It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2005, 03:09 PM   #1
(female)

April414 HB User
Coping with fibro and staying tired

Does everyone with fibro stay tired? I mean really tired. I may or may not sleep, just being still for an hour or so helps but not for long.
Also, I'm sure not everyone with fibro can afford to have someone come in and clean house for them. So what do you do? I've never been great at keeping my house clean clean, mostly always have had lots of clutter and would go through it all from time to time. Now If I go to town to shop, pay bills, pick up pills,etc. , by the time I get home I'm finished, that's it. It'll be soup and sandwiches or microwave meals for dinner that night. I have no trouble loading the dishwasher, unloading sometimes a problem-the lifting to cabinets. Laundry. Wet clothes weigh quite a bit depending on how bad my arms/hands hurt. Folding and hanging up the clothes I hardly ever get done, I just lay clothes out, sorting them, they don't wrinklr much at all that way. The folding and hanging up just kill my back and arms.
How do you all do it all?
Billy Don works horrible hours so I can't ask him for too much help very often. I need to get my storage building cleaned out and up and straighten my other bedroom(office) up.
Sorry this is all so long. But what do you all do to get these types things done?
Thanks, April

Old 10-11-2005, 05:21 PM   #2
(female)

movin slo HB User
Re: Coping with fibro and staying tired

April,
I go through the same thing. My Dr. gave me good advise. If you are doing laundry (big problem for me) take 2 or 3 items out,put into dryer.Sit down and rest for 5 mins. This works. Like Dr. said clothes, dishes,pans, vacume,dusting,etc. will wait for you. after you get one thing done. Rest 5/10
mins. Then do another chore. If you can't then don't. Do what you can do,when you can do it. Don't worry about it. The Good Housecleaning Fairy got fibro.lol I also always try to lay down in the afternoon. Then see if I can do anything else. Like everything we with fibro do.... little baby steps.
warm,wishs,and energy,with hugs

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2005, 05:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

April,

I can get a really good nights sleep and feel like I never slept. I do what I can do when I can do things. My husband is a big help though. My attidude is if it gets done it does if not so what. if I get company and they think the house needs to be cleaned I will gladly show them where te vacumn is.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 10-11-2005, 06:32 PM   #4

Sun_Shine HB User

Hi April, sorry to hear about you feeling always tired but, completely understand. If I hit a lucky night and get 10-12 hours of sleep I'm still tired the next day. So regardless of how little or how much sleep I get I'm still yawning all day. (At work I'd start yawning at 8am!). Housekeeping chores are hard to do but, I too do the same kind of thing that the MovinSlo mentioned - short bursts. It's taken me a many months of 10 min bursts to get my "organizing" projects done to reduce clutter - but - if you're loved ones are okay with the works in progress for awhile - this does work for me. (And days will go by where I can't even put 10 mins in). But, I'm very blessed to have a husband who's willing to help out if needed but, yep I push myself too which doesn't help. For laundry I have tried to do smaller loads more often on the days I'm able to reach on the days I can't - I wait until the weekend and hubby does it. Lots of prayer & faith help to keep me going. That and the Fibro & Lupus board communities.

As far as a storage unit it might be worth seeing if you can find a local student or students who'd be willing to help for $10-$20. As a suggestion you could meet them there "supervise" from a chair explaining that you cannot lift or exert. They could put boxes at your feet to through & or you could mark the boxes to donate/keep/trash etc. But, don't over-do.

Hang in there & keep us posted on how you're doing.

Last edited by Sun_Shine; 10-11-2005 at 06:34 PM.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:26 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

Hi April,

I too cannot do much without getting fatigued. Sleep is something I do not know well since I hardly sleep so when I do I feel so much better. THen of course I try to do double loads of laundry to save time which doesn't work at all. I love the idea of smaller loads and then drying in small bundles.

Sunshine, that is a brilliant suggestion for April to get her storage unit cleaned out. That would be a nightmare to try and tackle alone or at all.

Even though my husband has lupus and puts in very long hours at work he helps on the weekends to do chores and shopping. He is a sweetheart. Although there are times where we are both so wiped out and in pain that we just let things completely go that do not have to be done at that very moment or day.

We were fortunate to find someone to come in and do heavy cleaning at a very reasonable fee. When it comes to the everyday upkeep my attitude is also that I will do what I can when I can and not worry about it. I am constantly working on myself to not sweat the small stuff.

I know we all do but try not to be to hard on yourself. It does sound like your family is ok with things which is something we all want. IT makes me feel better to know that they realize I do what I can.

Take care and be kind to yourself.

Peace and love, Hangin

Old 10-12-2005, 08:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Very good advice from everyone. I am finally getting to a point where I can relax a little more and not sweat the things that I can't seem to get done. What I did (and I know everyone can't do this) I hired a housecleaner. It was taking all I had to just keep up with the house and then when I couldn't it would drive me crazy. So I hired someone to vacuum and dust and of course she wipes up the kitchen and baths and does the other floors. She comes every two weeks, so all I have to do is wipe up the baths in between and of course I keep the kitchen wiped up all the time.

I can't tell you how much it has helped me, now I'm not worn out from the housework and I can devote small amounts of time to keeping the paperwork done up and sorting through things and I do more cooking.

I know not everyone can do this, but perhaps you and hubby can get together one day every two weeks and do the heavy stuff ( like vacuum etc.) and then you can do the laundry in the short spurts and resting in between as has been suggested. I do my laundry when I am on the healthboard. I come here and rest and read the posts while the washer and dryer are going and after a couple of loads I go do something else.

Hope you find some helpful advice.

Glojer

Old 10-12-2005, 10:32 AM   #7
(female)

aaronon HB User

April,

I stay tired. I work a full time job and then have to go home and take care of things there too. I have been fighting the absolute sleepies the last two days at work. Literally, walking to the bathroom to douse myself with water so that I could wake up. It comes and goes, all during the day. And, I slept all night last night. I just don't know where to pull the energy from.

a

Closed Thread