It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2005, 07:49 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User
Sleep

Hi everyone!!

My husband tells me that when I sleep at night I can never stay still. I am constantly moving!! He wonders how I ever get any sleep. Does anyone else have this problem???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2005, 08:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Re: Sleep

Hiya Hope,

Welcome to our family. You have chosen the best place to be for care, support and understanding.

I find this happens a lot when I am having problems with restless legs syndrome. Of course this is the lower half of thebody. Is this perhaps what is happening to you? Worth looking into I feel.

If it is an all over body thing then in our subconscious we still try to get comfortable even when we are asleep, so maybe you are lying on very sensitive spots and your body moves you off onto a bit of a less sore area. Again, just another thought.

Take care

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 09-19-2005 at 08:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2005, 09:02 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi hope,
i sleep alone and have for years. i tear up the bed at night. try untucking your bedding at the foot of the bed. rls can affect your entire body. i have it all over, even in my face. i am the fidget queen.
be sure you bring this to the attention of your doctor. perhaps a sleep study may help. i had one.
do you take any meds at night for sleep, muscle relaxation, pain?
peace,
bluelakelady
ps. hi goldie!!!!!

Old 09-19-2005, 09:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

He says its my whole entire body, I also sleep on a waterbed. I seem to have some major body jerks too. Between my 3-6 dreams a night and all this movement I'm surprise I can function during the day...lol

I don't take any medication, even though my sleep is not restoring or restful I sleep almost 10hrs a night!!!!

Hope

Old 09-19-2005, 11:34 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi hope,
have you tried the over the counter sleep aides? when this first started for me they helped. as it progressed i went on prescription meds. i take 50mg of benadryl, 10mg of ambien and 900mg of neurontin each night. it is alot of pills. worth it tho as i am able to function during the day. i went 4 years without sleeping more than 45 minutes. it took a toll on my mind and body. don't let it go. see your doc and discuss it.
how many times during the night do you wake up? how many hours do you sleep between wake ups?
also if you can, get a down filled comforter. they are light and warm. the less weight you have on your body at night the better. tell your hubby to watch out for those kicking legs and swinging arms. have you decked him during the night yet? giggle, and try untucking those covers from the foot of the bed. best advise i got from a doctor.
peace,
bluelakelady
it has been YEARS since i slept on a waterbed. they were fun, giggle, but horrid on my back after my son was born (27 years ago) so i gave it up and went conventional. now i have a pillowtop bed. heaven. what i really would love is a cloud to sleep on!

Old 09-19-2005, 12:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi again ms Blue

I have elbowed hubby in the side of the head and it woke him up!!! He wasn't very happy :giggle:

I wake up only for a few seconds maybe once a night. Hubby thinks sleep meds are the LAST thing I need since I can sleep forever. I just have a hard time getting to sleep. If I sleep 6-8 or 11 hrs it is never enough I wake up sore and sleepy!!

I tried sleeping on a regular bed (thinking it was the waterbed) and it doesn't help. I always wake up feeling like I ran a marathon.

Oh and I have nothing tucked in...lol

Hope

Old 09-19-2005, 12:41 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

you crack me up hope! hubby may be wrong this time. just because you are asleep does not mean you are getting deep restful sleep. even with meds i have mornings where i wake up feeling like i ran all night too.
do you have an appt. soon with your doctor?
tell hubby to be glad he is not my mothers husband. she used to leave bruises on my dad. she would run in her sleep. she also used to laugh in her sleep and wake up the whole house. of course she went on sleeping and dreaming her funny dream.
time to get my chores done.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 09-19-2005, 12:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

_double post_

Last edited by Hope4All; 09-19-2005 at 12:50 PM.

Old 09-19-2005, 12:54 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh Ms Blue........I also crack up laughing in my sleep...lol I think it would be fun to video tape myself!!!! I wanna enjoy me too!

The last time when I elbowed him in the side of the head he said he woke up out of a deep sleep head throbbing and starting yelling at me....he said I had a big smile on my face and was just sleeping away!! lol I guess my subconcious thought he had that coming!!!!!

No, I havent gotten a Dr's appt yet....I'm still searching for one, but I'm going to make one by next Monday.

Hope

Old 09-19-2005, 01:49 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

do you hear me laughing? something tells me you slept thru his yelling. by the way, you do enjoy yourself. you just sleep thru it!
i about fell off my chair thinking of you bonking him in your sleep. now we simply cannot be accountable for what we do in our sleep, right? giggle.
time for me to go sit in the sun and see if mother nature will evaporate the pain away.
may you giggle many times today as well as tonight.
peace,
bluelakelady
ps. i will have to tell my mom about you later today when i call her. she will love it. my new computer is coming today. i am so excited.

Old 09-19-2005, 02:18 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Hi Hope,

I am one of those people who never disturb the covers, wake up in the same spot I went to sleep in. Now having said that, since the fibro thing I do turn over a lot, like golden said I am so sore and get to hurting and have to roll over. Blue and I have some of the same sleep patterns, went for years on no sleep and after the OTC didn't work I now take ambien 10mgs 50mgs benadryl and 6mgs of tizanidine (muscle relaxer). I use to wake up often sometimes 4 - 5 times and hour.

The sleep study may be a good thing, my husband has sleep apnea and he does some very restless things in his sleep. I had a sleep study done, they said they couldn't get any results because I didn't fall asleep. Duh.....I told them that was the problem and I take sleep meds but neither the doc or the sleep technicians seem to get it.

Not sleeping is the worse for me, so keep us posted and I hope you can get this figured out.

Glojer

ps. ok somehow I missed page 2 of this thread. It sure sounds like my hubby and me in bed except for the bonking. I have given him heck for waking me with his talking, laughing, and grabbing things off the nightstand and rattling them while trying to do something (he nor I know what) with them. The worst part is when he does something funny and I get tickled and can't stop laughing. One night.....well lets just say he use to play the trumpet, but his trumpet has been packed away in the basement for years. I was so mad because I couldnt stop laughing and I couldn't go back to sleep. I'm laughing so hard at the memory trying to type this I have tears running down my cheeks. Hey guys funny or not, (laughing uncontrolably as I type) no sleep is hard on the fibro. Ok gotta go can't type and laugh to many corrections.

Last edited by Glojer; 09-19-2005 at 02:33 PM.

Old 09-19-2005, 07:14 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thats so funny Glojer!!! lol It's really nice even with all we go through day to day we have time to laugh. Sleep study??? Do they watch ya?? Oh my I don't think I'd be able to do that..lol

Hey Ms Blue!! Congrats on your grandbaby, I just read the post.....it seems I'm a tad slow to much bouncing!!!

Hope

Old 09-19-2005, 10:08 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

thanks hope. do the sleep study. it is bizarre and fun. they watch you on monitors and you are hooked up to a bunch of wires. it is a trippy experience. they can learn alot if you go to sleep.
the trumpet huh. good visualization.
giggles, peals of giggles!
night y night,
bluelakelady

Old 09-20-2005, 10:11 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Hope the sleep study is not all that bad, they just hook you up to a bunch of wires but you really can sleep. My hubby and daughter in law both had one and both got to sleep. I guess they really wanted me to take my sleep meds, but they didn't say that and I thought that would defeat the purpose. Sleep studies can be good things.

I also wanted to ask if you have had your thyroid checked, that will make you want to sleep all the time. Your tsh should be between 1 and 3, that is where most women feel the best. Don't just ask the doc if it is normal they usually go by the lab ranges which are between .5 and5.5 (approximately). Get a copy of your blood work or ask him to show you or tell you what the tsh is. If that is off then get your free t's done. Sorry not trying to tell you what to do, but have had some experience with that and it is so hard to feel better until the thyroid is good.

Glojer

Old 09-21-2005, 05:30 AM   #15
(male)

brend HB Userbrend HB User

Hi,
I am one of those people who is all over the bed with restlessleg syndrome. Doc did give me sleepers but I do not like to take them. I am afraid that I will get dependent on them. I also find that I am sluggish in the morning, like a hangover after taking them.
Have you tried any herbal sleep aids. Anything with Valerian in it. Worth a try, although I have not found them to help, I do know others swear by them for a restful sleep.
I have enjoyed banter about your hubby and Blue's stories. I guess the word bonking has a different meaning here in Ireland. Say no more.

Brend

Last edited by brend; 09-21-2005 at 05:33 AM.

Closed Thread