It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2005, 05:52 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User
Anyone Just Keeps Getting Worse?

I use to get several good days a week where I can do things. Now I am tired and in pain everyday. Simple chores I cannot do without getting fatigued. Concentrating or trying to read a newspaper has become impossible. I have to take pain medicine everyday just to be able to move around. I've been to doctor to doctor, some say I have Fibro some say I don't and act like i'm nuts when I ask for pain medicine. Thank god I can order some of them online without a script. Is anyone else going thru this where their condition just keeps getting worse?

Old 10-17-2005, 07:17 PM   #2
(female)

bilij HB User
Re: Anyone Just Keeps Getting Worse?

Hello rstarre, there are so many on this board that know so much more
than I will ever know, but if I had one suggestion, it would be to find one
doctor and stay with only one after all the test have been run to rule out
the other diseases that are a lot like fibromyalgia. It is unkind of doctors to
judge anyone on how many doctors they have seen, but they do...When
you find a doctor who believes fibro is a disease, you will get the help you
need. Many folks on this board have a rheumatoligist, a neurologist, primary care doctor and a pain management doctor. That works fine for them
because each doctor knows what the other prescribes. My only problem is
hypertension and fibro and my PC tries her best to keep me as pain free as
possible.
I'm not getting any worse, only bad days and even weeks, but then things get
better. Nothing ever stays the same in this life. I hope and pray you find a good
doctor and that things get better for you. (Please be careful ordering pain medication on line.)
Bilij

Last edited by bilij; 10-17-2005 at 07:19 PM. Reason: repeated words

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2005, 09:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

I've been to so many doctors. I went to two of the top rated Rheumies in the midwest. Got this info from several magazines rating the best doctors. After waitning four months for appointments, one said I did not have fibro and the other said I did. I tried a neurologists. Maybe I had neuropathy. he said it was Fibro. So who do I believe. All my blood tests come back normal

Old 10-18-2005, 09:47 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

believe your body. it knows what it feels. yes with time some of us do get worse. i started out with fibro. then added rheumatoid arthritis, ibs, gerd, rls, enviornmental sensitivity, and some other stuff i can't remember right now. it takes time to adjust to each new added goodie.
continue your search for answers. i found a good shrink helps with the emotional side of chronic illness. of all my doctors he has offered me the most tools for coping with my ever changing body. i found a way to be content and even joyful with my life and my body.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 10-18-2005, 11:00 AM   #5

Sun_Shine HB User

It's hard when you're not feeling better & you don't feel your doctor believes in you. But, don't give up. The doctor that did diagnosis Fibro can you go back to them? Also did that doctor or any of the doctors rule out any other possible causes other than Fibro? Thyroid comes to mind and I'm sure there are many other things that can also mimic these symptoms so it's really important to have them ruled out - otherwise you will be treating the wrong thing. Which is not good & could make you worse.

And unforuately there are days or weeks when I feel worse & then some days where my pain is manageable and I feel like a human. I just hope to eventually get more of the manageable days!

Often times doctor's won't prescribe medication after one visit - they want to see symptoms over a period of time. So I encourage you to go back to the doctor that you felt the most comfortable with and try to start a good dialogue that includes what you're expectations are. Bring a list of your symptoms, severity & what you need help with. But, continuing to go from doctor to doctor is exhausting emotionally.....

Also talk to the doctors about water therapy - this is a huge help to many Fibro suffers and could be a potential help with the pain. BlueLadyLake is right a good counselor can help you come to grips with this & it's nice to have someone who's impartial listen. They can help you with pain management techniques as well.
Hang in there!

Last edited by Sun_Shine; 10-18-2005 at 11:06 AM.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

I have gotten far worse over the years, but add the arthritis, the costro and ibs is not helping the fm.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 10-18-2005, 06:39 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

I went through at least 20 doctors in my search for a good one. When I found one it was just luck, I found him in the yellow pages. Unfortunately, this doctor turned out to be a cowardly man. He dumped many of his patients including me for no reason. I think he had some personal problems going on.

My GP is awful but I was able to find a great PM doctor. He told me when he saw me that the reason he decided to help me was because I had all my medical records including lab tests. He felt that I was very serious about my problem and wasn't trying to get any medication for pain that wasn't needed, basically I wasn't a drug seeker. Isn't that a terrible name, however, that is what they call people who unfortunately have a problem and take meds when not needed.

I would suggest that when you go to a doctor you bring your records, at least from the last doctor. If it was me I would call around to different offices and pointedly ask if the doctor treats Fibro and what is the policy for pain medication. THis is what I did and sometimes I got a flat out no, the doc will not deal with anyone with Fibro. So there are a lot of docs out there who do not want to be bothered.

It is so very hard to deal with when you do not feel well. I do not know where you live but in CA it is the law that a doctors office must give you a copy of your medical records. I do not know if it is a state law or federal. You will pay a small fee and then you have a tool when you go into the docs.

Never doubt what your body is telling you. You are entitled to good medical care. It is out there but you have to look. Is there a reason you didn't want to see the doc who felt you had fibro? THat would be a good one to go to unless you didn't like the doc for various reasons.

I am progressively getting worse with other gems added. However, today was a great day for me. I always tell myself that eventually they will know what to do about FIbro through research which we should push for.

When it comes to talking with someone, I am waiting to get called back to see someone. I cannot wait to unload and have that person on the recieving end not judging. I would look into it.

Take care. I hope you feel at least a little better.

Peace and love, Hangin

Old 10-19-2005, 01:26 PM   #8
(female)

aaronon HB User

Hi,

I do. Or atleast, I think, I do. That could very well be my problem. I've had Fibro forever, or so it seems. I was officially diagnosed in 1993. I had problems way before that to this day. I went the official route of seeking doctors, being told it was in my head, on and on, every med possible....psychiatrists, testing etc. I was on SSDI for 5 years, then very abruptly got kicked off. That was after moving to Texas and being on it here for one year. The doctor that saw me, saw me for 20 minutes. Then I got the official letter.

Devastated, I found work again....have been working for almost 5 years now. I quit seeing doctors for a while. I have my yearly woman checkup, and I do have a GP that we see now and then. If I'm hurting very badly I go see him and he does bloodwork. It's not often that he prescribes something for the pain. Or he suggests vitamins and minerals that I could be lacking, etc.

The reason that I wrote all this, is that right after getting kicked off SSDI, and finding a job, my pain was manageable. For the longest time I could put this pain that I suffer from under wraps, somewhere else. I could get through the days without it debilitating me. Outta sight, outta mind.

Well, in the last two years that has all changed. I'm no longer able to keep it under wraps, to put it somewhere else. The pain has changed for me. It's gotten 3 times worse. I walk around exhausted, in pain and forget most of the time what I'm doing. So yea, it does get worse.

Now, with that being said, It entirely depends on the person. I'm sure that there are others that it hasn't gotten worse for. But, for me it has.

What's changed it? Made it worse? I do not know...age maybe...hormonal levels...could be. I wish I knew.

a

Closed Thread