortunate that I found this doctor. Dial 411 and ask for Dr. Thomas Whalen's phone number in Bryn Mawr. They can then tell you where his other offices are (I go to the one in Exton) and take it from there.

Best of luck to you! Please let us know how you make out, okay?

Love and good health to everyone ... Robin

Old 09-22-2005, 12:50 PM   #8
(female)

Pyramid56 HB User

Hey Lost Robin, I have my 1st doctors appt with Dr Whalen on Monday! What a small world. I hear he is very good and the reason he's so good with his fibro patients is because he himself has Fibro! I'm really excited to meet him. My last rheumy was horrible so looking for a better visit this time!

Old 09-22-2005, 12:52 PM   #9
(female)

Pyramid56 HB User

Again for GigiLu, I believe they have about half a dozen offices around the Philly area.

Closed Thread