It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2005, 06:31 PM   #1
(female)

ksp HB Userksp HB Userksp HB User
Just finished my sleep study today and have a ???

Hi everyone,
Just wondering if you can help me out. I had a sleep study done last night and today (They made me stay for the nap test). I won't go into the details of how they hooked me up because I know alot of you on these boards have had sleep studies done. O.K. last night they came in and put the c-pap on me and in the morning I asked them if I had stopped breathing and they said I did a couple of times but that it wasn't enough that I would have to be on a c-pap machine. They told me that I'd have to stay for the nap test and later in the day I asked if there was any problems with my sleeping that they could see from last nights test and she said that I kept waking up. So I'm going through these nap tests and they want me to take a 15 minute nap every 2 hours for a total of 4 naps to see if I make it into REM sleep and I didn't which is good because it means that I don't have narcolepsy (which I new I didn't have). Anyway, they kept calling into my room to tell me to sit up in the 2 hour intervals that I wasn't supposed to be sleeping because I kept falling asleep so I finally had to go walk the skyway looking like a freak just so I could stay awake between naps. OOOOOHHHH some of the looks I got .......... When my normal routine is 4 cups of coffee in the morning and Pepsi (5 or 6 cans a day) the rest of the day, how do they expect me to stay awake with no caffine. I go to bed and I can sleep all night (even though they said I kept waking up) I do not get out of bed and don't know I'm awake. When I get up to my alarm in the morning it takes everything in my power to get out of bed and get to that cup of coffee so I can go to work and yawn all day. I heard I won't get the results from the doctor for about 2 weeks and I've been dealing with this for SEVERAL years so I would like to know what you think it may be, or what this disorder is called, and any treatments the doctor may do. Thanks alto

KSP

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2005, 01:33 PM   #2
(female)

RaggedyPrim HB User
Re: Just finished my sleep study today and have a ???

KSP, I had the sleep study done here in KY and it showed I either stopped breathing or had very shallow breathing many times during the course of the night, so I wear a CPAP every single night and I'm thankful for it. Are you confident in the dr. who did the study? The problem with trying to get a second opinion would be it might not be covered by your insurance company. I know caffeine is a HUGE problem for me...absolutely can't handle it. Good luck with this, and hope you'll let us know what happens!

Last edited by RaggedyPrim; 10-13-2005 at 01:34 PM.

Old 10-13-2005, 03:49 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

Hi KSP,

I have had a few sleep studies done since I have gone through most of my life not sleeping well, even as a little girl. It ialways made my laugh when they hook you up, put you in a strange room with a strange bed and say "Ok, sleep".

When they say that you woke up a few times were they saying that you awoke from your deep sleep to turn or move around? If you don't get out of bed nor remember waking perhaps that is you moving around, IMO.

Do you think that being so exhausted no matter how much you sleep can be from having Fibro? I don't know when you got fibro so I do not know if it applies.

It is good that you are looking into this and perhaps get some answers to help you sleep and feel better in the morning.

Peace and love, Hangin

Old 10-13-2005, 06:12 PM   #4
(female)

ksp HB Userksp HB Userksp HB User

They just said I kept waking up, I did get into REM sleep but I kept waking up. I was not aware that I was waking up nor did I ever get out of bed. I do know that I toss and turn alot because of my pain but I don't feel like I'm awake. I had no problems sleeping with all the electrodes on me. I just hope that this doc doesn't tell me I have to start taking my morophine every night so I sleep all night. I only take it when I HAVE to because I don't want the side effects, nor do I want to build up a tolerance for it. I was referred to this sleep doc by my GP other than that I don't know him. I was diagnosed with fibro when I was about 16 and developed CMP in my shoulder, neck, and back when I was 22 or 23 due to overuse from my other arm being in a long arm cast and trying to be a full-time bank teller. They didn't diagnose it in time so it is chronic and there is no more they can do for it exept have me take pills for the pain and most pain killers and narcotics don't work, it's as if I took nothing, and even morophine just makes me not think about how much it really hurts, but it never takes the pain away. I am 28 and have permanant partial disability but I settled the claim and now I work a full-time job and deal with the pain and the lack of sleep. It's a vicious cycle and I hope it doesn't get worse as I get older. Oh I also have osteo arthritis in my knees so the doc said I wll be looking at knee replacement surgery by my 40's if Im lucky enough to make it that far... What a joy!!

Closed Thread