It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2005, 11:02 AM   #1
(female)

mzzmodest HB User
Has anyone heard of this? Medical Insurance will pay for a Hot Tub?

I don't know if this is true, and have been trying to find any info on it, but a friend of mine told me that my Doctor could write a prescription for it and some Medical Insurances will cover it.
Anyone ever heard of this? It sounds a little too good to be true to me.

Old 12-15-2005, 12:59 AM   #2
(female)

April414 HB User
Re: Has anyone heard of this? Medical Insurance will pay for a Hot Tub?

I did hear something about it, but I don't know if I read it, saw it on t.v. or if someone told me. I want to say that for some things some will, but I'm not sure, ask your insurance about it or ask receptionist in drs. office to ask your insurance, she'll have a better idea of just who there to ask.
Am interested in what you find out.
April

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2005, 05:30 AM   #3
(female)

Kristafer HB User

I used to work for an insurance company. It all depends on the policy. Most of them will not pay for anything like that, but there are some that will. I remember when I used to process claims, that there was one company that had a really awesome plan. As long as the doctor wrote a prescription for it, the insurance would cover it at 100% - no matter what it was. That's definitely the exception and not the rule, but there are a few out there that will, indeed cover it.

I have heard that if your doctor writes a prescription for something, even if your insurance doesn't cover it, you might not have to pay tax on it since it's for medical purposes. I'm not sure on that one, but I've heard it before.

Another thing to check into is the flexible spending accounts. Money is taken pre-taxed from your paycheck and you can use it for medical expenses - even things that insurance won't cover. There are limitations, and again, every policy is different... but it might be worth checking into with your Human Resources/Benefits person to see if you could use that for something like a hot tub if your doctor prescribed it for you.

Kris

Old 12-15-2005, 05:43 AM   #4
(female)

fibro-worn HB Userfibro-worn HB User
Thumbs down Re: Has anyone heard of this? Medical Insurance will pay for a Hot Tub?

I also heard this that ins. would pay for a hot tub for fibro people if your Dr. wrote a script for it. So i aksed my dr. and she wrote the script even though she said she had never heard of it and didn't think it would work. I then called my insurance co. and they refused. So i think that it really dependes on your health insurance. I bought the hot tub myself..

Bev

Old 12-15-2005, 07:46 AM   #5
(female)

mzzmodest HB User

I don't think my Insurance would cover it either..Medicaid. Thanks for letting me know that it is possible. Just wonder what Insurance would cover it.

Old 12-18-2005, 01:09 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

pixiepoodle HB User

I live in Texas and when my dr. wrote a script for a hot tub, I did not have to pay state sales tax. My ins. did not provide coverage for a hot tub, but it's worth every penny to buy one. You could probably save a lot by buying a used one. I had my tub for about 5 years and then sold it and it was in great condition, so the buyer got a good deal.

Old 12-19-2005, 07:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

i use to work at home depot along time ago and people would bring scripts in for hot tubs and like pixiepoodle said you would not have to pay for the tax. i guess at least it was something.
robin

Closed Thread