It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2005, 02:36 PM   #1
(female)

Avrod6 HB User
I have been referred to a rheumatologist

I can see that I have come to the right place. I need help. Last November (2004) I went to see my dr. because I had these horrible headaches and my body aches so bad. I was also always so tired( I could sleep for 12 hrs and wake up and go back to bed for 6 more hrs.). He did blood work on me and found that my white blood cells were elevated. he did a ct scan because we both thought that it was my a sinus infect, nothing. he sent me to see a hemotologist finally in june (every 2 weeks checking my blood count) my normal is 7 (around there) and it was as high as 20. the hemo dr ran tests for lupas and luekemia, they came back negative Thank God. Now my regular dr is sending be to a rheumatologist in Berkely that he thinks is amazing. I cant wait to go. I hurt all day, every day and my head aches are always there. I can sleep all day and completely shut down and go nowhere anymore. My husband is getting really worried. My regular dr. says that he is guessing that I could have ra or fibro...., all i know is i am getting so depressed having spent all this time and still no results. Does this sound like the things that others have experienced. Will this dr. be able to help me. I am sleeping much of the day and night, my body hurts all the time and my head is always pounding right above my eyebrows between my eyes ( that is why my regular dr and I assumed it was a sinus infect with my high white count and all. I need some help with this and it seems that I have come to the right place.

Thanks for listening to me go on and on and on
Avrod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2005, 02:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User
Re: I have been referred to a rheumatologist

Hi Avrod,

I am sorry that you are having difficulty getting a diagnosis. It is so frustrating and happened to a lot of us. My doctor's wife is a rheumatologist and he knew right away that i had fms. I read that reumatologists see more patients with fms than with rheumatoid arthritis.

I had a ct of the head and brain to r/o MS. My labs were normal. I had the pain and some of the tenderpoints. I was diagnosed by my internal med doctor, his wife, and a neurologist. None of them told me what to do about it though. I ended up at a pain mgmt office where i had physical therapy and trigger point injections for chronic myofascial pain. That helped immensely. Then i followed up with a chiropractor who also did myofascial release when he adjusted my spine. My symptoms now are muscle pain, achyness, especially in the morning and sometimes fatigue and i feel like i have the flu. But some days i am fine. or almost fine. The weathere triggers flares with me sometimes. Stress does too. Magnesium helps with the muscle pain. Heat also helped me.

You will find a lot of support and information on this site. I know i have.

Take care,
Donna

Old 09-30-2005, 06:58 PM   #3
(female)

HUBBYLUVSME HB User

Hey Avrod. Welcome. Sorry Your Having So Many Probs Getting A Straight Answer. Maybe What The Doc's Tring To Do As Rule Eveything Else Out. But Also Keep In Mind, Not All Doctors Believe In Fm. Luckily My Wife's Gp Does And Is A Good Listener. But Since I've Researched Online About Some Of The Things That Can Help He's Refering Her To A Rheum. He Dosen't Know That Mush About Fm. There Is Alot Of Info On The Web. There Is A Wealth Of Info Here Too. Have The Other Half Look Too. It Helps To Have Someone Understand What It Is Your Going Through . What Some People Sometimes Forget, Fm Not Only Affects You But Those Around You As Well. Since I've Begun To Understand Fm, The Pain, Treatment, And Everything Associated With It, My Wife's Life Has Changed For The Better Because I Do Help Far More Than If I Listened To The Doc's. Matt

Old 09-30-2005, 09:29 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

kelley_bsb HB User

Hello Avrod! My wonderful adventures with pain first started with horrible headaches that would never go away, many times in the same place as yours. My doctors also just believed it was a sinus infection (because i get them a lot) until it wouldn't go away and I got a CT scan and an MRI that showed no infections. I would sleep all day long and always had that darned headache. Now, it has progressed to my whole body but that's what it started out as for me. I'm also in the process of being diagnosed-the current thought process is FM. Hope this helps!
~Kelley

Old 10-01-2005, 10:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Welcome Avrod. The symptoms you describe can all be FM, but there are some overlapping problems that can go along with FM. Be sure your thyroid tsh count is between 1 and 3. Many docs think if the count is within the standard lab range which is usually 0.5 - 5.5 you are fine. That is not always true and most women feel their best in the 1 - 3 range. Sleeping all the time is a symptom of thyroid problems and joint pain and there are many more. I know you said lupus was ruled out and that is great, but sometimes those kind of problems overlap also with fm.

Good luck on your journey to better health and please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Glojer

Old 10-01-2005, 07:45 PM   #6
(female)

Avrod6 HB User

Thanks for the info., I am glad that I found this site. My hemotologist checked my thyroid and said it was fine, although I don't remember what my count was. I absolutely love my GP, he is so nice and listens to everything that I need to get off my chest, he is the one that is referring me to this rheumatalogist (sp?), he believes that it is probably ra or fibro. My headaches and body aches are sometimes over whelming, and ibuprofin just isn't cutting it, I tried taking Aleve, but it hurts my stomach because years back I had been put on naprosin for a foot injury and that just tore up my stomach, so now I have to be very careful what I take, do you have any suggestions, until I go and see that ra dr. That isn't until a couple of weeks which seems like a lifetime to me. I know that some people swear off medication, and that was me until this now it is like WHAT EVER JUST GIVE IT TO ME. Thanks so much for listening to me. I took some Ultram today, and had a really good day. My husband and I went to the city to see our SF GIANTS play, tomorrow is it for them. I can not take that everyday cause my doc says that it can be addictive, but I just had to get out of the house, I am driving myself and my family CRAZY staying inside all day and night. If anybody has any suggestions on what might help relieve me I would sure like to hear them.
Thanks.........Avrod

Last edited by Avrod6; 10-01-2005 at 07:47 PM.

Old 10-02-2005, 08:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Some people have suggested warm baths as being very helpful and/or heat pads. I use some vitamins, magnesium and malic acid are good for muscle pains, and omega 3 oils for joint pain. I don't have much luck with the ibuprophen either, it just takes a little of the edge off for me. It does however work for headaches. Also have you tried a few stretching exercises, I know it is hard when you don't feel well, but stretching does help to relieve the muscle aches sometimes. Or maybe take a walk just to get the circulation going. Just a few things I have read on here that others use, hope you get some relief soon.

Closed Thread