It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2005, 03:49 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User
Talking Missed you all!!

Hi everyone,

It has been so long since I was able to post. I missed my fibro family terribly and am thrilled that I can sit and type again.

I will try and make this short since it is rather boring.

I was laid up in bed for three weeks in July with a headache (I have 2 herniated discs in neck). Because of this my back became sore.

One day I was feeling better. Since I like the outdoors so much I decided to do some watering. Big mistake!! In doing this, bending over and then stretching a little I threw my back out. Now, I have heard people talk about back pain but I never realized the extent of the pain and the inability to move at all. I was dead weight and the pain was off the charts. I had herniated discs in my lower back and was spasming al over, all the time. When I looked at how much my back was swollen it freaked me out. Could not move my big toe it hurt so much Now I feel great compassion for anyone who has a bad back. Fibro pain didn't even come near as to how bad it was (at the time).

I was in bed for at least a month, my sister had to come and help since I couldn't even go to the bathroom by myself (it is amazing how you have to let your pride go when something like this happens). I stayed in pajamas for a month straight, now I want to burn anything I wore .

Through physical therapy (which was very difficult) I am slowly on the mend. Now I am dealing with the Fibro more, unfortunately it was waiting to rear its ugly head. I am sure the stress on my body and mind did not help. My back is still extremely painful but with a lot of pillows I can sit and type. I feel better since I am not in constant spasm.

It is very frustrating for me right now. When one thing began to heal, my fibro kicked in big time (it was always there but my back hurt so much that I didn't even take notice). So here I am today again, in my pajamas, new ones my sweet hubby bought, I am sure he was sick of the old ones too.

This is the hardest road when it comes to my health that I have ever taken. The good that has come out of it is that I had a lot of time to think and because of this I have let many things go that used to stress me out. That is a major hurtle.

That is my story. I want to welcome and introduce myself to anyone who is new and those I have not met. I am looking forward to getting to know you all. I also want to say hello to Glojer, Blue, Goldenwings, others that I know I am leaving out but I can not think of (fibro fog ). I missed chatting with everyone on this board and getting the support and love that is always so forthcoming.

Ok, my body is saying lay down for now. Good to be back.

Peace and Love,

Hangin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2005, 05:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Re: Missed you all!!

Yaaay!! Hi Hangin,

Welcome home sweetie. I am just so sorry things have been so bad for you, and you are back on that same path again. Do your best to relax a litle and take it easy. I jow it's hard to be dong that again, but time will ease it all for you and the rest will help I'm sure.

It seems that deep thinking has been on the menu for a few of us lately. Our minds need that rest and recharging too don't they?

It really is good to have you home so take care and enjoy those new PJ's. I am not going to be here for a couple of weeks, and I won't have access to a pc, so it is good to know you were ok before I went off.

Luv 'n hugs,

goldenwings

Old 09-29-2005, 08:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Hangin, so glad to hear from you!! Oh so sorry to hear of your pain!!!!!! It is late and I am very tired, I will post more later. I will bore you with my 'thrown out my back stories'.

Glad you are doing better!
Glojer

Old 09-30-2005, 07:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

Glad to see you back. I think we all overdo things when we feel better. I was housecleaning for two weeks and actually, except for the achiness, felt decent pain wise. Now it feels like a Mack truck hit me, I have pain all over especally those darn sore spots in the upper chest.

That low back pain is bad, I get spasms in there and end up at the chiro, the pain goes down my leg and burns like fire, my foot gets tingly and my hip hurts.

Hope you are soon much better.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 09-30-2005, 11:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Hangin, I really feel sorry for you (she says giggling). I'm not laughing at you but I have been there and I know how it is. When that thing goes out you can't move one way or the other. I use to get my kids in their car seats (we had a 1972 two door at the time) and when I would try to back out of the car my back would be out and I couldn't move in any direction. Two little faces staring at me and I am stuck half in and half out of the car. I would think OK you can take a few seconds of pain just force yourself out of this car. Yea right! You can't make yourself move the pain is so intense. So there I would be whimpering and trying to get out of the car, then I would get tickled at what a funny situation and sight I must be and start laughing which would make the situation worse.

I was always fortunate enough to be able to use ice and heat and get things moving again before too long. But in Nov.2000 while I was helping my daughter get her house ready for her impending wedding in May 2001 I did it big time. I knew I could not spend the time in physical therapy before the wedding so I nursed my ailing back along and wore a girdle (yes I said girdle, it really helps with the abdominal and back support) and I made it through the wedding and was even able to dance and have a good time. Then I spent months in PT and still try to keep up with the exercises, if I don't I feel it ready to go again. By the way all of that and the marriage only lasted a little over 2years, he turned out to be a cheater and liar. She went with him for 5years and never knew.

If you can stand one more back story, my husband was carried away from his job in an ambulance twice because his back went out and his legs just went numb and he couldn't stand up. He did have surgery for his ruptured disc and when it started to bulge and rupture again he said I've got 34 years in I'm 'outta here'. He took his early retirement and we have been getting fat and sassy every since. He does have to take it easy though, his back is always tender.

Honest I feel for you hangin when your back spasms you can't move. Like you said you can't even go to the bathroom. (giggling again as I remember those awful times and trying to save some dignity)

Now you must deal with the fibro and tell it to wait its turn, I like you have never had fibro pain as bad as the back when it goes out. The back pain is way off the scale and I have never had fibro pain more than I couldn't stand even though the pain level may be high.

Sending warm and pain free thoughts to you my friend. Hope you get better soon I have missed you.

Glojer

Last edited by Glojer; 09-30-2005 at 11:30 AM.

Old 09-30-2005, 01:44 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

So good to hear from you all,

Glojer, you make me laugh I can picture you half in the car and unable to decide which way to go since both ways are out of the question (hehe)

When I was finally able to stand I would go into spasms and my sister would call them my disco moves. She helped so much in making me laugh.

The one thing that helped more than anything else was moist heat. It worked so much better than dry heat. A lot of heating pads have a sponge in them that you wet and apply. I have been applying all over my body. It even helps with my fibro in the real bad areas..If you do not have the sponge get a towel, wet it, wrap it around the pad, put a dry towel on top and you have moist heat. I swear by it.

Glojer, I can see why your husband would be carried away in an ambulance. When my back went I could not move. I have moved through a lot of pain before but I couldn't. Never again.

Linda, you are so right about these back spasms. They bring you to your knees, at least mine did. When I can I will be doing sit ups to strengthen my muscles, they need a lot of work. I hate the fact that I gained back all the weight I lost. Oh well, one thing at a time.

Well my dear friends, hope you all have a good day and thanks for the warm reception.

Peace and love,

Hangin

Last edited by hangin; 09-30-2005 at 03:35 PM.

Old 09-30-2005, 02:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya Everyone,

Just had to respond. I have spinal problems and things that play games with me. One bad thing at the moment is that I have a problem with my sacroilliac joint on the right side. This as you most probably know is sort of below your waist, above your bottom and at the side of the spine.

Well, what happens is that you can be going merrily about your business, and wham !! Slight bend forwards, locked, with excrutiating pain. Ow, ow, ow, ow - or words to that effect. It's hurts like heck, you scream and stay bent over double, not daring to move. Your leg decides that it cannot move without assistance, it goes completely dead. Matches the rest of my dear old bod there then. Now it isn't too bad if you are with someone who knows what to do and doesn't mind you screaming - like my lovely compassionman for instance. He puts the heel of the palm of his hand on the area, arm round my shoulders and gently, oh so gently, guides me back up. He then moves my leg so I have some sort of semblence of being straight. That's that then.

Now, when you have a home visiting hairdresser who you hardly know, but is such a sweet lady, and you go into spasm like this, what do you do? "Ha, ha, ha - says I - it's ok, I'll straighten up in a minute". Just carry on talking and I will not let you see the tears streaming down my face, I will not fill the swear box with coins and I will not whimper away every time I try to move. I grip the counter and slide my body along like Quasimodo, all lop-sided and bent forward and sit in the chair that is handy and let you cut my hair, I will then tell you I have an urgent call to make and can you come back next week to even the cut up, I wanted it to look like this anyway. You then finish and I say, "oh, let's forget the shampoo of my hair, can you let yourself out?"

My lupus doctor knows about the problem and this type of scenario and endless others like it, but says that a steroid injection into the spot will not work and so it will have to be looked into. One thing at a time. Good job I have a sense of humour.

Take care ladies.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 09-30-2005 at 02:13 PM.

Old 09-30-2005, 02:36 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

Hi Goldenwings,

Oh sweetie, that must be awful for you. You have such a strong spirit when it comes to all the pain that you have to deal with. You are an inspiration to me.

I want to share this story. I have been watching a lot of TV lately and on Oprah there were two gentlemen who overcame tremendous odds.

One of them was born in a third world country, at the moment I can not think of the name. He was born without a tibia in one of his legs. In this country it is a curse. You either kill your child or put them in the forest to die. This mother decided to keep this child and against all odds this man is a marathon runner and biker. How awesome is that to think of what he went through in growing up to get to where he is.

The other man had an accident on the football field. (Very handsome). He lost a leg. Shortly after that he had another accident and was paralyzed. The doctors said he would not move anything from the neck down. Well, this guy went through thousands of hours of painfull therapy and against all odds is able to walk and is also an athelete.

The reason I brought this up is that it made me instantly get out of bed and do something. Usually these shows touch me but for some reason this story touched me to my core.

Golden, when I hear of what you go through it made me think of that story. You might not be an athelete but you keep going even when you are suffering so. You have a sense of humor and a great amount of compassion. I admire you.

Take care my dear. Have a wonderful time on your trip. How wonderful for you that you have such a loving man. I too am very lucky in that way, my hubby is also full of sweetness, love and support. He has lupus also so between the two of us we keep each other going.

I am thinking of you and sending you my love.

Peace and love,

Hangin

Last edited by hangin; 09-30-2005 at 03:01 PM.

Closed Thread