It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2005, 06:29 AM   #1
(male)

damz68 HB User
Should we get a flu shot?

Should people with CFIDS/FM get a flu shot, or would we be better off not? I am only 36 and have never had a flu shot. This new bird flu, if it combines with our regular flu could kill millions, they say.

Old 10-12-2005, 07:31 AM   #2
(female)

JenniferEvelynn HB User
Re: Should we get a flu shot?

Hey damz,
I get a flu shot every year - except for last year, of course, because there wasn't enough. I did end up with the flu last year. That wasn't fun! You're much better off getting the flu shot and having a sore arm for a few days than to catch the flu.
God bless, Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2005, 07:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

I also get the shot every year. I am waiting for my dr. to get them in. There was an article in our paper that drs. in Pa. are having a hard time getting the vaccine, it all seems to be going to store chains, they are charging $25 and will not accept ins.

Rather have the shot than the flu.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 10-12-2005, 09:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Have you ever heard of people who got the shot having the achy flu like symptoms but not the flu. You know just feeling yucky from the shot? That is mainly what I have heard and have always opted to not get the shot. Of course I have other auto immune problems and I always feel that if I get the shot my body will go into over drive. But with this new bird flu thing and my hubby still trying to keep the cancer away I'm thinking it might be a good idea.

Anymore input out there would be appreciated. I can combine your imput with what the docs say and make an informed decision.

Glojer

Old 10-12-2005, 09:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

A lot of people say they feel yucky the next day. I have already, but to me it is still worth the shot, you just feel sort of flu like without symtons, but I feel like that from fm also at times.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 10-12-2005, 11:59 AM   #6
(female)

April414 HB User

I'm definetly getting a flu shot. I already have allergies and it seems if I don't take my allergy med. I get bronchitis. I know flu and bronchitis not the same thing. The years I miss the flu shot I get a touch of the flu and then bronchitis on top of it. I guess ya'll know the flu can get really bad. One year my Mama's dr. wanted to put her in the hospital for it. The flu they say will be really bad this year killed millions in 1918 and so far I have heard there should be plenty of the vaccine this year, just maybe not the one for the bird flu, I think they are still working on that one. Myself, I figure if I get the vaccine they do have, I have a better chance against other types of flu since my immune system won't be any weaker which it would be if I got the flu-any version of it.
April

Old 10-12-2005, 02:45 PM   #7
(female)

Mikiboots HB User

I have gotten the flu shot every year for the last 17 years. You can't get the flu from the shot because it doesn't have any live strains in it...they are all deactivated. You can get a sore spot on your arm, and I usually do for a day or too, but in all these years, I have never gotten the flu. (Don't let them put it too high right near the joint (force them about 2 inches lower). Before that, I was hospitalized two years in a row with the flu. NOT FUN!! Got mine already from a chain. I would rather pay and get it early than wait for nothing at the doctor's later.....it only cost me $18. Remember, you aren't fully ready to block the flu for about 8 weeks, and it only blocks those it has in the shot. It's a risk they take every year trying to predict what strains will come by about 6 months later.

Regarding the bird flu scare.....no flu vaccine is ready yet for it. They are working on it. It hasn't reached Europe yet (the Romanian ducks were negative for the disease.)

Get the shot, getting the flu is much worse.

Old 10-12-2005, 02:59 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

I iave never gotten a flu shot and every year that I get the flu I say that next year I am getting the shot.

Last year I didn't since there was a shortage. Then later on we had so much where I live we were shipping it over seas. Go figure.

I have also heard that you get flu like symptoms. Well, I always feel like I have the flu so a little bit more discomfort will not hurt.

Glojer, I would definitely get a shot, for you and hubby. Do they encourage him to get a shot? I would think so. I am also very concerned about this bird flu and talking with a friend of mine who is a doctor it is very serious and can be a reality here. So I am without a doubt getting a shot. I am going to call the doc before my "fibro fog" kicks in again.

Good subject, I was thinking of this as I was lying awake last night.

Take care everyone.

Peace and love, Hangin

Old 10-12-2005, 07:09 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

I haven't had the flu in so many years, I can't remember when I had it last. Of course I have an immune system that is so good, it is attacking me!!!! My hubby had the flu 4 or 5 years ago when it was so bad here, but I moved to another bedroom and when I took him to the doc I refused to go in the docs waiting room with all those sick and snot blowing people (sorry about that image).

Hangin we will be checking with his oncologist on the flu shot matter for him and I will check with my rhuemie. It seems all docs recommend the flu shot but I just don't know yet.

I have that achey feeling all the time too, but I really don't want it to get worse if I get a shot for the flu. I do know that this is the worse year I have had for fatigue and feeling weak and I think that makes me feel a little more vulnerable. But if I didn't get the flu going to nursery school twice a week last year to get my grandson and taking care of him even when he was sick....well I just don't know.

Glojer

Old 10-13-2005, 01:05 PM   #10
(female)

movin slo HB User

Hi everyone,
I have always gotten the flu shots. Course I will do most anything to keep away from the flu.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:29 PM   #11
(female)

RaggedyPrim HB User

My dr. here in KY told me she advises all her fibro. patients to get a flu shot every year, since she considers them high-risk with all the fibro. complications we can have. I'll be looking for somewhere to get one!

Old 10-13-2005, 03:04 PM   #12
(female)

Avrod6 HB User

I got a flu shot about 6 years ago and had the worst experience. I ended up feeling so horrible that it has turned me away from the shots. But that was also before I felt horrible everyday anyways. Not sure if I will this year, I have an appt with my rhuemy on the 25th so I will ask.

Old 10-14-2005, 03:17 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

apriltones HB User

hi, im having mine, i am 24. have fibro and asthma. i have had 4 times and been fine and im a right worrier! i too worry of bird flu! do you think media scaremongers too much too? im petrified? whats it like in usa? always on tv? xx

Closed Thread