It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2005, 08:36 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

kelley_bsb HB User
Thumbs up Teenage blues

Hey there everyone, I've been following this board for a little while now and would just like to give a little shout out to all my fellow teenage friends suffering. I've noticed through reading other posts that there seems to be a good number of other young persons with FM and thought maybe we could share experiences and helpful whatnots.
I am a senior in high school now and am stuggling with my seven classes that are mostly advanced placement and honors. But, I have recently found something that is like a little slice of heaven to me, it's called a 504 plan. It's probably only called this in my part of the country but other places probably have similar things. Basically, it's a document sent out to my teachers explaining what's wrong with me and a list of accomodations the school should provide. So now teachers will hopefully understand when I miss a lot of school/fall asleep in class/start crying randomly from pain and also allow me to retake a test in case I have one of my awesome let's forget everything in the world moments durring a test (which happened last year and was not good..)
Anywayz, sorry if this is a bit lengthy, hope it can be of some help to others making their way through school. Please share anything that comes to mind!
~Kelley

Old 09-26-2005, 06:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Re: Teenage blues

Hello Kelley,

I wanted to welcome you to our superb family. I left school some time ago, I am an oldie but wanted to say that the 504 plan is such a brilliant idea and seems to be such a help to you and others in positions that require this care and attention given to their needs. Obviously(?) it is tailored for any type of disability and this is highly commendable I feel. It would also be of such significant help I believe in the work place.

Thank you so much for telling us all about it. I hope you get responses from our younger family members. I wish you well in all that you do, and don't forget if we can help you in any way come and ask questions or just hang out. We have a good time, laughs, sometimes tears but also lots and lots of love and support of each other and for each other.

Take care.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 09-26-2005 at 09:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2005, 08:35 AM   #3
(female)

movin slo HB User

Hey Kelly,
That 504 sounds great! I bet it really helps you out. I'm old graduated in 1969
Wow!I can't be that old hehe. Must be I have a 35 year old son and one 28. Aw...... enough of that stuff.
WELCOME I know it is sometimes easier to talk to your own age group. But old or not we fight this awful fibro. and any other diseases we have. Sometimes it seems overwelming, and that's went you come here to us,to laugh,cry,ask questions.We always try to help our sisters and brothers out there fighting the same fight. Here you will find peace,help, love,understanding,and friendships you never thought was possible.
So welcome my young sister. Hope you enjoy the board as much as we do.

Old 09-26-2005, 05:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

HI Kelly,

Welcome to our group, I am glad you deceided to post. I wish you the best in schooland with this dd.

Hope to see post often.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 09-26-2005, 05:39 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

GodsGirl4ever06 HB User

Welcome!

Nice to meet you. I'm Julie and I am also a senior in highschool.

That 504 plan thing sounds really cool, but I don't think we have anything around here like that. Which is unfortunate.

But I do educate all of my teachers on FM. I have little pieces of paper with facts on them that I call "Fibromyalgia Fast Facts" and I give it to them and sit them down and tell them about it, not only to just educate them on it in general but to warn them that I have it and this or that might happen. I ask them to work with me. Most of them are pretty cooperative. Some even go above and beyond. Like my Anatomy teacher last year could always tell when I was in pain and would practically make me take her comfy chair. I felt silly but I was so greatful. And one time when I couldn't really move cause it hurt so bad she made me a bed in her room, played classical music and turned out the lights and let me sleep through my next class. She also took initiative to learn as much about FM as she could.

One of my other teachers was diagnosed right after me too. She was diagnosed with FM, as well as lupus, raynauds, and myofascial. Ick. But we would always talk with eachother and tell eachother what we were doing to help and share feelings. That was cool. We still do that if we see eachother.

I also take honors classes (though I have dropped out of a couple). However, I do go halfdays and leave right after lunch. That always helps, I can come home and take a nap or something like that.

I do work. Right now, though Saturday is my last day, I work at a place with go-karts and bumper boats and mini golf and batting cages and an arcade. I sell the tickets. I just got a job at Barnes and Noble, a bookstore, walking around and helping people. I train next week. Fun, but I'm nervous. I hope I will be able to do it.

Sometimes I just hurt so bad. It seems so unfair to be in this predicament when so many around me aren't, you know?

Well, I'll write more later. Have a good day and I look forward to a response.

Fibromyalgia
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Tachycardia
High Blood Pressure
Nummular Eczema
Depression
Esophagitis
Solar Urticaria (but not officially yet)

Old 09-26-2005, 08:20 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

kelley_bsb HB User

Thank you all for your responses! It's nice to have a little circle of love and understanding (which is harder and harder to come by).
Hey Julie! It's too bad your school doesn't have anything like a 504 but the talking to your teachers and giving them fact sheets is a really good idea. The worst thing for me is when teachers don't understand and think I'm lazy or whatnot but for some reason I have fought myself about talking to my teachers about it. I never really wanted to admit that there was something pretty severely wrong with me to them because I didn't want them to treat me differently, though now I have come to terms with that many times I really must be treated differently. I think soon I will talk to my teachers face to face and try to explain in my own words what is happening to me but for starters the 504 was a good ice breaker (and possibly makes me seem more credible?)
Anywayz, that's really cool that you have a job/ are starting work at Barnes and Noble, I love bookstores (and reading, of course!) I wish you the best of luck with that! I think that once swim season is over for me I may try and get a job-by swim season I mean me showing up for swim team and staying through warm ups and only the easy stuff. I totally get what you mean about our predicament, especially as I watch all the people on my team swimming and complaining that they HAVE to swim when all I want is to be ABLE to. But alas, at least I am not dieing right? though sometimes it may feel like it..
Love,
Kelley

Old 09-26-2005, 08:20 PM   #7
(female)

Searching:S HB User

Hi! I'm in my first yr. of college. The 504 sounds like a great idea. I don't know if we have that here. I've talked a bit to 1 or 2 of my teachers and they understand. Always a good thing. LIttle worried about the forget everything episodes with all of the tests.. I've been homeschooled from 3-12 grade so I didn't have to worry to much about educating the teachers...considering it was my mom...and she has fibro. too. But now it's a whole new thing. It's good to have these boards.

Old 09-29-2005, 04:37 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

Hi and welcome,

My daughter has chronic fatigue and before she went away to college in the fall, i had all of her medical records sent to the school and a note from her doctor stating that she had cfs and that she needed a private dorm. This has helped her so much because she can come back after class and rest. About 1/2 the dorms are singles but they were all taken. Having her medical records there also will help if her symptoms worsen or if she has too much difficulty with her classes.

My son has a learning disability and is hearing impaired. Although he has a job detailing cars, he doesn't have any benefits. He is 20. I got forms from our doctor stating that Dustin is disabled and turned them in to my husbands health and dental insurance plans. Now he is covered until he is 26. Just an fyi.

You two are amazing. Best wishes to you both.

Donna

Closed Thread