It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2005, 09:23 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

kelley_bsb HB User
Question Fibro diet help?

So, I've heard that diet can help fibromyalgia and have tried to find info on it and end up with my head spinning. I am not a person who knows anything about nutrition really, practically nothing and so I do not understand acids and carbohydrates or anything... kind of embarrassing.. sooo, I was hoping someone might be able to help me with this, I need foods that I can understand...peanut butter, soup, apples, oranges, milk, etc. etc. All I know is that caffeine is bad and i figured this out on my own so I don't drink pretty much anything other than water now. Any help with this would be much appreciated!
Love~Kelley

Old 10-12-2005, 06:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User
Re: Fibro diet help?

This is interesting, I am like you, know nothing about nutrition except that everything I like is no good for you.lol. I think sugar is another biggie that is bad. I just read where dark chocolate is soothing for pain, I sure can handle that.

I am sure someone will come along that can help, two of our gals are away right now and both are very knowledgable about diet and exercises.

Hugs. Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2005, 09:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Yes it will be nice when Golden and Blue get back they have such good ideas and info. The wealth of their years of experience and knowledge is so great for us.

The only info I can offer is to stay away from sugar as much as possible and of course caffiene. I have been reading a book called the glycemic index diet and have been trying to follow it. I like it because it is so simple red, yellow and green. The foods are listed in the color sections and of course green is what is best for you to eat. The gest of it is more vegies and fiber. If you have ever heard of the sugar busters diet it is simaler in my opinion, I did that one years ago. So try to stay away from fat, sugar, eat only lean meats and lots of vegetables. The book says half your plate should be vegetables and a quarter meat and a quarter carb (rice, potato etc.). Fruit is very good and be reasonable about the amounts of things you eat.

Hope this helps it is hard to know what makes us feel better or worse it is all trial and error.

Glojer

Old 10-12-2005, 10:50 AM   #4
(female)

Avrod6 HB User

I too am a nutrition don't know. I have also heard that magnesium is supposed to be good for you. And that eating an apple a day is good. There is some type of amino acid in the apples that it supposed to be good for you. I am trying to stay away from sugar, but I need coffee in the morning to help me wake up. I AM A ADDICTED COFFEE-HOLIC. So hopefully someone can educate 3 of us now.
Avrod

Old 10-12-2005, 11:14 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

I try and eat healthy when I can. It can be very hard when you have no energy and do not feel well to eat right. I find it very difficult to cook dinner the way I used to. The only bright side of not being able to cook much is that I eat less which has helped a little with my weight.

I have always eaten what I crave, I feel that is my body talking. The only time I know I don't need it is when I crave sweets. Lately I have been craving apples so I cut them up and put them into little individual servings and wrap in plastic. That way when I want something sweet I reach for the apples instead.

I take a Cal, Magnesium and Zinc supplement at night. For a while I took a course of very expensive amino acids and didn't notice a difference.

THe only thing that helped me with energy was Human Growth hormones. It is nothing like prednisone. There are no side effects. In research they found that some people with Fibro have no or extremely low HGH. We do not need much after we reach our twenties however there is a mormal level. I was way below the normal level. Some researchers believe that chronic insomnia can lower your HGH level and that would be me. My energy increased by 70% when I was taking the HGH. Unfortunately it is something that can be used in very large doses for cosmetic reasons. Because of this my insurance would not pay for it and it is very expensive. I had to stop taking it. Because of that I now am exhausted always.

I am having a very bad day today and notice that I have no energy mentally, emotionally, as well as physically. They really go hand in hand for me. How about everyone else?

There is a thread at the beginning of the board that has a lot of info on vitamins, amino acids, etc. Alot of very useful information.

Thanks for letting me share, I needed it.

Peace and love, Hangin

Old 10-12-2005, 06:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

hangin I'm so sorry today is a bad one for you. I'm right there with you on the no energy less cooking thing. We were eating out so often it was unhealthy for hubby and me both, couldn't get the weight off (didn't gain any extra) I'm already overweight. But with hubbys health in jeopardy and the large amount of weight he has gained I said something has to be done. So a housecleaner it was. I have never liked cooking and I still don't do as well as I use to, I don't even like going to the grocery store. Not because it is so tiring and difficult, I just really don't like it. I was sending my daughter cause she likes to go but then she went out of town and even though she is back she spends too much money. I go in get what I need and get out, I don't fool with all the fun foods.

That's just like insurance co.'s even though they know you aren't taking the med for cosmetic purposes they won't pay for it. I really don't know what it would feel like to have energy anymore. I have days where I am better than others, but everything is an effort and I am worn out by 1pm. and I really don't get started till 10am most mornings. So I hear ya Hangin!

I hope you have a better day tomorrow. I will try to check in and see how you are doing. I have blood work in the morning and some errands etc. so might not get here, maybe will get to check in tomorrow night.

Glojer

Old 10-13-2005, 03:28 AM   #7
(female)

RaggedyPrim HB User

Good morning, all! I've been reading the boards and have joined as a member now. I have fibro., and recently found out I've become extremely carb./sugar intolerant. I've always been a real chocolate addict...anything chocolate!

I recently went thru 5 weeks in a downward spiral until I researched and realized what was happening to me. I went off ALL chocolate "cold turkey"...cut out sweets...went to very low carbs. Within 2 weeks, I was feeling SO much better! Even my fibro. symptoms were better...so, I'm sticking to the diet and have lost about 7 lbs. so far in about 2-1/2 weeks.

It's hard changing to this way of eating...but I look at it as just that...not a diet, but a life change. The fibro. is way more than enough to deal with, but I've found out the hard way if I don't stick to this diet, all my fibro. symptoms feel worse. Not worth eating that way! Everyone is different, but when I went off the chocolate and sugar, within 2-3 days, I stopped craving them..thank goodness!

I'll be happy to support those of you who are struggling with this in any way I can. I'll keep an eye on the board. Thanks for letting me join you, and have a restful, tolerable pain day!
RaggedyPrim

Old 10-13-2005, 05:13 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

Hi RaggedyPrim,

Glad you found us and I hope to see you post often.

I go on chocolate binges and never found my pain get worse or less but have found the IBS to really get bad with the chocolate. I am glad you having sucess with your diet.But than I have only really noticed the problem with chocolate and have not taken sugar out of my diet. Thanks for the input.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 10-13-2005, 08:31 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Raggedyprim welcome! Glad you were able to make a connection between the sugar and how you feel. I know I need to stay off it and I can as long as I have fruit or something naturally sweet. When I don't have something like that I notice in the evening when I relax I start to crave something sugary. I now know how my hubby feels, he quit smoking 'cold turkey' after 40 years and his worse time is the evening when he sits down to relax. He never did smoke inside, but during the commercials he likes to wander cause that's when he smoked. Of course he still has his trusty candy bowl by his side.

So happy you joined us please post often. Glad you are feeling better that is such a bonus. Keep up the good work with your new way of eating and that will certainly encourage us all.

Hangin How are you doing today? Hope you are feeling some better. The weather is beautiful here in St. Louis and we are all 'pumped' cause the Cardinals play again tonight. Try to relax and stay stress free and take some deep breaths, hope you are doing better.

Glojer

Old 10-13-2005, 12:53 PM   #10
(female)

RaggedyPrim HB User

Thanks so much for the welcomes, Linda and Glojer! I must say, I already feel very welcome here already, which is a blessing to me. I recently joined another fibromyalgia online support group, and it turned out to be a nightmare! No need to go into it...let's just say I'm SO glad to find a nice support group!

As for the IBS and chocolate...I have it horribly when I eat chocolate! And last time that happened, I was so miserable, I blamed it on the fibro and not the chocolate! Not again...hopefully, I've learned my lesson. If you could just give it a try, I promise to be here for you! Remove ALL chocolate from your house...and don't let yourself even LOOK at the chocolate anywhere you shop! After 2-3 days, it does get better. The trick is to just keep your mind off it...whatever you have to do!

Hope that helps...thanks again for the great welcome!!

Last edited by RaggedyPrim; 10-13-2005 at 12:53 PM.

Old 10-13-2005, 03:19 PM   #11
(female)

Avrod6 HB User

Welcome Raggedy, Sugar doesn't help me at all. Although last night I went into a Snickers frenzy. And ate like 10 of those bite size snickers. Bad idea. Especially hard with Halloween around the corner and everywhere has candy. We went across the street to this elderly couples house last night, we have become very close with them and check on them all the time. There we sat with their bowl in between my husband and I and made complete pigs out of our selves.
Take care and this is the best bunch of people around!!!
Avrod

Old 10-13-2005, 04:07 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

Welcome RaggedyPrim,

You have found a great place for support. I have found this board a tremendous source of information, inspiration, love and caring.

Good for you that you have made a life style change with your diet. It sounds like you are taking control of your health which will help you deal with Fibro. I know all about Chocolate. I can do without all sweets but yummy chocolate, I have to eat a little bit every day, just a little .

Glojer, thanks for the caring words dear friend. Today is a better day. Do not know why but I am going with it. It is to bad about not being able to take the medication that helped my energy so much..I think that is what has also put me in a constant flare, that and other things. Enjoy your game tonight!

Have a beautiful night everyone, take care.

Peace and love, Hangin

Last edited by hangin; 10-13-2005 at 04:08 PM.

Old 10-13-2005, 04:25 PM   #13
(female)

RaggedyPrim HB User

Thanks to all of you for the warm welcomes! It truly does help to have a great support group, and I feel very blessed today! Have a wonderful, restful evening, and I'll check in tomorrow!

Old 10-14-2005, 03:33 AM   #14
(female)

RaggedyPrim HB User

Hope you all slept well! I don't remember even waking up at all during the night, which is a blessing for me...have sleep apnea and Restless Leg Syndrome...along with the Fibro. and other junk. The RLS gives me lots of grief, so I feel truly blessed when I have a better night! Have a great day, everyone!

Last edited by RaggedyPrim; 10-14-2005 at 03:34 AM.

Old 10-14-2005, 11:54 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Was awake at 3 am. this morning and couldn't go back to sleep, couldn't take extra sleep meds (which I sometimes do) because had an early morning and wouldn't be able to get up. Now I'm wearing down and can't take a nap (cause I can't fall asleep) and tonight our son is coming over with the grandbaby and help with a few things and then we are taking everyone out to dinner. So I am going to be one tired puppy but a happy one! Hopefully sleeping tonight won't be a problem, I don't want this to be the start of a flare been fighting one off and I'm going to win this one. Do you think all that meaness and determination is why I have fibro...he..he!

Glojer

Closed Thread