It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2005, 12:53 PM   #1
(female)

pomegranate HB User
Question Maybe I'm not crazy...?

Hello All,
After having some pain and fatigue constantly since June, my boyfriend talked to his mom and she thinks I might be suffering (as she does) from fibromyalgia. In high school i went to the doctor for intense pains in my wrists, and numbness and tingling in my fingers--she said it was a repetitive strain injury and they ran a test on my arms to determine there was no nerve damage, and she diagnosed me with tendonistis, gave me some ibuprofen and sent me on my way. The pain never really went away, it would come back when using my wrists, sometime when I wasn't doing anything, and most often when I would fall asleep. I don't know if that really has anything to do with my current pain. Since June I've felt exhausted, had headaches all the time, my vision all of a sudden got blurry, the numbness and tingling was back and happened multiple times everyday, I began having a hard time remembering things and would constaly lose my train of thought, my body always hurt, and I always felt dizzy and off-balance. When I went in to the doctor I felt like a hypochondriac naming off all my aches and pains, apparently she felt the same way. She set me up with an eye appointment and gave me some more ibuprofen and that was it. Now, 4 months later everything still hurts, and my headaches are getting more constant. I just feel exhausted and can hardly keep my eyes open to study, and when I do I get headaches. I'm only 19 and I feel like I should have more engery than this, and shouldn't me in pain like this...

I guess the point of this post is to see if anyone thinks this sounds like fibromyalgia and to see if anyone has any tips on how to cope with the pain or any tips about getting to the root of my problem? Thank you all for any light you can shed. (and sorry that this was so long!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2005, 01:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User
Re: Maybe I'm not crazy...?

Hi Pomagranate.

No you aren't crazy. I suggest that you see a rheumatologist. They see lots of patients that have fibromyalgia and also chronic fatigue syndrome. I have fibromyalgia. My daughter has chronic fatigue. She has more fatigue than i do and she also has dizzy spells if she doesn't take her medicine, florineff. She is away at college and is 20. She is doing well. Look at some old posts. Believe me you are not crazy or alone. You will find lots of love and understanding here, not to mention solid information about fms.

You are in my prayers,
Donna

Old 10-04-2005, 07:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

It sounds to me like you have this crazy dd like the rest of us here. It sure makes you feel like you are a mental case at times.

Good advice to see a Rhummy for a true dx, but sure sounds like FM to me.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 10-04-2005, 09:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

First welcome to the board. Second..Ditto what Donna and Linda said. See a rhuematologist. Call a local physician referral at a hospital and ask for a doc who sees fibromyalgia patients. You could also have some other auto immune problem, so try to see a rhuemie.

Have they definatly ruled out carpal tunnel, with your wrists hurting when you relax to fall asleep sounds like it could be worth a look.

Glojer

Old 10-04-2005, 06:18 PM   #5
(female)

pomegranate HB User

I believe they ruled out carpal tunnel (they did an emg and found nothing wrong), and my doctor diagnosed me with tendonitis. Things had been going fine, I would have pain every once in a while, but this summer everything just happened at once. My arms started hurting again, and I was exhausted all of the time. The part that bothers me the most is that my vision declined so quickly. I have always had perfect eyesight and within about a week I was having trouble reading roadsigns because everything would blurr together. When I went to the eye doctor he found nothing wrong, I could read the sight chart just fine, so he just have thought I was fibbing about not being able to see (though why I would do that is beyond me). I've noticed that my eyes are giving me more and more trouble; I can't focus on a person's face when they are talking to me, and I'm having trouble reading (which is a major problem since I am an English major!) Is blurred vision common for people with FM? I heard from someone that seeing an opthamologist might be a good idea, can anyone tell me what that is exactly?

Since today was so bad (my entire body just hurts and it is killing my to type out 3 papers for school since my fingertips keep going numb and my hands locking up) I am going to the Student Health Center tomorrow to see what they say...I'm honestly really nervous because I have no idea what they are going to say. Thank you to everyone that has replied to this thread..it means a lot to me!!

Old 10-04-2005, 07:36 PM   #6
(female)

MandyPandy HB User

Welcome to the board, I'm new here too. Let me say that you are definitely not crazy no matter what they find. It saddens me to see how many people are pushed away at the doctors' offices as hypercondriacs etc. but it seems it has happened to most of us at one time or another. Do you have pains in other parts of your body besides your hands/wrists? There are many other conditions that can cause headaches etc. so it is important to find a doctor that specializes in fibro and other thigns so that they can rule out other conditions. Do you or anyone in your family have a history of migranes? Have you had all of your vitamin/mineral levels checked? Deficencies such as B12 and/or iron can cause tingeling/numbness in muscles, dizziness and even headaches.

Hope you are feeling better soon and can find the answers you are looking for!

hugs,
Amanda

Old 10-05-2005, 12:25 PM   #7
(female)

pomegranate HB User

So my fears became reality today at the Health Center...they didn't listen to me. The doctor wouldn't even let me go through everything I was feeling, he literaly said "you have a lot of complaints listes here, which one bothers you the most? we'll work on that one." As soon as I heard him say that I knew that I wasn't going to get anywhere. The meeting ended with a referral the a psychologist, and he implied that my symptoms were all in my head. I suppose the bright side is that I tried, and that he did order blood work. He ordered a liver function test, a cbc, a thyroid test and a basic metabolic something-or-other...is that typical?

I can't believe how frustrating this experience was! From readin gold posts I can see that I'm not the only one who has had this type of reception. Does anyone have any idea of how I should proceed from here? Someone had mentioned a rhumetologist, what do they do?

Thanks again to everyone *hugs*

Old 10-05-2005, 01:25 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

Hi Pomegranate,

Welcome to the board. Sorry to hear that you are feeling so poorly and confused. I think we all know this feeling.

I think I went through 20 doctors at least in my ten years of having Fibro (I did move, however many docs just don't get it).

There is someone out there to help you. What I did is call Doctors I am interested in, and pointedly ask the nurse if the doctor has dealt with possible fibro patients. Sometimes they right away say no and the doctor will not. This does cut down on a lot of visits like you have had that are getting you no where. It is good that some blood work is being done, this is a plus to rule out things. Get a copy of EVERYTHING, tests, your records from your visits, etc. This will always be your tools in going to any doctor. If I went to a new doctor and wasn't happy I would get copies from there and go forward to someone else. I think that having the records showed that I was serious about this. I know it is very frustrating and sometimes these docs have terrible bedside manners. Always remember it isn't you.

It is interesting what you say about your arms, this happened to me also. Both arms were very painfull. I had tendonitis in one arm, the other they couldn't explain. It always amazes me when I read posts and think back and realize how many of us have the same aches and pains. When I first had symptoms, of course I had no idea what it was but now in hindsight I could have saved myself time and energy (also surgeries that were not warrented).

Alot of people go to rhuemotologists, I don't (there isn't anyone good where I live). Someone who goes to one would be able to explain better than I could.

I want to stress to you that we all share the frustration you are feeling and have been there. Talking to a psychologist can only help you get some issues out, if you don't like them don't keep going.

I am sure you have many questions. You have found a good place, this board. You will get plenty of love and support.

Hang in there sweetie and don't be to hard on yourself. Take care and let us know how you are.

Peace and love, Hangin

Old 10-06-2005, 09:35 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Pomagranate, listen to hangin she said it better than anyone could. Let your fingers do the walking, call and ask if the docs treat fibro patients. Call a physician referral, local hospitals have them (did I say that already?). Rhuematologists treat auto immune problems and may look deeper for other auto immune problems. Like hangin said always get copies of your blood work and records. Good Luck, keep up posted.

Old 10-12-2005, 01:57 PM   #10
(female)

Casey924 HB User

This post is literally almost just like looking in the mirror. I'm also in college and have been sick for about 6 months. I experience daily constant all-encompassing fatigue (I'll sleep 16 hours & still wake up the next day ready to go back to bed!!), my body aches, I can't concentrate, & weird places like my hips and neck are bothering me that never have before. My boyfriend's mom also has fibromyalgia & thinks that could be a possibility for me since apparently all the bloodwork done so far on me has turned up fine. I've been getting a lot of that "It's all in your head.." or "it sounds to me like depression.." from the doctors lately. I'm a senior psychology major, I think I'd know if I were depressed. Of course I'm going to be a little ****** off, I've been non-functioning for SIX MONTHS!! I'm starting to feel like there's no light at the end of the tunnel. Anyway, sorry about the vent, I just wanted to check & see if you've found out anything new since it seems like we're going through similar things & if so how you got a diagnosis. THanks, Casey*

Old 10-12-2005, 02:49 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

Hi Casey,

I know it seems bleak right now but it can get better. What kind of doc are you going to? That can be very important when it comes to getting a doc to understand. If your boyfriends mom has fibro perhaps she can help you in dealing with this.

Have you have been tested for any infections like mono and the like? If not have them done to rule out as much as possible.

When it comes to depression it is the old saying "What came first, the cart or the horse"? (i think that is it,). Off course you are angry, you don't feel good, you are in school which is stressfull enough and you are exhausted.

I understand. We are all here for you to vent in any way.

Take care sweetie.

Peace and love, Hangin

Old 10-17-2005, 01:06 PM   #12
(female)

Casey924 HB User

Hey,
Thank you for your response.. Any encouraging words really mean the world to me right now. I'm still just going to a primary care physician. I go back on Thursday. Apparently all my blood work has come back fine. Maybe this will make more sense to you than it did to me. They said my Mono spot test has come back negative the three times I've had it done, but another test that shows if mono is in your system, yet "inactive" was conclusive for mono?? I had mono about 3 years ago in high school & they told me that this test appeared this way because I have had a mono infection.. but it's "not active" or it would show up on the spot test? I know I definitely didn't feel like this when I had mono before. Anyway, thank you very much for your help.. Casey

Closed Thread