It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2005, 09:50 PM   #1
(female)

Biyak123 HB User
Question Need Sleep!

I have Fibromyalgia. I am having difficulty sleeping.I cannot relax at night to fall asleep. I need some ideas ???

Biya

Last edited by Biyak123; 10-04-2005 at 09:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2005, 08:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User
Re: Need Sleep!

Hi Byia,

I don't have difficulty getting to sleep. I wake up during the night and early morning. What used to work for me was 10 mg. flexeril, 1.5 mg xanax, a Benedryl, and 200 mg. Lamictal. Unfortunately, not working to keep me asleep anymore, but did most of the time in the last year. Good luck. You might want to check old posts for this topic as it comes up quite often.

Donna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2005, 10:31 AM   #3
(female)

MandyPandy HB User

Sorry but I am in the same boat as you. It takes me hours to fall asleep every night which makes the next morning hard as heck to get out of bed for work. I have recently discovered that I think I have RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) and am going to go to the doctor to get an opinion about that and treatment options. Do you have problems sleeping/relaxing at night because of pain? What have you tried. I have tried many different meds but I still have problems. I currently take Remeron and ultram at night to help with the sleep but sometimes even that does not help.

Good luck!
Amanda

Old 10-05-2005, 10:35 AM   #4
(female)

movin slo HB User

Hi Biya,
Here are some ideas that do not use meds. Take a hot shower or bath. get you bedroom as dark as you can,like putting a bath towel over window. Put on some soft relaxing music. Music that is used during a massage treatments are great. Take deep breaths and if your mind won't quit and relax think about a peaceful beautiful place.
Hope these help, I know it is awful not to beable to sleep.I take meds now for sleep. The music still helps me if I'm anxious or upset. Good luck.

Old 10-05-2005, 10:52 AM   #5
(female)

April414 HB User

Okay, here is what I do. Not perfect but does help quite a bit.
egCamps with qunine for restless legs, 300 mcg Metatonin, 1 valerian root, Buspar-if you don't have any type nerve pill look at Wal Mart, should be near the stuff for legs, Ambian-if out I take Equate maximum sleep aid liquidcaps-just 1, Flexaril and vicodin. Also I may put a cool pack under my neck or if something hurting real bad, like arm, I lay with my arm on another cool pack.
There are times I still can't stay asleep all night, mainly if aniexty kinda bad. Or if something, back,hips, whatever hurts worse than usual, or if the hot flashed are extra intense that night.
Hope this helps a little.
April

Old 10-05-2005, 11:26 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

I am interested in these suggestions, I have a terrible time sleepng. Usually can fall asleep but within an hour I am wide awake and cat nap all night, often wondering if I slept at all. I am up at 5 or 6 am because I hurt to keep laying. By 2 in the afternoon I am dragging and since I am retired I can take a nap, but half the time cannot fall sleep then either.

I tried hot baths, hot tea, even the natural teas, meds that did not work. I live in the country so it is pitch dark here, no street lights only the moon and stars.

Hope we find something that works.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 10-05-2005, 11:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

The only thing that works for me is sleep meds. I take 10mgs of Ambien 6mgs of tizanidine (muscle relaxer- zanaflex) and 1 or 2 (if I need it) of OTC 25mg benadryls. The ambien puts me to sleep right away and if I'm not flaring I sleep well. If I am flaring I usually only get 4 or five hours on the ambien and tizanidine that's when I add the benadryl. I said before, I'm pretty shameless when it comes to taking what I need to sleep. Sleep is so very important to my healing and ability to keep going.

I was wondering about the new lunesta sleep meds. I tried a sleep med called sonata, but didn't work as well.

Glojer

Old 10-05-2005, 12:41 PM   #8
(female)

Avrod6 HB User

I don't know if I could be any help today because I too am having trouble sleeping, but I am going to try and do some of the info on this board and maybe just maybe I can sleep tonight. I am going down to buy a heated mattress bad, I need heat and not the cold such as ice packs when I hurt. I am going to take a hot buble bath with nothing but candles on. and I always take a muscle relaxer the was px for me when I go to bed. I also have to have it completely silenced in the house when I do fall asleep, my husband and daughters that are usually still up when I try to go to sleep can atest to. I try my hardest (although it rarely works) to keep myself from falling asleep in the afternoon, cause then I would never sleep at night, but as of lately it seems that all I do is sleep, so don't listen to me on that part. I hope some of my suggestions help as you can be rest assured that that is what I am going to try tonight.
Caring, Avrod

Old 10-05-2005, 12:49 PM   #9
(female)

Biyak123 HB User

Movin Slo......What meds do you take for relaxation or sleep?

Biya

Old 10-06-2005, 10:25 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Have we mentioned that people with fibro don't go into a stage 4 sleep, in other words we don't ever get restorative sleep and never feel rested. Also we wake up every 90 to 120 min. on average, some more often than that. That's why I gave in and started taking the sleep meds, they work best for me right now.

I can see where you would need silence to sleep, every little thing use to wake me up also but now with the sleep meds I am not bothered by my family who stays up later than me. I also can't sleep in a dark room, I always have a small night light. Some sort of claustrophobic thing when the room is dark anyway Good Luck.

Closed Thread