It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2005, 08:31 AM   #1
(male)

damz68 HB User
What is the best pain reliever for FM? Need help!

Hey every one,
I was dx'ed with CFIDS/FM and chronic lyme. The last 7 days has been absolutely hell for me. From my lower back to the tips of my toes hurts terribly, especially ankles and calves. It feels like my legs are being wrung out like a wet towel. It does not matter how I am sitting or lying it constantly hurts. If every bone in my body was broke I would feel more comfortable. I was on tramadol before and had a real bad experiance with it. If I took it I was more dizzy, sick feeling and vomiting or when I did not I had double pain. Is there anything else out there I can ask my lyme Dr. to help with pain. I have been on elavil for quite some time, 12.5mg. It has not helped. I have heard a lot of good things about cymbalta but if it is like elavil probally wont do much good.

If anyone here can tell me a drug that may work please give me dosage in mg too.

Derek

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2005, 10:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User
Re: What is the best pain reliever for FM? Need help!

I have yet to find a med. that works for me. They either do nothing or I am so spaced out I cannot function. I either use advil or ex strenghth tyenol and my moist heating pads. We are all different with meds, what helps one may do nothing for another. I think it is all trial and error when it comes to meds.

Hugs,Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2005, 11:28 AM   #3
(female)

bilij HB User

Derek, the best things I have found is Norco 10mg 1/2 tab 3 times daily
and Ambien for sleep. It's like Linda said, it's trial and error. I could not
take anti-depressants because they fogged my mind so badly I couldn't
think, but they work wonders for some folks. Your doctor has to listen to
you and together decide what's best. I've been reading some of the posts
where doctors are not listening.......if I could offer one piece of advise to
you, make sure you have a doctor who listens to YOU. My prayers are with
you as you seek pain relief.
Bilij

Old 10-06-2005, 03:46 PM   #4
(female)

Avrod6 HB User

I too tried elvil at night and it did nothing for me, now my dr has me on Flexeril as a muscle relaxer for when I go to bed, I am not sure it is working yet. I only take 1 (I think 10mg) and I am not feeling my muscles relax as that is its purpose. Did you take 1 or 2 pills when taking tramadol. My rx says to take 1-2 for pain and when I take 2 my mind is in a fog and I just sit and zone the whole time, but when I only take 1 it doesn't do that, it doesn't take the pain away, it just makes it barable most of the time. When it is a real bad day it does nothing at all. So if you were trying to take 2 maybe try only 1 and see what that does. I also know that anything warm on my body feels good. Just a couple of suggestions. I hope you find something that will work in your favor, I know that it is hard. I think that talking to you dr is the best choice if you are able to
Sinceley Avrod

Old 10-06-2005, 05:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

Hi Derek,

I take magnesium and flexeril 10 mg. at bedtime. I used to take percocet 10/325 every 5 hours, but my pain is not as bad now. I hope that you feel better soon.

Donna

Old 10-08-2005, 07:05 AM   #6
(male)

damz68 HB User

Thinks everyone, at the moment my pain is back to barable. As far as tramadol I have tried all types of doses. Either it did not work at all or made me sick. I really hate to hear that nothing works and so far nothing has worked for me.

What a terrible illness this is.

Old 10-08-2005, 09:46 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Damz, I am the same way with meds, a small dose does nothing and a larger dose I am either so spaced out or sick on the meds.

When my back acts up, I was going to the chiro, he did treatments and told me to use my tens with an ice pack over it 3 or 4 times a day. As soon as I feel my back tightning I do this, it does help. Of course it seems the pain just pop up somewhere else.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis

Old 10-08-2005, 11:29 AM   #8
(male)

damz68 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa235
Damz, I am the same way with meds, a small dose does nothing and a larger dose I am either so spaced out or sick on the meds.

When my back acts up, I was going to the chiro, he did treatments and told me to use my tens with an ice pack over it 3 or 4 times a day. As soon as I feel my back tightning I do this, it does help. Of course it seems the pain just pop up somewhere else.

Hugs, Linda
What is tens?

Old 10-08-2005, 12:08 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

it is a small unit, battery operated. it has leads with these little patches that you put on pain sites. it is suppose to help the muscles relax by sending these impulses into your muscles. the only thing that is good about it that I found is you are feeling the impulses and not the pain, but never takes the pain away anywhere other than my low back.

My ins. company bought me one years ago, I would not spend the money for one. Some people really love them though.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis

Old 10-22-2005, 07:05 AM   #10
(female)

DecLady HB User

The pain reliever that has worked best for me at this point ( 3 years dx'd.) has been vicoden. I did try tramadol, but that didn't sit well with me always..and wasn't as good at relieving pain. I have used vicoden daily for 2 years...and as my doctor has said...Until I am taking them in multiples...(right now I just need to follow his scrip) he won't worry about addiction with me! He is a very funny and practical man...and I trust his judgement. So, he relieved my concerns...and it is great to tell that to people who bring it up to me as well!

Closed Thread