It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2005, 07:42 PM   #1
(female)

HUBBYLUVSME HB User
Thumbs up Helping But Still Looking

Hello To One And All. Just Wanted To Update Everyone On The Better Half. The Bed Is Working Just Fine. Had To Change To A Firmer Box Spring To Frim It Up A Little, But She Says It Feels Just Right. She Was Saying That Her Hands Hurt In The Morning And We Started To Wrap Them With Ace Bandages. Surprisingly, It Helped So I Found Some Gloves That Had A Spandex For The Hand And A Wrist Bandage With Velcro. Helped Even More. The Glove Is For Arth And Carpal Tunnel Sufferers. Started The Mag And B Vit But Too Early To Tell Yet.
My Next Prob Is Trying To Keep Her Neck And Shoulders Warm At Night. Trouble Is She Can't Sleep When Is Too Hot So Flannel Or A Heavy Shirt Is Out. Has Anyone Ever Seen A Small Pad Or Something That Is Just For The Shoulders. Thinking That Might Keep Some Warmth In Because Living In Fl, She Likes Her A/c. Any And All Ideas Welcome. Soft Hugs To All Matt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2005, 07:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Helping But Still Looking

Have your wife to sleep in a man's cotton pajama top to keep shoulders/arms warm. It works great. My doctor suggested I do this and I really could not see sleeping in one, but, when you are miserable you will try almost anything.

Misty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2005, 08:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

Matt, you are such a wonderful husband. Your wife is fotunate to have you. I have a great husband and I know if he could he would take my pain on himself.

Do you have any of the gel microvaable heat packs, I buy mine through a med. supply place, the moist heat is a great help to me, Walmart sells them but they have a cover to them and are quite pricey, you can use a towel as a cover.

Keep up the good work, while you are fnding help for your wife you are helping us and I for one appreciate what you are doing.

Hugs, to you both, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 10-09-2005, 08:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Matt, you are such a wonderful husband. Your wife is fotunate to have you. I have a great husband and I know if he could he would take my pain on himself.

Do you have any of the gel microvable heat packs, I buy mine through a med. supply place, the moist heat is a great help to me, Walmart sells them but they have a cover to them and are quite pricey, you can use a towel as a cover.

Keep up the good work, while you are fnding help for your wife you are helping us and I for one appreciate what you are doing.

Hugs, to you both, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis

Old 10-09-2005, 10:08 PM   #5
(female)

April414 HB User

They're right. You sound very caring. Oh that all partners would be so understanding. Mine's slow in the understanding, oh, well.
The gloves sound heavenly, where do you get them? I found some that cover part of the hand but leave top part and fingers open, no help there.
Ok, here's what I do. I like my a/c quit a bit too, especially since one of meds started me having hot flashes. I leave my air on cold, put a heating pad where it hurts the most, ower back, upper back even back of my neck-well I did back of the neck before the hot flashes, just fold heating pad over, if it's too hot put a towe inbetween the neck and the heating pad, then put a cold pack on top of my head or forehead, now that I have hot flashes I pot one just at the hair line at the back of the neck.

April

Old 10-10-2005, 10:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Hi Matt,

Haven't tried this myself, but had it suggested to me by the massage lady I see. Use a very long thick tube sock or make a long tube and fill it with rice (uncooked). You can heat it in the microwave and place it where you need the warmth. If she needs a larger area, just find or make something the right size and fill it with the rice you can make it as thick or thin as you may need. Maybe it will help, sure hope you find a solution.

Glojer

Last edited by Glojer; 10-10-2005 at 10:36 AM.

Old 10-10-2005, 06:30 PM   #7
(female)

HUBBYLUVSME HB User

To One And All Thanks For The Info. The Heating Pad Idea Is Logical But Because She Is Such An Active Sleeper, Within The 1st Hour It Be On The Floor Or On My Side Of The Bed Roasting My Hinny. But What We Do Is About An Hour Before She Goes To Bed We Use The Hot Towel And Heating Pad Combo. It Works. At Least For Her.
Misty.....donna Likes The Idea Of The Pj Top. She Usually Sleeps With A Demim Or Tee Shirt, But Lately She Perfers The Buttons To The Pull Over The Head Style. At Least I Get Something Out Of The Deal. I Get The Bottoms.
April.......the Gloves I'm Talking About Only Cover The Wrist And Palm. The Fingers Are Open. Got Them At Walmart. If You Do Have Them Try Tightening The Wrist Just A Bit. Remember, The Pain Starts From The Wrist To The Fingers. Just Not Too Tight, Just Snug.
Warm Thoughts And Soft Hugs To All, Matt

Old 10-10-2005, 09:46 PM   #8
(female)

Avrod6 HB User

I have used Glojer's idea of the sock and rice. It works wonders. It is a moist heat and will stay warm for quite a while. I used it all the time when I got in my car accident. The gloves sound like a good idea. I love the a/c too and then I like to pile on the blankets. It sounds funny but I love the way it feels. Take care
Avrod

Old 10-11-2005, 10:26 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Doesn't sound funny to me Avrod. I am one of those that likes the weight of the covers, I like using quilts. Something about that seems so warm and snuggly. Maybe because I grew up sleeping under all those homemade quilts my Mom and grandmother and aunts use to make. Or how about a featherbed, anybody use one of those when they were little?

Old 10-11-2005, 03:28 PM   #10
(female)

movin slo HB User

Gee,
you guys are so ingenius! I have never heard of the rice & sock! Glad to know it is UNCOOKED!hehe. Matt, I just saw a cuddle bag at walmart I think it was 15-20.00. It either snapped or zipped up. I would love one but alias, my feet are my body thermonter, I go crazy if I can't get them uncovered.<G> I saw some winter gloves that are knitted and have a flap that will cover the tips of fingers if you want them covered. They were at menards and about $8.00. That's all I have seen. But I keep looking too.
Best wishs to all you SMART UNGENIUS friends.

Old 10-11-2005, 03:58 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Just make sure you microwave those rice filled socks because the rice gets buggy if they are not used for long periods of time. Just ask me.

Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis

Old 10-11-2005, 04:24 PM   #12
(female)

April414 HB User

I have a friend who uses one of those rice socks, she loves it, can't say enough about it.
As far as beds go, we have a sleep number bed, Paul Harvey talks about them. I love it sooo much, if anyone ever tried to take it away, I'd have to try to hurt them. Before we had a reg. bed and if I slept in it I's look down at it first and say " I hate you" I really did too. The sleep number bed is heaven to me.
I bought a pair of those gloves that cover the wrist and part of hand, does anyone know of any gloves that also cover the fingers and get a little tight on them? They and the part of the hand right before the fingers gets to where they hurt really really bad.
April

Old 10-11-2005, 06:26 PM   #13
(female)

HUBBYLUVSME HB User

Hey To One And All. Donna Says She Would Try The Rice And Sock Trick. If It Works, Cool..........just Dug Up An Out Pair Of To The Knee Socks I Had. (they've Been Washed) The Only Thing I'm Concerned About Is How Long The Rice Retains The Heat And Is She Going To Have A Craving For Chinese Food Every Nite Now. She Already Has A Cuddle Bag. It's Filled With What Smells Like Wheat Grain But It Only Retains Heat For About 5 Mins Or So. Just Looking For Something To Last A Bit Longer. Maybe Two Rice Socks Will Work. Uses One Heat Up The Other Then Switch. Oh And By The Way, Two Days With Big Smiles. We Must Be Doing Something Right.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:46 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Matt, I have a bed buddy back wrap that i bought at a drug store, it is microvable and stays warm a good half hour, it has a veclro stap so if you want to walk around with it on you can. It covers the area from mid back to the tail bone, I use anyewhere on my body. I still think in my opinion the gel packs are the best as they give moist heat, they stay warm for an hour.

Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis

Old 10-11-2005, 07:02 PM   #15
(female)

HUBBYLUVSME HB User

April............from What Little Your Saying It Sounds Like You Have Arthric Hands. Try Looking For The Thermal Liners For Gloves. They Do Sell Them Separtately. Or Check Out Some Med Supply Houses Form Something In That Line. Their Out There Waiting To Be Found. Hope This Helps.

Closed Thread