It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2005, 11:46 AM   #1
(female)

suem1424 HB User
Question What Can I Do For Extremely Itchy Skin?

Hi there -
I know this has been addressed sometime before, but I have spent the last 3 hours trying to find that thread and can't!!

I have an extremely itchy forehead and I rub it until the skin practically wears off. My doctor said to put cordisone on it but it doesnt help. Didn't I read there was some non prescription treatments?
This is horrible!!!!!!
Thanks
Sue

Old 10-16-2005, 02:27 PM   #2
(female)

bilij HB User
Re: What Can I Do For Extremely Itchy Skin?

Hello Sue, the dermatologist told me the itching I had was caused
by sensitive nerve endings. He prescribed Zonalon 5 which I used very
little because the itching stopped as suddenly as it started. For awhile
it was constant itching and scratching didn't help. Maybe you could call
your doctor and ask about Zonalon. My regular doctor told me it was
probably the fibromyalgia since nerve endings were affected.( She told me
to try some over the counter cream which did nothing.) I hope this helps.
Bilij

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2005, 02:57 PM   #3
(female)

April414 HB User

It would depend on what is causing your itching. You might to try Benadryl or some other allergy med. About 20 years ago I was put on some sort od sulfa med. which had never bothered me before but that time I itched so bad I scratched til I bled. dr. at the time said take benadryl. Last year I began itching all over but my head was the worst. I'd wake up scratching and my head itching and feeling like it was almost on fire. I had been taking a med. to prevent migraines, my zyrtec didn't really help and once I was off the migraine med. the itching stopped.
Hope this helps a little.
April

Old 10-16-2005, 11:08 PM   #4
(female)

suem1424 HB User

Thanks for replys - I know that its just the fibromyalgia causing this since I wasn't taking any meds the first time this showed up. Just I'll call the doctor if there isn't any thing over the counter. Im making that poor Dr crazy with all my problems !
Sue

Old 10-17-2005, 08:42 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi sue,
bilij is right. it is the fibro. i have been thru that aspect of it too. all you can really do is remind your brain and body there is nothing there to cause the itching. i used to rip at myself till i bled.
for myself this aspect of fm has stopped, finally! the only thing that really worked was keeping my hands off my itch. seemed to make it itch more if i touched it. like a stimulant.
don't worry about making your doctor crazy. that's what they are there for.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 10-17-2005, 11:33 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

Hi Sue,

I have the same thing. I took something for allergies and sometimes it would go away. However, when I took the allergy medicine my head itched

I went and got Aveeno cream and the bath soak..you use it for poison oak and skin that is irritated or inflamed. I find the cream to be a miracle, relieves the itching and cools it.

Good luck. As Blue said, don't be afraid to bug your doctor. He is working for you, bottom line.

Peace and love, Hangin

Old 10-17-2005, 01:02 PM   #7
(female)

movin slo HB User

Aveeno oatmeal baths. Can be bought at most any drug or discount store. I also have used baby oil baths, and lotions. Try to stayaway from parfumes.
Hope you find relief.

Old 10-17-2005, 05:48 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

For my itchy skin that itched the more you scratched, I used aloe vera. Thanks goodness for aloe vera! I don't know what I would have done without it. I got the rash, after taking lots of herbs. They were red bumps that itched like crazy...the worse that one can imagine.

Later, I had my dental amalgams removed, and now I only occasionally get those rashes. My fibromyalgia symptoms are mostly gone. I had a rash lately, after taking more herbs, on my left elbow. It was interesting to have the rash in that area, because last spring, my left elbow hurt so much, that I temporarily had to stop lifting my hand-held weights. I only can assume that this red rash is the result of toxins, leaving the skin. I talked with my dermatologist years ago about it, and he said that one of my rashes was caused by something that was too large for the skin pores.

I found also in addition to the aloe vera, that I would gently wash the site with soap and warm water. Then I would apply the aloe vera.

Last edited by rhody; 10-17-2005 at 06:00 PM.

Closed Thread