It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2005, 03:05 PM   #1
(female)

Avrod6 HB User
This is a very bad day

I am having a horrible day, I had class this morning and I had to go but I could not sleep last night. My husband is out of town and he is the true warmth of our bed. I was so cold that my whole body was aching all over. So I got up and took a warm bath (as was told would help) and it did, then I had to get up again a couple of hours later and put my thick fluffy socks on and sweats, also turned on the heater. My girls woke up sweating and I got no sleep. I am at my witts end and not scheduled to go to my rhuemy until the end of the month. My gp gave me Ultram for the pain when I need it, I took some this weekend and it let me do things that haven't been done, but it doesn't take away all of the pain, but I am afraid to take it because I don't want to become so attached, but then I think "ok, I am only 35 I don't want to spend the rest of my life in sooooo much pain and always tired", I am having real trouble debating with myself as to what to do and waiting 3 weeks to see the doc, seems like a lifetime to me. I have 2 daughters, a loving husband, and I am going to school, not including trying to do housework, make dinner, and being the taxi driver. And then have to take notes in class my hands hurt so much and they get numb. I don't know what to do, does anybody have any suggestions because what I really want to do is curl up in ball but then that would hurt too.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:34 PM   #2
(female)

HUBBYLUVSME HB User
Re: This is a very bad day

Hello Avrod, My Wife Sometimes Is The Same Way. She On The Computer All Day And Comes Home Sore From The Neck To Her Finger Tips. She Takes Tram And An Nsaid But Some Days It Hardly Touches It. Here's Something That She's Been Doing Lately. Wrap The Hand And Wrist Area With An Ace Bandage. Not Too Tight But Not Too Loose Either. It's A Pain To Do But In The Morn She Has Better Movement Of The Fingers And Not As Sore. As For The Nights Hubby's Away Try A Heated Bed Pad. The Type That Goes Under The Sheets. Try A Single Just For Your Side. It's A Dry Heat, But At Least It Will Keep The Bed Warmer. Don't, I Repeat Don't Use A Hregular Heating Pad. One It's Too Small And Too Can Get Too Hot In One Spot. The Result May Be Too Hot For You But Not For The Marshmellows. Hope It Helps Matt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2005, 06:41 PM   #3
(female)

ksp HB Userksp HB Userksp HB User

Avrod6, Ultram AKA Tramadol is a non-narcotic pain killer so I wouldn't worry about getting addicted to it. If you hurt and it works for you by all means take it. I know what you mean about the Cold thing, I always know when winter is coming because my whole body becomes a big knot, I live in MN where winter is almost upon us, in fact we may get a little bit of snow tomorrow, I HATE WINTER! he hot bath always works for me but I always put on my flannel or fleece pj's and socks before I go to bed. My hubby is out of town 4 days a week so I know what you mean about the body warmth. About the numbness in your hands I too suffer from that but it's only half of my thumb that goes numb. Sorry but I don't know what to do for it, I just kind of try to pretend it's not happening. I write all day every day at work so it happens often. Hope some of this info helped. Have a great night!
KSP

Old 10-04-2005, 07:15 PM   #4
(female)

MandyPandy HB User

Hi Avrod6, I'm sorry you are in so much pain. I know we have all had days like this and they are horrible. Have you thought about getting an electric blanket (some of them have dual controls so that if you are cold and your husband is not then he could leave his off) or one of the heated mattress pads.
For the most part Ultram/Tramadol is safe but it is classified as a controlled substance because it is a synthetic narcotic. If you take too much of it (meaning several times a day for a long period) you can have mild withdrawl symptoms such as nausia which i have had. I have been on it for close to a year now and some days I only take it to help me sleep others I take it a couple times a day. I would not worry too much about taking at least to dull the pain until you see your doctor.

Good luck & best wishes,
Amanda

Old 10-04-2005, 11:34 PM   #5
(female)

Avrod6 HB User

well, it is 11:30p.m. and I am still up, thank you for the support and suggestions. I am going out tomorrow and buying a heated pad, I will buy the single one, thanks for that idea, my husband would die of a heat stroke. Okay so I feel better for having to take ultram and not feel like I am some wasted case. It seems like your mind sometimes does tricks to you and you actually start believing them especially when you have cut your self off from everyone (as I feel I have on occasion) because I am just not up to going anywhere. I think I will also try taking magnesium (sp?) as I have heard that it helps with the body aches, but what dosage should I be looking for? Boy I hope I can get some sleep tonight I feel like a walking zombie. Tomorrow is a day that I can stay home by myself and do absolutely nothing but cuddle up on the couch.
KSP I don't know how you could be in such cold conditions, God bless you, I live in CA and in the winter when it is 30 degrees I am crying.
Thanks for the support that you guys have given me , I am soooo glad I found this, I hope you have room for 1 more to enter your loving family, as I am very excited
Good Night to all, Avrod

Old 10-05-2005, 09:38 AM   #6
(female)

MandyPandy HB User

Sorry you were still having problems sleeping Avrod. I have had insomnia for 10 years or so now and it definitely takes its toll on me. Some nights I only get 5 or less hours of sleep and it makes the mornings so hard. I hope you were able to find the heated mattress pad that you were going to look for. I used to have one for my bed and then it was ruined. I truthfully had forgotten about it until you asked,now I think I will look for one myself. let us know how it works. I just foudn this board too but I seem to like it so far. I have been on other boards (still am) but sometimes its nice to find new ones.

take care,
Amanda

Old 10-05-2005, 09:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

There is always room for one more, we are glad you are coming here and sharing. We love helping people on this board.

On the magnesium I would suggest at least 500mg a day. Give it a try for a while, but remember sometimes too much magnesium can cause diarrhea so if you notice a problem cut back on the magnesium.

Oh, and I have said it before, if you need the meds take them just use common sense and if they cause a problem you can deal with it when and IF it happens.

Good Luck
Glojer

Old 10-05-2005, 10:05 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

Hi Avrod,

I buy microwaveable heating pads from a medical supply place. They run about $4 for a 5 by 11 and $7 for 11 by 14. I think moist heat is the best, at least it is for me. You can buy them at Walmart but they have covers on them and cost about $20, my g-friend made me covers for mine out of a towel, you let the one end opened so you can take the gel pack in and out. I use them just about everyday, Wish I had one that I could crawl into.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 10-05-2005, 01:55 PM   #9
(female)

smackliet HB User

Its interesting how many seek heat. I use to be cold all the time and then out of the blue i went the other was. I am constantly overheating. I freeze out my hubby with the fan in the window but in the winter if i get a slight chill or on rainy days i burry my self in hot packs. I think my thermostat s broken.

Old 10-05-2005, 06:55 PM   #10
(female)

Just 1 more option though it may sound wierd but I swear by it. When you have the furnace on and running, take your pillow and a nice big blanket, and lay on the floor next to your heater vent using the blanket to trap the warm air inside. The air circulates through the blanket so it warms your whole body!
Gee I must have lived in MN too long, it's 48 degrees out right now but it will be colder in the morning when I get up, there talking low 30s. Just thinking about it makes me cold.......

I just wanted to add, for anyone who had to go through the hurricaines God bless you and help you get back on your feet. I just saw an e-mail at work that was sent from someone just north of New Orleans, it was pictures of the sky and clouds before the storm hit, they were amazing!!! There was actually a wall clouds hanging down and in the middle was a ring of dark purple. I've never seen anything like it before!

Welcome to all the newbies, thanks for joining us and sharing your thoughts/ideas!

KSP

Old 10-06-2005, 08:12 AM   #11
(female)

Avrod6 HB User

Hi everybody, thanks for all of the encouragements, I always have the chills, I would pick summer over winter any day. KSP you can definately tell that you are from a very cold state. I had a very good night last night, I slept most of the way through except once at 330am but i didn't wake up again until 630am for good. It is so weird how you can be misserable for several days and then the next you feel pretty good(well after the initial getting up part and getting your body moving, mornings are very difficult for me). And then just like that you are back to a bad day, and it is not like you did anything different to warrant the change. It just seems like somebody is sticking pins on a doll and one day they will jab your leg and the next the won't. I hope all have as good of a day as I am having SO FAR. Smiles for everyone.
Avrod

Old 10-06-2005, 05:43 PM   #12
(female)

Avrod6- I agree with you on the miserable one day, better the next thing all though there are parts of my body that have CMP and they don't EVER stop hurting. Just thought I'd share with you my wonderful night/day. I was on the computer in the office last night and I started getting really cold but I had the thermostat on the furnace turned up to 72 degrees. Come to find out my furnace took a dive. Thank God for small favors I was able to get someone out today to fix it. When I got up this morning it was 35 outside and 55 in my house, talk about not wanting to get up and out of my warm blankies this morning. BRRR

KSP

Old 10-06-2005, 06:06 PM   #13
(female)

HUBBYLUVSME HB User

Hey From Jax Fl................so Glad That Your Having A Good Day. Just Remember What You Did To Get There. When You Get Bad Again, Do The Same Thing. It May Not Totally Work The Same Way But It May Help. Just Glad Your Smiling Again. Matt

Old 10-07-2005, 01:47 PM   #14
(female)

Avrod6 HB User

Thanks for all of the good thoughts, ksp, I hope your furnish is fixed. Wow already having to use your heater. Thankfully in Calif we are still seeing 86 degree weather. The nights dip into the low 50's but I am inside by then and in bed(most nights). I am sure it is like wise for you Matt in Florida. I don't know that I can explain what I do differently to have a good from a bad day, I don't think I do anything different. Sometimes I think it just depends on which way the wind is blowing HaHa. I hope everybody has a good weekend. This weekend is my moms birthday so we are taking her for dinner and we bought her tickets to go and see the Eagles in concert (she has always wanted to see them) so I think she will be suprised. She is the best mom in the whole world and I am so glad that we are able to do things for her now that I am an adult. We took her with us to Hawaii this summer with us, though she had to share the room with our daughters (14 and 16), I imagined that she pulled her hair out at night when she was ready to sleep and they weren't. She helps me so much especially this past year. Sorry just getting cared away talking about my family.
Hope all is well and everybodies chin is up.
Avrod

Old 10-08-2005, 01:18 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Talking about your family in such a positive way sounds wonderful, never apologize for that. People use to say things about me talking about my family all the time, I just said what you hear is how proud I am of my children and family. Sounds as if you are too Avrod and that is a great thing, they make the fibro and the bads days worthwhile don't they?

Glojer

Closed Thread