It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2005, 11:41 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User
fatigue, so much sleep

Hello, everyone,

I haven't posted for a while, mostly because I am so tired.
I seem to be okay for about eight hours during the day, then give out altogether and have to rest (I mean, really sleep) for around 5 hours, get up, eat, am up for a few hours, then sleep again for another 5 or 6.
I've had periods of this kind of fatigue and sleep pattern before, lasting months.
Just wanted to ask if anyone else has this level of fatigue and sleep-need, and if there's anything I can do to get more time awake,

{Peace to all,

Seaturtle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2005, 04:15 AM   #2
(female)

RaggedyPrim HB User
Re: fatigue, so much sleep

Hey, Seaturtle! If I'm understanding you, you're sleeping a total of about 10 hours/day and awake about 14? The 10 hours of sleep is longer than most sleep...but sounds like to me you're doing what your body needs right now to get rest. Are you sleeping soundly...or restless? Do you have family there so it's disrupting what you need to be doing? If not, then I'd be good to myself and just sleep when you need to. See, this is easy for me to say that, since I can't work outside my home and don't have kids here anymore. I can concentrate (when I'm not fogging!) on doing what I need to do to feel as good as I can each day.

Others on the board may have a totally different view on this, and that's fine...just telling you it may not be a bad thing...just different from the "norm"...but when we have fibro., lots of things in our life aren't "normal" anymore.

Hang in there, and hope you're having restful sleep when you are asleep!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2005, 08:46 AM   #3
(female)

movin slo HB User

Seaturtle,
Yes at times I get in that sleep pattern. I just do what I can in my awake hours some times it is just one hour. Then I do what my body tells me to do and that is to sleep.You will evenually get your body back to where it needs to be and things will even out for you.
hugs,prayers and warm wishs.

Old 10-14-2005, 09:13 AM   #4
(female)

Mikiboots HB User

HI, Seaturtle,
I'm in complete agreement with the rest. We have to learn to listen to our bodies and when it says sleep, try and find time to do it. I'm going to school full time and still full-time mom/wife/chauffeur and when I need a nap, well, I have to take it or my world turns upside down. Sometimes, that means getting the young-adults in my household where they need to be, and instead of going home and wasting time driving to/from AGAIN, I will park and sleep in the car. Lack of sleep makes me crabby and foggy. I too make use of my awake time, whenever that is.

I used to be up nights from about 2 am on so I would go out into the living room and do computer work or pay bills, or even knit if that is all I could do. I would stage work like clothes that needed folding for those hours and not worry about the rest.

Do what you can when you can, and sleep if you must. Eventually things will even out.

Good luck.

Old 10-14-2005, 09:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Thank you, everyone! Hearing your responses just reassured me when I needed it kinda badly.
I am alone, only nine cats with me, and they don't bother me (they just take up all the places on my bed, which can be a problem!) when I am sleeping.
The hours of sleep are deep, restful w/a lot of dreams, so I'm not tossing and turning.
I guess what scares me is that my body just gives out at a certain point. I can tell about how much "up" time I have left in minutes by now. I get edgy, shaky, and just v ery fibrofoggish, and I tell myself "just for five minutes I will lie down".
Five hours later, I wake up again.
I'll try to listen to the body and be more patient. I do get angry because there are things I want to do, and there simply is no energy.
I'll hang onto your words that this will even out in time. And maybe try to convince the cats that even though it's a queen-size bed, they might leave more than just a squiggle of it for me....

Peace to all, thanks again,

Seaturtle

Old 10-14-2005, 12:01 PM   #6
(female)

jencat HB User

I too have a need to sleep alot. I get up at 6am (when hubby goes to wk), let dogs out to potty, feed cats breakfast & back to bed by 6:30am - up around 11am, need nap by 2-3pm, then nap until hubby gets off work around 7:30-8pm, fix him something to eat & go back to bed by 10:30-11pm. I've been to sleep lab, neurologists, rheumatologist, etc & all agree fatigue is tied in some way to fibro. Also have secondary dx of 'non-rem narcolepsy'.

I wish you luck with the fatique & can tell you from experience that fighting sleep isn't the answer, give in and give your body the rest it needs, when I do, I feel better, and can sort of function during my waking hours (what few there are).

Hang in there.
Jen

Old 10-14-2005, 12:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Seaturtle, sleep...sleep...sleep! That is what your body is telling you and that is what it wants. When I am flaring my fatigue is overwhelming and I sleep 11hr.s, but usually all at once. Even when not in a flare I sleep minimum 8 and sometimes 9hr.s. Of course I get this sleep by using lots of sleep meds. Otherwise I would'nt even fall asleep just eventually collapse I guess. So do what it takes to help you feel better.

Glojer

Closed Thread