It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2005, 12:59 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User
Question for everyone

Hi everyone....I am new to the FM board, usually spend my time on the MS board. I have been dx'd with MS, and secondary FM, but I suspect FM is the culprit that is giving me the most trouble.

My question is whether anyone has a similar experience as what follows and what you do to find relief:

I have all the classic "trigger points" for FM when it flares...but new this past month is what I call "all over body cramping" that happens only just as I begin to fall asleep at night.

It starts with cramping in my feet followed by cramping up the back of my calves & thighs, excuciatingly tight abs, cramping in both fore & upper arms, and pins and needles in my neck.

Anybody else having similar fun?

I saw another post from someone else who described a tight band around their chest. I have that as well...it apparently is a symptom of both FM & MS...

Old 09-19-2005, 04:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User
Re: Question for everyone

Hi and welcone,

I do not get a lot of leg pain but do get the cramping in my stomach, ribs, shoulders, neck and arms when i lay down, I always hope I can fall asleep before the crap starts. I have FM, myofascal pain and costochrondrtis, have no idea what is coming from what.

I do get the leg and foot cramps at times. I am the one who posted about the tight band around my ribs.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2005, 06:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User

Welcome Linda.....I don't have any cramping like you stated. I just wanted to welcome you, Im new here also and there are alot of fantastic, warm and loving people here. (((((((((( Hugs ))))))))))))

Hope

Old 09-19-2005, 06:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User

Thanks guys, for the welcome and shared experience. At least I know I am not nuts!! LOL!

Linda...I also have costochondritis. It's a bear sometimes, isn't it?

Hope you all have a very restful, pain-free night.

KelliD

Old 09-19-2005, 06:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Welcome! I have a lot of cramping at night, too, and sometimes get help from a homeopathic containing quinine. Might be worth a shot.

Seaturtle

Old 09-20-2005, 03:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User

Hi Seaturtle....I have been looking into the quinine solution. What I don't fully understand is why this pain seems to only really kick in when we are at rest. You would think - logic would seem to dictate - that resting those muscles would do you good...

Old 09-20-2005, 07:10 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi kelli,
welcome to our family. you will enjoy the good people here. we will enjoy you!
i also went the quinine route. now i take neurontin befor bedtime. it helps most nights.
try taking a walk or a bit of stretching about an hour or two befor you retire. another wierdness we have. exercise befor bed seems to help us sleep better.
at rest is when you will notice it more. makes no sense, yet there it is.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 09-20-2005, 11:26 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

RozIA HB User

What is Costochondritis?

Old 09-20-2005, 12:34 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

KelliD HB User

My doctor said Costochondritis is essentially a virus that lies dormant in the lining of the chest wall until over-exertion or another physical malady triggers its inflammatory response. It can cause nearly unbearable chest pain.

Old 09-22-2005, 01:34 PM   #10
(female)

smackliet HB User

I had the cramping every night too. I started using calcium and magnisium at bed time and it did help to a degree. WHen my dr. put me on lorazipam for sleep the cramping stopped, because it also relaxed my muscles. It helps spasming in my back as well. I also use strech bands to stretch my legs real well before bed. It makes a big difference for me.

Old 09-26-2005, 05:05 PM   #11
(female)

racersue HB User

Hi Kelli I also have MS and Fibromyalgia I get the leg cramps at night too its wicked i take a medi called Requip at night about an hour before bed it helps alot hope this helps take care sue

Old 09-29-2005, 04:55 PM   #12
(female)

racersue HB User

Hi Kelli I have MS and fibro too like ms isnt bad enough i too get the leg cramping its wicked i take 1200mg of neurontin which doc thought would help my legs cramps but not i now take requip i take it about an hour before bed let me know if you have any other questions i havent found too many people that have both ms and fibro

sue

Closed Thread