It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

wishn HB User
Trazodone for sleep, but....

I have gained 20 lbs in less then 1/2 year. The doctor gave it to me for anxiety and a terrible sleep problem. Has anyone else experienced this? I def need something for anxiety and sleep I've tried everything.

Any ideas that have worked for you?

Thx,
Annie XOXOXOXOX

Old 09-26-2005, 08:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Re: Trazodone for sleep, but....

Wishn, I just use ambien for sleep 10mgs. and a muscle relaxer and benadryl for the extra boost when I need it. I like the sleep aid cause it wears off and I don't have the hangover. I don't need anything for anxiety. Just a question, would you need the anxiety meds if you could get good sleep? The ambien or the new lunesta would give you the sleep. I have gained weight with fibro, but have really not gained any extra since on the ambien. I know bluelakelady uses ambien and she has lost weight so I would say it is not a factor for weight problems.

Well, just some thoughts hope you can get it worked out. I'm sure there are others with the straight dope on trazodone.

Glojer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2005, 09:06 AM   #3
(female)

movin slo HB User

Wishn,
How much trazondone do you take? I take 200mg. One thing I learned is when I take it to go to bed. If I sit up after I take it I have a hard time getting to sleep. I asked my Dr. about ambien and I can't take it because of other meds I'm on. I'm on Paxil 40 mg,and clonazepam 2mg. I have CF along with fibro. and I have to use a CPAP machine.
But you need to talk to your Dr. and get something that help you. I know what is like to not be able to sleep Best of luck. I do get a 6-8 hr. sleep with trazondone,paxil and clonazepam.

Old 09-26-2005, 12:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

I took it once and i was like a zombie until after 2 the next day. I haven't taken it since. I keep waking up at 3 or 4 and can't go back to sleep. I can't take ambian either so i guess i will try the benedryl. i take flexeril 10 mg and that used to do it but not any more.
I am always complaining and obsessing over the 60 lbs i gained in the last year. I am finally controlling my appetite by following a strict diet and eating 3 meals and 2 snacks and nothing after 7:30. I lost 6 1/2 lbs in 12 days.
good luck, i know how you feel
Donna

Old 09-26-2005, 01:24 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi annie,
like glojer said i take ambien. i gained weight on anything else. elavil was the worst. it has taken me years to get back where i was. i have been on ambien for at least 4 years now, i think. i also take benadryl and neurontin for restful sleep.
i found once i was able to sleep alot of my anxiety went away. talk with your doctor about this. there has to be a medicine out there that will help you without having the side affect of weight gain.
i carted that weight around for a long time believing what the doctors were telling me about not being able to exercise. back then they thought once muscle tone was lost there was no building it back up. they were wrong. i have muscles again. they told me i would tear tissue that would never heal. of course now they say, exercise! finally they are right!
what is your diet like? do you snack in the evening? how much water do you drink? do you exercise?
there, now you have a bunch of questions to answer, giggle.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 09-26-2005, 04:44 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Butch0926 HB User

I've taken trazodone for many years. It was my original antidepressant. Now I take it just for sleep. I take 75 mg. before bed and it usually keeps me asleep for 5-6 hours. If I'm unusually tired, I'll also take 5 mg. of Ambien.

My doctor prescribed 10 mg. Elavil for my fibro pain, but I'm having problems with gaining weight, so I stopped taking it. I'm a member of TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) and am going to try to increase my exercising to see if the pounds will come off.

Nancy

Last edited by Butch0926; 09-26-2005 at 04:45 PM.

Old 09-28-2005, 03:41 PM   #7
(female)

the mad katter HB User

I have taken Trazadone for 5 years and I have not experienced any weight gain. 150mg. I am also on Adderal and Geodon. I tried Ambien, but it was too mild and addicting. (Like I needed MORE of it every night to sustain) Do you take any Anti-Depressants? Because Anti-Anxiety pills and Traz are pretty much "downers"... Not good for the FM...

The Mad Katter

Old 09-29-2005, 07:05 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

wishn HB User

Hi everyone,
Thanks so much for replying, I do appreciate your input very much.

I take 50mg of trazadone nightly. Maybe it is not working sleepwise as it used to because it is not enough??? I'm worried about increasing for the increased effect of weight gain. But, I am also concerned about getting off and the anxiety being a factor again. Any suggestions about anti anxiety meds? Has anyone taken Celexa? I think that is what it's called, may be wrong. I took the ambien for 4 years, but worried about the side effects down the road. Any thoughts on that? Always something to worry us with fibro. My doctor, who i am not particularly fond of and trying to change, said that she would not prescribe the ambien because I have been on for too long. She said the trazadone is much safe down the road.

Love getting your feedback. You guys are awesome. Kind, compassionate, caring and family.

Hugs, Annie

Closed Thread