It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2005, 08:03 AM   #1
(female)

uncoordinated HB User
Question Who has been "sick" the longest? 20 years for me.

I'm curious how this condition evolves. I first started seeking medical help in 1985 after two successive surgeries and have gotten worse each year. For the last two months it has become very difficult to walk and the pain has incresed dramatically. Please tell me if you've been sick longer and how you are doing now. I will be eternally grateful.
Thanks

Last edited by uncoordinated; 09-27-2005 at 04:13 PM. Reason: wording change

Old 09-21-2005, 02:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User
Re: Who has been "sick" the longest? 20 years for me.

I was dxed almost 22 years ago, a year earlier with myofascal pain syndrome, than FM, IBS after that and about 5 years ago with Costocrondritis.

I have gotten a lot more pain, longer flares and more pain sites over the years. Of course aging is not helping any.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2005, 01:04 PM   #3
(female)

movin slo HB User

Oh Man, PA
I'm not good at pop quizs To be truthful I think mine started about
30 maybe 35 years ago. I got a super severe ear infection I was in bed for about 3/ 4 weeks, Then I started with the "growing pains" ummm. But documented since 1990.

Old 09-24-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
(female)

uncoordinated HB User
Arrow Re: Who has been "sick" the longest? 20 years for me.

Linda and Sue,

Thanks for your reply. I have started a new thread to document my new treatment with T3. If interested please see T3 (Cytomel)... my experience.

Bye now.

Uncoordinated

Last edited by uncoordinated; 09-27-2005 at 02:44 PM. Reason: typo

Old 09-25-2005, 09:48 AM   #5
(female)

Loretta HB User

A couple years after my last pregnancy, 30 yrs. ago, the bottoms of my feet started feeling like I was walking on cushions with pins poking through. My doctor never did figure out what was wrong. It never did go away to this day. About every 5 years or so my lower back would go out. I remember having to take off work and lay flat on my back for a few days before it would go away. All of a sudden about 10 years ago I started feeling pain in both knees, my waist, my shoulders, etc. I returned to the doctor (a different one), and he said it sounded like I have fibromyalgia. I've learned to live with the pain (don't take medication), however, I hate the tired feeling. I seem to have a flare up whenever the weather changes, which it is right now. It always passes, but I have to be awfully careful about not overdoing it when I'm feeling better.

Last edited by Loretta; 09-25-2005 at 09:49 AM.

Old 09-25-2005, 04:30 PM   #6
(female)

uncoordinated HB User

Loretta,
My first symptom was also the bottom of my feet. I noticed it several weeks before the pain started. I didn't think of it until I read your post. Thanks for the reply.
Uncoordinated

Old 09-26-2005, 08:40 AM   #7
(female)

movin slo HB User

PA,
Are we really THAT OLD? I don't remember hearing or seeing any thing that said the GOLDEN YEARS was like this. But here we are! Hope you have a nice peaceful pain free day!

Old 09-26-2005, 09:03 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

Yes sad to say yesterday was my 64th, believe me I don't think their are any golden years for us fmers, mps's and costro sufferers.

But than again most people my age have arhritis and etc. My mil is 84 and still waiting for the golden years, my mother passed away at almost 90 and always said I am waiting for those golden years, so I think it is a myth.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Last edited by pa235; 09-26-2005 at 09:06 AM.

Old 09-26-2005, 09:12 AM   #9
(female)

movin slo HB User

Linda,
I always told my mother the golden years is your urine gets darker hehe. She didn't think I was very funny.

Old 09-26-2005, 10:16 AM   #10
(female)

DecLady HB User
3 years since my DX

I would say I started having symptoms about 10 years prior to that..but had no clue that I had a true illness. I chalked most things up to aging..or maybe a bit of osteoarthritus. But, 3 1/2 years ago ( I am 52 now) I had "pain spots" that weren't making any sense to me..and I also had times of flu like symptoms...that never really manifested into the flu! Come to find out...that is all Fibro stuff!
When I read posts from you all that this is 10 or 20 years that you have been dealing with this darn thing...It is so discouraging to me. I wonder if I will ever be "healthy" again!

Old 09-28-2005, 09:21 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

I can recall these symtoms some 20 years ago, but they would strike only occasionally. As time went by and mostly in the last 5 years, the pain and stiffness are with me everyday. And I see no hope of getting better. Pain meds barely put a dent in my suffering. Maybe I am immuned to these meds since I have to take them everyday just to get dressed.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:18 PM   #12
(female)

uncoordinated HB User
I'm not mad...

( removed )

The reason I started this post is because I discovered several different sources that say that the symptoms of fibromylagia, chronic fatigue and adrenal fatigue didn't become widespread until the endocronologists changed the way hypothyroidism was being diagnosed and treated in the early 1970's.

I want to find out how many (if any) people here have been "sick" with these symptoms longer than that (aproximately 30+or- years).

If anyone here is interested in reading about the apparent effective treatment (which involves thyroid hormone T4/T3 or T3 only) check my 2nd thread titled "T3 (Cytomel)... my experience!".

best wishes to everyone
uncoordinated

Last edited by moderator2; 09-29-2005 at 01:59 PM. Reason: please report inappropriate posts - do not react to them

Old 09-29-2005, 09:11 PM   #13
(female)

uncoordinated HB User
To rstarre...

To rstarre...

There is always hope. There is more research than ever before and there are treatments that have been proven by double-blind placbo controlled studies to "cure" this condition. My T3 treatment is only one.

I hope you also see my thread titled "T3 (Cytomel)... my exerience!". This treatment is for people with symptoms of hypothyroid, fibromyalgia, and chronic fatigue for whom the
proper dose of a T4/T3 did not help.

After the first day on T3, my pain was mostly gone. My pain had been widespread and kept me awake at night so this alone was a major improvement.

Best Wishes
uncoordinated

Old 09-30-2005, 07:08 AM   #14
(female)

aaronon HB User

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed in 1993, I think tho, that I've had it for quite a while longer, probably 5-10 years before that. I also have IBS, which once I started thinking about it, I realized that I'd had it since my teens.

a

Old 09-30-2005, 08:22 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

lets see im 51 now, but i remember always hurting as a young child, with doctors always saying it was just growing pains. problem is i never saw any other kid hurting as much as i was or complaining about their growing pains. doc thought i was over reacting to them and made me feel like i was a wimp. In the teens it got a bit worse, seemed i never grew out of the growing pain stage. always something hurting bad, seemed to travel to different parts of the body at times. my knees would hurt for months on end, then stop and move up to the shoulders. the shoulders would stop hurting and my hips would be next. always something. doctors tested me for lupus at age 23 but tested negative. pain got much worse the years. about 5 yrs ago i finally got the diagnosis of fibro by 3 different doctors. so have had this thing for a very very long time. just 2 months ago i was diagnosed with thyroid problems, hypo so taking synthroid for that.

Closed Thread