It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2005, 06:56 AM   #1
(male)

astroh2o HB User
Post FM Info

Hello all,

I hope all is going well with everyone. I am posting this here because I know that FM and MCS and CFS are related. So I thought I’d pass along what info I have in the hopes it will be of use to someone.

My wife has MCS, so I was researching MCS and ran across a review of various treatment methods and how effective they were. The review was by Alison Johnson in 1997. Of the 172 methods tried, there were 3 where everyone was helped and no one was harmed nor had no affect. One of those methods used Atropine. Now indeed, of the 351 people who had responded to the questionnaire, only 7 had tried this method. Still there were numerous other methods trialed with a small group of people and had no affect or were harmed by the treatment. So when one popped up where everyone was helped, I had to take notice.

I researched Atropine and found that it is used to treat organophosphate poisoning. Organophosphates are neurotoxins, and are used in agriculture. This led me to research neurotoxins, which lead me to an article about Dr. Shoemaker and Chronic Neurotoxins mediated illness theory.

Another more recent review was done by Pamela Gibson, Amy Elms and Lisa Ruding. This was done in 2003 using 917 people. A 3rd evaluation was done by Leonard Jason using 305 patients in 1995. Using these 3 reviews at least gives me some idea what has the best chance at working and what does not. They also gave me some ideas of things to further look into. I hope this info is useful to some of you.

The article about Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker was by Patti Schmidt. Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker believes MCS, FM, and CFS are caused by Neurotoxins. It is fairly long so I’ll do my best to summarize it.

In the late 90’s a number of his patients had symptoms similar to CFS. It just so happened to coincide to sick fish in a local river. Upon further investigation, he found the patients all worked or played in the river. Toxins from a one-celled dinoflagellate, Pfiesteria piscicida, apparently infected the people. But their body’s systems could not rid themselves of the toxin.

He collaborated with Dr. Hilton Kenneth Hudnell a neurotoxicologist. He believes that neurotoxins form different possible sources; mold, ticks, spiders, agricultural chemicals, bacteria, viruses, and other sources, get into the body and the body can’t rid itself of them. They eventually determined a test for neurotoxicity and a way to rid the body of the toxins. The test is a visual acuity test. As I understand it, the neurotoxins affect the eyesight and this test can identify this.

He used Cholestyramine, a cholesterol lowering drug to remove the toxins. Again, as I understand it, the drug is taken on an empty stomach, which allows the drug to bind to the toxin, which allows it to be removed from the body. Otherwise, it just stays in the body and causes the chronic affects. He has apparently had some good results with curing people with the Lyme disease, MCS, CFS, and FM.

So, now that I’ve gone over all of that. Has anyone got any experience with using Cholestyramine, this theory, or the doctors? Has anyone got more info of any kind on this?

And As long as I’m going over things, there was another article by Martin Pall called “Multiple Chemical Sensitivity – The End of Controversy”. He is a biochemist who had MCS and did research to determine the link between it and Nitric Oxide. I found that article sometime back and finally found the treatment protocol based on his work. It is referred to as the “Ziem/Pall Protocols for Neural Sensitization”. He teamed up with Dr. Grace Ziem to develop this treatment. Again, there were related articles about FM and CFS.

The final item I’ll bring up is the EDP or LDA treatment for allergies. We’re also considering that.

So, does anyone have any experience with The Ziem/Pall treatment protocols. EDP/LDA, or Dr. Shoemaker’s treatments? If, so, how did they work out.

Keep happy, hopeful, and have a good day.
WW

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread